What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What do your parents/friends not understand about bikes?
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:33 Quote
Fox 40's are worth the money

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:48 Quote
That I won't give up biking as soon as i get a new bike

That there are different types of bikes

Cry It sucks. Can't wait till i have control over my money so i can buy a full sus. Frown

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:53 Quote
my parents dont understand that doing downhill on a jump bike cant be done with out broken wrists and that a pair of forks for £400 is fairly cheep.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:57 Quote
face-plant-king wrote:
my parents dont understand that doing downhill on a jump bike cant be done with out broken wrists and that a pair of forks for £400 is fairly cheep.
doing downhill on a jumpbike can be done

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 11:59 Quote
face-plant-king wrote:

err, why can't it be done?

you dont need a sunday/glory to do downhill, just ride

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:01 Quote
"why are all my bikes redicusly expensive & not even pratical" Eek
eg they dont have full mudgaurds, kickstands ect Facepalm

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:02 Quote
well today i wanted some new brakes so nicked my bank paying in book thing, rode into town, grabbed the cash from the bank, went to my lbs and got them, my mom dusnt know yet. This'll be fun!!

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:02 Quote
face-plant-king wrote:
when i wanted some new forks, my dad said that he would buy me some argyle 302's...
i snapped them and guess what!
he didnt...i had to buy my own forks, and now he is saying im spoilt because he spend cash on my bike..that is a lie beacause he hasnt put any input into it at all

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:15 Quote
that I need a car to go for location 3miles+more, don't make sense go pedalling..

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 12:41 Quote
Why my bike is small...

EDIT: Oh, and why it is single speed and only has one brake. Although my Dad did seem to listen when I said his Scott would look loads better if he just took off the reflectors...

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:00 Quote
i'm really lucky, my dad rides so he gets everything and is fine to take me to races e.t.c. And he understands upgrading Smile

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:09 Quote
dad wonders why,
i have one gear, one brake, and silly white handlebars
he also doesnt understand the concept of bearings dieing after a year of abuse and hard riding
EDIT: "silly white handlebars with silly red things on the end"

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 13:28 Quote
my dad only ride's bike with stermy archer 4 gears oldschool bikes for an oldschool dude. he doesnt understand what i get out of doing a donwhill track. he thinks i should be oldschool like him.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:02 Quote
My parents are kind of cool about the whole biking thing, exept maybe how expensive it is, but then I just say "you have a nice bike to, you paid for yours, I paid for mine, ok"

Except the thing that bugs me the most is how my dad thinks MBA (mountain bike action) is some sort of god of the bike world. The latest entry was where it said that you SHOULD NOT buy a bike and plan to upgrade it, it will be more expensive than buying a bike with the parts you want. The logic makes sense, but what bike HAS all the parts I want, answer:NONE. And the way I built my bike it WAS cheaper than buying the next level up (which I would still have to upgrade)...I even showed him in excel...grr.

Posted: Mar 27, 2009 at 14:20 Quote
that a hammer is not a bike tool. whenever i ask my dad for a hand on my broken bike he just goes right for the hammer. he has no patience with stuff like that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.310439
Mobile Version of Website