Derailleur hanger on my commencal continually breaks

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Derailleur hanger on my commencal continually breaks
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 19, 2009 at 20:45 Quote
Hi, I own a 2007 commencal supreme mini dh. I love the bike, it rides like a dream but I seem to break the hanger alot. I understand that it's purpose is to protect the frame and all but small slide outs on a berm snap the thing like dry spaghetti. Anyone with a similar problem?

Posted: Apr 22, 2010 at 15:15 Quote
rdani080 wrote:
Hi, I own a 2007 commencal supreme mini dh. I love the bike, it rides like a dream but I seem to break the hanger alot. I understand that it's purpose is to protect the frame and all but small slide outs on a berm snap the thing like dry spaghetti. Anyone with a similar problem?

i had this problem a lot so i decided to order a new pivot and bushings. The commencal as really weak swing arms that could be the reason.

Posted: Apr 3, 2012 at 16:24 Quote
You could try a shorter derailleur, I have a basic Shimano 901 short cage on my FS and it's cool

used to snap them a lot on my hardtail for some reason
Good Luck

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 at 3:43 Quote
If you wont a stronger hanger then contact BETD uk. They can make you one and it will be much stronger than the standard crap that come on stock bikes. They are very good dont cost to much very helpfull guys so google them give them a bell im shor they can sort you out. They allso do bearings pivits .hope this helps you

Posted: Apr 4, 2012 at 9:26 Quote
another thing to look at

make sure the axle for your rear wheel is actually sitting on the dropout and not the derailleur hanger

depending on the design of the frame dropout / hanger and bad quality manufacturing, you can end up with an axle resting on the hanger rather than the dropout, and this places huge stresses on the hanger

my buddy had this with his old Banshee Chaparral, went through 12 hangers in one season (we tried everything including gear setup, chain length, changing derailleur)

he snapped the last one in Whistler and luckily we were going to visit Banshee in Vancouver 2 days later, where they diagnosed this issue, gave him a brand new swingarm and hanger under warranty and let us use their workshops to rebuild his bike Smile

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 at 14:05 Quote
My Supreme DH V2 Derailleur Hanger broke awhile back, i heard good things about north shore billet. So far im 100% satisfied, really friendly people too. Good luck!

Posted: Apr 10, 2012 at 14:23 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
another thing to look at

make sure the axle for your rear wheel is actually sitting on the dropout and not the derailleur hanger

depending on the design of the frame dropout / hanger and bad quality manufacturing, you can end up with an axle resting on the hanger rather than the dropout, and this places huge stresses on the hanger

my buddy had this with his old Banshee Chaparral, went through 12 hangers in one season (we tried everything including gear setup, chain length, changing derailleur)

he snapped the last one in Whistler and luckily we were going to visit Banshee in Vancouver 2 days later, where they diagnosed this issue, gave him a brand new swingarm and hanger under warranty and let us use their workshops to rebuild his bike Smile

good point, I've seen poor wheel positioning cause this numerous times

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010502
Mobile Version of Website