Trail Conditions in Golden BC

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions in Golden BC
O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2010 at 9:59 Quote
fargle wrote:
Huge kudos for the shuttlers that were out - they were really good to us AM types pedalling up the road. Thanks guys!

Thanks for the update!

I'm an AM type that's cleverly disguised as a shuttler. This means that if you stick your thumb out and I have room I'll stop to give you a lift. No thumb means no stopping tup

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 at 10:04 Quote
jitenshakun wrote:
fargle wrote:
Huge kudos for the shuttlers that were out - they were really good to us AM types pedalling up the road. Thanks guys!

Thanks for the update!

I'm an AM type that's cleverly disguised as a shuttler. This means that if you stick your thumb out and I have room I'll stop to give you a lift. No thumb means no stopping tup

heh heh - I'll keep that in mind next time I'm out there and keep a beer in my pack for you. My pal is training for transrockies tho' so he doesn't get any rides. Me on the other hand...

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 at 10:19 Quote
Yes, Mt 7 was great yesterday (Sunday), albeit the usual dry dry conditions. We likely passed you yesterday on the road fargle, and yes we try to drive slowly by those pedalling. Huge respect to you guys for biking up, especially on such a hot day. We were set up in the gravel pit with our RVs and families, with the spouses doing trade offs with the kidlets!

Kicking Horse on Saturday was minty tacky goodness. Drool

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 at 10:35 Quote
T-Dubya wrote:
Yes, Mt 7 was great yesterday (Sunday), albeit the usual dry dry conditions. We likely passed you yesterday on the road fargle, and yes we try to drive slowly by those pedalling. Huge respect to you guys for biking up, especially on such a hot day. We were set up in the gravel pit with our RVs and families, with the spouses doing trade offs with the kidlets!

Kicking Horse on Saturday was minty tacky goodness. Drool

It was much appreciated. We noted your bike gypsy setup in the pit - nice! My buddy has a camper and he's already planning a couple of Golden weekends - moonrakers in the morning, shuttles on 7 in the afternoon and KH the next day.

Endorphins (uphill) plus adrenalin (downhill) plus beer = perfect outdoor cocktail. We shoulda had a beer break before for the second lap, tho. It was hot hot hot, and I just packed the woolies and snow shovel away.

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 19:42 Quote
Trail Conditions for this past weekend:

Thursday: Canada Day "Golden Grind"- The Road from town to the hill was bare and dry ;-)

Friday: Moonrakers, mint. Tacky, few bugs, cooler.

Monday: Moonrakers--> as per Friday. Rode the new trail down from Arrowhead to the Tower Road....props to the designers and builders! Some of the berms were a little loose and dusty....i'm guessing they need more of that Gravelly/Shale type stuff. Makes for some awesome loop options now.

TC

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 at 15:33 Quote
Trail COnditions for the Moonrakers on the w/e July 17/18
Dry, even dusty. Hardly a puddle in sight. Even the permanently wet section at the top of Canyon Creek was dry. The skeets are out in force now.....be sure to DEET up.
The thunderstorms that came through on Monday should have helped.

Cheers,
TC

Posted: Aug 3, 2010 at 11:15 Quote
BC Cup Final and Western Open

$50 for all categories if pre-registered by Sunday August 15th on www.cyclingbc.net
There will be a $10 late registration fee for all registrations after August 15th 2010.Early bird registration ends Aug 15th.Fees will increase by $10 on Aug 16th. Online registration is open until Aug 22nd at 5pm.

Kicking Horse Resort

Posted: Aug 10, 2010 at 8:43 Quote
Dodged the rain on Sat and Sun in the Moonrakers. Not so lucky on MOnday....it pissed down all day long, so didn't get out. The trails were in good shape, still mostly dry or tacky, occasional dust and occasional mud/puddles.( they're well built trails so they drain well mostly). The skeeters are extreme at present and most retailers are sold out of DEET, so BYO and dont stop!

SHould be some good riding once the sun comes out again.

TC

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2010 at 8:46 Quote
toecutter wrote:
Dodged the rain on Sat and Sun in the Moonrakers. Not so lucky on MOnday....it pissed down all day long, so didn't get out. The trails were in good shape, still mostly dry or tacky, occasional dust and occasional mud/puddles.( they're well built trails so they drain well mostly). The skeeters are extreme at present and most retailers are sold out of DEET, so BYO and dont stop!

TC

We were in Golden all weekend and while the bugs weren't too bad at KH, they were AWFUL at the GEAR. Our poor daughter took the brunt of it and is covered in bug bites on her face and hands. I looked almost everywhere in town for bug spray and other assorted mozzie-killing supplies but couldn't find anything. GEAR does sell spray and mosquito coils but the mark-up is a bit hefty. However, it was worth every penny that I paid because it did help somewhat.

Posted: Aug 10, 2010 at 11:44 Quote
oceanp wrote:
toecutter wrote:

TC

We were in Golden all weekend and while the bugs weren't too bad at KH, they were AWFUL at the GEAR. Our poor daughter took the brunt of it and is covered in bug bites on her face and hands. I looked almost everywhere in town for bug spray and other assorted mozzie-killing supplies but couldn't find anything. GEAR does sell spray and mosquito coils but the mark-up is a bit hefty. However, it was worth every penny that I paid because it did help somewhat.

We rode with a lady who was using a Vitamin B1 patch to repel the bugs. I think she said it was safe for the little ones too ( when DEET is not), and she seemed to think that it helped a lot (although it did unstick towards the end of our ride once we hit the pavement back upto the ski hill.) Hope this helps,
TC

O+
Posted: Aug 10, 2010 at 12:07 Quote
toecutter wrote:
oceanp wrote:
toecutter wrote:

TC

We rode with a lady who was using a Vitamin B1 patch to repel the bugs. I think she said it was safe for the little ones too ( when DEET is not), and she seemed to think that it helped a lot (although it did unstick towards the end of our ride once we hit the pavement back upto the ski hill.) Hope this helps,
TC

Thanks for the beta. I've been researching non-DEET options for both myself and the little one and have read that Oil of Lemon eucalyptus is as effective as 15% DEET. I've been on the hunt for the oil but have yet to find it. I'll add the Vitamin B1 patch to my search Smile

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 20:52 Quote
Can anyone tell me where the Mountain Shadows trails are and what kind of riding is available there? Looking to explore other riding areas in Golden. Have already checked out the Moonraker trails and Mt7. Thanks!

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 at 21:07 Quote
Start climbing up from Reflection Lake and you can't help but get into the middle of them. They go on and on. Having a good sense of direction and/or a compass can't hurt you.

Posted: Apr 6, 2011 at 15:01 Quote
http://www.kickinghorseresort.com/resort/events/calendar-events.aspx?nodepage=14043

Melt Freeze DH race this Sat at KHMR

Starts at noon

Posted: May 14, 2011 at 8:50 Quote
Heads up for anyone coming to Golden in the near future to ride Mount 7. In order to save that poor road from early season abuse, a couple concrete barriers are going to be put across the road below wherever the snow line is. Right now that is about 4 K, but by next weekend when the first expected crowds come, it should be up to 6.5 K or even 7 K (above B12). And then another at 10 K when it is possible. Please respect the barriers' message and intent. Not dragging these off and driving above will help preserve the great riding for generations to come. What legacy do you want to leave your little grandkiddies? Are you a hero or a villain in this epic tale?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012704
Mobile Version of Website