Has anybody tried the joplin or a adjustable post like it?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Has anybody tried the joplin or a adjustable post like it?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 18:19 Quote
has anyone tried out the new joplin or an adjustable post like it? i know specialized makes one but i haven't heard how any of these hold up, do they rattle? have any movement etc?

thanks

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:00 Quote
ive had a joplin for about a year on a Reign XO and will probably never own a bike without one.A little movement side to side but i never notice it.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:01 Quote
sweet, do you have the remote or the lever one?

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:05 Quote
remote.I think its the only way to go.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:09 Quote
mountain bike action did a reveiw on one and it got 4 stars.

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:16 Quote
I had a Maverick Speedball on my Scott Ransom last year and it drove me nuts. Right after I tightened it, the play came back. It got caught on my shorts and lifted up a few times (because the air pressure just stops it from compressing more, not extending). The bolt had to be tightened REALLY tight or the seat would slip nose up or down. I ended up with a Thomson Elite, and never looked back.

Maybe the Joplin is better?

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:23 Quote
My buddy got a Joplin in December, and his totally failed on him. It wouldnt compress, and when is would, it wouldnt go back up. There was tons of play (the seat would move around,)and the collar that held the upper post came loose rendering the entire thing useless. He's got an Elite now and so far no problems...

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:25 Quote
anti-guitar-hero wrote:
My buddy got a Joplin in December, and his totally failed on him. It wouldnt compress, and when is would, it wouldnt go back up. There was tons of play (the seat would move around,)and the collar that held the upper post came loose rendering the entire thing useless. He's got an Elite now and so far no problems...

Word, it's a good concept, but poor execution - especially considering the price.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:33 Quote
yeah, for those of you who had a bad experience w/ the joplin may want to try the specialized command post, its just a spring, i haven't ridden it except around the shop i work at, didnt' seem too bad there, bike mag did a review of 5 different ones, the only complaint on the spesh was price
i was just wondering if the joplin was better or worse...

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:45 Quote
On principle, I do like having a consistent seat height on an AM or long travel XC bike - you just get to know where the seat should be and use it for balance, no?

Mod
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 20:48 Quote
My Joplin review.

Before trying it I was a hater on the general idea of adjustable height posts..... now I know better!
I really really liked the Joplin, but the whole not lifting the seat after it has been compressed thing was really annoying.

The Specialized post looks great as it's all mechanical, but that does make it much heavier. I think it is around 600 grams. I would have scoffed at that but now that I've tried a adjustable height post I would take the weight hit if it worked flawlessly.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:02 Quote
yeah, the spesh post is 520 w/o the remote,

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:14 Quote
I own the Gravity Dropper Turbo. It's mechanical and works well and is easy to maintain. Light too, under 500g including cable and remote. I'm surprised that they are such an obscure company because they have in my opinion a very, very good product, especially in comparrison to the other posts that are available. I don't even know if anybody distributes them, I had to order mine online directly from the company.

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:15 Quote
No side to side play either.

Mod
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:21 Quote
GordonShread wrote:
I own the Gravity Dropper Turbo. It's mechanical and works well and is easy to maintain. Light too, under 500g including cable and remote. I'm surprised that they are such an obscure company because they have in my opinion a very, very good product, especially in comparrison to the other posts that are available. I don't even know if anybody distributes them, I had to order mine online directly from the company.

I've heard nothing but good things about the G.D. post! I'd love to try one out.... but man does that cable coming out the front look goofy. Not that it should matter I guess. Have you used a V-brake noodle where the housing meets the post?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.076364
Mobile Version of Website