2010 F1 season

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
2010 F1 season
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 9:32 Quote
mr-wilson wrote:
Nordschleife is deemed too dangerous.
I kinda thought that but posted it anyway! How comes all manufacturers claim eg sub-9min nurburgring times? Surely that's dangerous.

Cheers for the maps. I like monza - now THAT has some history!

Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 9:56 Quote
The new buzz-word in performance cars is Nordschleife. Engineers have always gone there as the variety of corners, straights and elevation can put 2 years of stress on what a normal person would do (pulled 2 years out of my ass.....but they figure 1 lap is equal to "x"). Then of course the lore of and machismo of having a car that was tuned on the most dangerous track in the world.

The record of the track was set in 1983 and stands at 6:11 which is bonkers. Although I don't know if the current crop of race cars could even beat it. Only an F1 car would have the chance. The track is bumpy, super long, zero run off area and having the proper safety vehicles in the right places would be hard. I wish they went back, but I doubt they will.

Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 9:58 Quote
I know that. How can they say that performance testing there is less dangerous than holding an FIA race?

Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 10:07 Quote
They really can't say its safer, except normally the track is closed to outside sources and there is also a chase car for a variety of reasons (safety being one of them). It most likely just has to do with speeds. A sub 10 minute lap is fast, but a lap of 6 minutes is insane, imagine the cornering speeds alone.

Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 11:49 Quote
crazygeorge wrote:
I dont think F1 can die. What sports have been around for as long as F1 (since the 50s) and now are no longer played?

You don't really play F1 do you now. Not many sports cost several million dollars for each event. I really could see it imploding if another big team goes.

I'd have to say that while the fascist may be gone, Ecclestone's here to stay, and he's just as responsible.... quite probably more so.

Posted: Nov 6, 2009 at 13:06 Quote
Many sports have been around since the '50s. Many more motor sports have been around since before that.

That is just a silly thing to say.

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 5:04 Quote
But you understand my point. Sports with such a large following, dont just stop existing.

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 5:18 Quote
crazygeorge wrote:
But you understand my point. Sports with such a large following, dont just stop existing.
Hopefully not, F1 is highly entertaining. The sad thing is, as I sat waiting in the A&E (ER for non UK people) they actually had a TV playing the F1 race last Sunday and I realized I hadn't watched TV more than about once in 6 weeks haha, it was almost strange looking at that black box showing pictures, very weird feeling (we're too broke for a TV).

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 12:19 Quote
I genuinely don't think it has that big a following.... though I don't have many stats to back that up... if someone could be arsed to find TV ratings that would be helpful.

My thesis is that the level of money being poured in is so much higher than its popularity.... and it could quite easily hit crisis if one more manufacturer decides it isn't worth pouring so much money away for not much of a return.

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 12:34 Quote
Because F1 is losing favor in the US and even the UK. Though the UK has 2 current world champions they aren't the most likable people.

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 12:35 Quote
If Renault backs out, the jig is up. End of story.

The following has been dwindling in a big way. Thus all of the rules changes, to make F1 more 'exciting' to watch in order to draw bigger crowd. Major sponsors wouldn't be pulling out if they thought the return was worth it. Clearly it isn't worth it.

I would put a serious cap on F1. I think what makes it boring is that everything is too refined. Everything is just to exact, tested, tested, and re-tested. Built in 3-D CAD. The money is just too much. I would much rather see some racing where they have to get creative with the money. Make every dollar go further. The racing has come to a point that is soo far from reality that is just boring. So many computers, so many people, so many aids, so precise.

I want the precision, but I want the construction of these cars to be creative, and exciting.

When I was at the Porsche Museum, they had a Pikes Peak car that had a Balsa wood shifter. f*cking Balsa wood, because it shaved grams over steel or alloy. To me, that is racing. Using inventive techniques, materials, and design. Not using pure Carbon, and all boring bull shit. Things that the average person can't even come close to really understanding.

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 12:38 Quote
naturalhigh wrote:
Because F1 is losing favor in the US and even the UK. Though the UK has 2 current world champions they aren't the most likable people.

I don't believe it ever had a big following in North America. There is no racing here. We get one maybe two F1 races a year.

ALMS and in the UK the BTCC is much more fun to watch, and way more intense. There are crashes, passing, close finishes. Intense rivalries, and not billions of dollars.

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 12:41 Quote
NASCAR man. I just remember that whole 'stepmother restraining order after murder and drug abuse accusations' thing around Jeremy Mayfield. Hilarious.

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 12:42 Quote
harriieee wrote:
I genuinely don't think it has that big a following.... though I don't have many stats to back that up... if someone could be arsed to find TV ratings that would be helpful.

My thesis is that the level of money being poured in is so much higher than its popularity.... and it could quite easily hit crisis if one more manufacturer decides it isn't worth pouring so much money away for not much of a return.
i havent watched it nearly as much since schumy retired. the rules and regulations have gone down hill since. not enjoyable. when i was little my dad and i got up every sunday morning to watch the F1 race. probably from the day i was born basically. i was inpatient and always running around like any little kid, but i attentively watched the race for an hour and a half. it was exciting. now, not so much.

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 at 12:45 Quote
harriieee wrote:
NASCAR man. I just remember that whole 'stepmother restraining order after murder and drug abuse accusations' thing around Jeremy Mayfield. Hilarious.

I love watching NASCAR. Not going to lie. Something about those cars being at the absolute limit of their performance, inches from each other. There is a significant amount of skill, that people just over look because it is 'NASCAR'.

Which I find lame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012206
Mobile Version of Website