How do you drift?

PB Forum :: Beginners
How do you drift?
Posted: May 9, 2009 at 16:40 Quote
If you leaned a bit more into the corner i think you would get a bigger drift, you seem pretty upright when your trying to do it...Maybe you want to try that, good luck though!

Posted: May 11, 2009 at 11:28 Quote
jeunefred wrote:
watch some fast and furious, play some gran torismo and put slick tyres on your bike. you'll be an expert before you know it
joke

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 2:25 Quote
take some pressure out of ur front wheel (so it keeps traction) and put some in ur back wheel (2 make it slide more) then hit it as fast as u can

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 3:40 Quote
How did you get on with this? The best way I find is to put your weight forward, lean the bike, then try and push with your outside foot.
I've been playing with drifts at my local BMX track lately because I went brakeless for a bit and wanted to play around. they have a nice flat corner and all you have to do is get forward and lean the bike, make sure to keep your inside leg out for balance.

Once you're confident, try just holding your inside leg on the pedal for super style points!

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 4:30 Quote
Put your weight on the front heaps, even over exagerate it. The more over you are the better. The back of your bike will be able to slide easier as it will have little force on it. Outisde foot down and just pin it. Learn cutties.

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 11:36 Quote
jarrod12 wrote:
take some pressure out of ur front wheel (so it keeps traction) and put some in ur back wheel (2 make it slide more) then hit it as fast as u can
uh thats pretty much the exact opposite way to start a drift there. fail

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
FlyingFish wrote:
jarrod12 wrote:
uh thats pretty much the exact opposite way to start a drift there. fail

And why is that then?

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 11:21 Quote
how can you expect to keep traction by taking pressure off of a wheel? or get one to break traction by putting your weight over it?

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 11:23 Quote
FlyingFish wrote:
how can you expect to keep traction by taking pressure off of a wheel? or get one to break traction by putting your weight over it?

Air pressure bud. Air pressure.

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
ohh wait i see what you mean, er im a retard

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 14:55 Quote
FlyingFish wrote:
ohh wait i see what you mean, er im a retard
got that right!

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 15:05 Quote
everyone gets free kick at my nutzSalute

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 15:19 Quote
When I first saw this thread I was thinking to myself "this is going to be a joke", then I read your first post and thought about it for a second and I realized that drifting is harder than it seems like it should be.

You don't seem to be very confident going into that corner judging from the video. You need to make sure you are in the proper "attack" position. Personally I like to go into a corner a little ahead of center over the bike, and then depending on traction available move back to center or even a bit behind. One thing that you have to keep in mind, which can help you a lot but also get you in trouble, is the fact that it is hard to break a tire loose, but once it is gone it is hard for it to find traction again. This is why most times inexperience riders/drivers end up in the rhubarb once a drift begins. Once you figure out the point at which your tire breaks loose from traction things will just sort of fall into place. At the speed you are going in the video you would be able to lay the bike down way more and make that corner about twice as sharp without washing out, so you have a ways to go before you can sustain a drift for any amount of time. Counter steering is something else you are going to have to pick up on.

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 15:29 Quote
what i do, is lean the bike into a corner, high speed is best, but medium speed whilst learning. But, instead of tring to drift like you currently are, try leaning forwards a bit more, that way, would wont slide off and land on the floor. as soon as your rear wheel starts drifting, you can shift your weight back a bit, and your front will to. but, it will be controlable. Practise makes perfect tho, takes ages to perfect it. Razz

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 15:39 Quote
The-Hoff wrote:
I want to learn how to pull a huge drift, but just cant do it. Ive been told to keep my weight over the front so that I keep traction with the front wheel and let the back slide out. But i put as much weight on the bars as i can and lean forward but the front still slips and the back will rarly swing out, even when it does its not by much.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I understan what you're saying, and maybe you need some feedback on it, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how I do it, most particularly, because I cannot remember the first time I did it. Those things do come quite naturaly to you as you practice more and more, so don't worry too much.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023831
Mobile Version of Website