How to go about people knocking down your jumps ?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
How to go about people knocking down your jumps ?
Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 11:01 Quote
1) Get permission to build.
2) Post signs warning hikers, people on horses, riders, etc that there will be "trail maintenance and upgrades" happening in the next while. Also post up "vandalism will be fined" signs and stuff like that.
3) Close any trails you are building. Caution tape and signs.
4) Anything you build must appear safe and sturdy. Parents will complain if you make sketchy shit. The stronger and better you make things the harder it is for people to tear it down FYI.
5) Post the level of jumps(green, blue, black), as well as "Caution: drop" signs at obstacles. This will stop people from riding along completely oblivious and getting hurt, suing the city, and getting your trail closed.

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 11:05 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
2) Post signs warning hikers, people on horses, riders, etc that there will be "trail maintenance and upgrades" happening in the next while. Also post up "vandalism will be fined" signs and stuff like that.
4) Anything you build must appear safe and sturdy. Parents will complain if you make sketchy shit. The stronger and better you make things the harder it is for people to tear it down FYI.
5) Post the level of jumps(green, blue, black), as well as "Caution: drop" signs at obstacles. This will stop people from riding along completely oblivious and getting hurt, suing the city, and getting your trail closed.

All great, but the problem we have at my local is any sign you put up is immediately pulled down and wrecked...

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 11:07 Quote
c2crider wrote:
Unhallowed wrote:

All great, but the problem we have at my local is any sign you put up is immediately pulled down and wrecked...
Seeing as if you get permission the city will provide the signs, that is considered vandalism.
Once people start getting owned with a huge fine for vandalism, things usually start to stay as they are instead of getting wrecked. Wink

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 11:19 Quote
even if you have a secluded spot where you have to go out of your way to the city will still find ways to tear down your stuff. ANy tips on how to prevent that besides asking permission and posting signs

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
lupkoski wrote:
even if you have a secluded spot where you have to go out of your way to the city will still find ways to tear down your stuff. ANy tips on how to prevent that besides asking permission and posting signs
Anything illegal will eventually be torn down.
You can extend the life of trails/jumps by building them properly, safely, and keeping them maintained.
Sketchy shit will get torn down immediately most the time.

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 12:09 Quote
we rebuild after they have been knocked down then we wait and hide to see if anyone knocks em down then if we catch them we kick em in Smile

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 17:57 Quote
AidenCrocker wrote:
we rebuild after they have been knocked down then we wait and hide to see if anyone knocks em down then if we catch them we kick em in Smile

lol

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 18:08 Quote
Find out who it is and kick the shit out of them... if you bigger than they are. I had the same problem but they dont come back anymore. Im sure they will get bored and drink some where else eventually.

Posted: Jun 2, 2009 at 18:31 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
lupkoski wrote:
Anything illegal will eventually be torn down.
You can extend the life of trails/jumps by building them properly, safely, and keeping them maintained.
Sketchy shit will get torn down immediately most the time.

I agree with this guy. . . It seems that there is a big problem with illegal trail building everywhere. I live in Texas, 96% of Texas is owned privately and I am finding it very difficult to find land. IMBA is the organization that is trying to help this issue. I know everyone wants to ride/build now, but unfortunatly this beuracracy (red tape) takes some time. Remember the squicky wheel gets the grease. A lot of non-mountain bike riders are begining to think we are a pest. We fly by hikers, take over sidewalks, dart in and out of crowds. I read a research article about mountain biking (peer reveiw journal). It was about when there are no trails mountain bikers tend to ride urban. I find it very true because there are no trails in San Marcos, TX just the longest continuous set of stairs in the state. Guess where I ride. Bottom line is please stop building illegally. Your screwing it up for the rest of us. Do it right the first time and you will not have to do it over and over and over agian.

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 11:26 Quote
I no all the chavs around here and none of them demolish my jumps the only people that do it is the so call land owner. He dosnt own the land that me and my freinds build on> Its really unfair when he comes down and we are building jumps if he sees us he makes us take them down are selfs.

does any one else have that problem?

so we build across the river were they cant get us going tomorrow working on step up Smile

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 11:37 Quote
booby trap with land mines. sorted

Posted: Jul 30, 2009 at 11:39 Quote
andycw wrote:
booby trap with land mines. sorted
ha im a doesy fart so id probs stick a spade in one :L

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 at 19:20 Quote
Some f*cker tore down my jumps today... me and my friend are burnin down his car

Posted: Nov 11, 2009 at 19:23 Quote
TheSandman116 wrote:
Some f*cker tore down my jumps today... me and my friend are burnin down his car

Smart to admit it on the internet.

Stop with the e-tough guy attitude boys.

And sandman, change your tagline before I do.

Posted: May 13, 2011 at 16:09 Quote
A big log fell into my trail the other day, so I built a little latter bridge to get over. The ass holes who walk in those trails have torn down everything I've ever built, this was no exception.

So I got a couple 5" long screw, 2 to the log, 2 to a big root in the ground. Then I rounded the shit out of all the screws so they cant unscrew them, and just incase they try to rip out the jump with they're hands like last time they will be stoped by the huge screws and I also put some screws through each end so if they grab it the underside will give the some shock therapy and a little bleedingSmile

Who's laughing now f*ckers:P

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013049
Mobile Version of Website