How do you drift?

PB Forum :: Beginners
How do you drift?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:34 Quote
I want to learn how to pull a huge drift, but just cant do it. Ive been told to keep my weight over the front so that I keep traction with the front wheel and let the back slide out. But i put as much weight on the bars as i can and lean forward but the front still slips and the back will rarly swing out, even when it does its not by much.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:39 Quote
Its not so much putting all your weight up front as much as it is just throwing all your weight into the bike in the midst of compression in a corner...

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:41 Quote
lockin the back end up always works to

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:45 Quote
mike36 wrote:
lockin the back end up always works to

ha yeh tht's a skid.....nearly though. Hope you're bein sarcastic for your sake.

O+ FL
Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:45 Quote
less front brake, a little more back brake, and keep your weight centered. To get the feel, to to a gravel road, start turning, then lock your rear wheel up. Try this going faster and faster.
just a suggestion...

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:46 Quote
Oversteer, then lean forward and hang on. Putting an inside foot out for leverage can really make some roost.

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:49 Quote
you shouldn t touch the brakes, brake before the corner weight over the front corner you are turning into and get loose, move your hips a little if you want to start it with a cutty, but unless there is a corner to catch you, or you're sam blenkinsop, this usually ends with a huge dab or with you on your arse. Remember-----no brakes..

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:50 Quote
biscuito wrote:
you shouldn t touch the brakes, brake before the corner weight over the front corner you are turning into and get loose, move your hips a little if you want to start it with a cutty, but unless there is a corner to catch you, or you're sam blenkinsop, this usually ends with a huge dab or with you on your arse. Remember-----no brakes..

+1. Braking in corners shows you're not in control.

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 13:57 Quote
Thanks for the help.

When you put your leg out for balence/ leverage should it hover over the ground in case you start to slide out? or should it be on the ground anyway as you go round?

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 14:00 Quote
Hover over the ground, and tap/push when your wheel starts to go wide.

FL
Posted: May 8, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
go resonably fast into a wide-ish flat corner, then just before you start to turn hit the back brakequite hard, then release before the corner. push the back out by pushing on the pedals and just move over the bike as you feel you should. this is how i learnt, and as you get better and better you can use the brakes less and less and use the drift to scrub off some speed to keep you in control. watch vids of pros to, it helps you get the idea. watch sam hill or kris kovarik

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 14:36 Quote
im sorry i have no tips really besides go fast lean hard and pump,

but no everyone who is saying slam the brake.... for the love of berms dont do that lol
it just makes you look stupid, you can always tell when a person drifts the berm and when someone skids the berm, brakes ruin berms.

FL
Posted: May 8, 2009 at 14:37 Quote
rheam wrote:
im sorry i have no tips really besides go fast lean hard and pump,

but no everyone who is saying slam the brake.... for the love of berms dont do that lol
it just makes you look stupid, you can always tell when a person drifts the berm and when someone skids the berm, brakes ruin berms.
i didnt say skid it, i said hit the brakes before just to help the wheel get loose when your learning

Posted: May 8, 2009 at 14:39 Quote
ok then. is this something i can practice at a moderate speed or do i need to be going quite fast to make it happen?

FL
Posted: May 8, 2009 at 14:43 Quote
Just hit the corner flat out no brakes and keep your weight forward and your back wheel will naturally start to drift, take a dab if it goes to far and then get your feet bak on an half a pedal stroke to straighten up. it will go wrong many times before you get it right but its worth it, you have to learn to find the balance point just like you do when you manual

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009565
Mobile Version of Website