CARBON DH BARS good/bad

PB Forum :: Downhill
CARBON DH BARS good/bad
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 8:13 Quote
I don't like carbon bars, because thay can break and aren't cheap! Why don't you get a light aluminium bar? I dare not to ride with carbon bars, give me an alu bar

Posted: Jun 11, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
[/Quote]
No man its not everything that is gonna break:P its only the stuff you put alot of preasure onSmile naahh but seriously that stuff shouldn't break but barss on the other hand tend to break more frequintly when are made of carbon fiber.[/Quote]

So what you say is carbon can not take the pressure?
I totally disagree.......
At 95kg i have run dorados for a coupple of years now, and have newer snapped one and trust me they have got a lot of pressure.
Carbon bars are great, butlike a carbon helmet you should replace it after a crash.
So definatley not worth the price and weight.
But love the carbon stuff as you will see in a week on my yeti 303

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 13:45 Quote
2nd but 2 in the same day same place
xpanco wrote:
freeride-idiot wrote:
i think a frase comes to mind "very light-load of shite"

was this your first time you crash with this handlebars???

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 14:00 Quote
Did you use a torque wrench to install the bars?

What stem are you using? (There are a few stems that aren't too 'friendly' with carbon bars)

Have you damaged the bars prior to the accident?

Carbon is stronger than steel or aluminium (gram to gram), fact. But the problem is, once the structure of the weave is compromised, whether that be a tiny nick in the resin, or a gouge into the fibres, the bars are significantly weakened and should be replaced immediately. Sometimes with blunt hits you won't actually see the damage, the visible side of the bars can seem like nothing but a light loss of gloss has resulted from the impact. But in reality, you can have shattered the fibres anywhere around that point, maybe inside the bar, maybe in the middle between the rest of the layers of carbon. No matter what, any weakness will worsen dramatically.

If you expect to crash often or put your bars at risk of any damage, carbon bars are a bad idea for you. If you're careful, though. You should be able to get away with them.

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 14:27 Quote
i always use a torque wrench for everything had the bars for about 6 months only crashed 2 times but in the same day the break seems to be a very cleen break about 10mm away from the edge of my stem
dh-pete wrote:
Did you use a torque wrench to install the bars?

What stem are you using? (There are a few stems that aren't too 'friendly' with carbon bars)

Have you damaged the bars prior to the accident?

Carbon is stronger than steel or aluminium (gram to gram), fact. But the problem is, once the structure of the weave is compromised, whether that be a tiny nick in the resin, or a gouge into the fibres, the bars are significantly weakened and should be replaced immediately. Sometimes with blunt hits you won't actually see the damage, the visible side of the bars can seem like nothing but a light loss of gloss has resulted from the impact. But in reality, you can have shattered the fibres anywhere around that point, maybe inside the bar, maybe in the middle between the rest of the layers of carbon. No matter what, any weakness will worsen dramatically.

If you expect to crash often or put your bars at risk of any damage, carbon bars are a bad idea for you. If you're careful, though. You should be able to get away with them.

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 14:45 Quote
Might as well just run an EA70 bar or something.
At 265 grams, it's only about 60 grams more than a CF bar. Really not that much.

Posted: Jun 15, 2009 at 14:56 Quote
i ran carbon for well over a year, had some big offs and they were fine. I trust them, but moved to alu simply because i coulnd't find any carbons over 710 wide.

Posted: Dec 27, 2012 at 14:44 Quote
I think I just changed my mind about carbon.
Any of the new CF bars that are out better? (Answer, Thomson, other?)
And, Does running a direct mount stem make a carbon bar a bad idea?

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2012 at 9:36 Quote
jlhenterprises wrote:
I think I just changed my mind about carbon.
Any of the new CF bars that are out better? (Answer, Thomson, other?)
And, Does running a direct mount stem make a carbon bar a bad idea?

from a 3 year old thread?

carbons came a long way since then

Posted: Dec 30, 2012 at 9:44 Quote
carbon bars are comfy, aluminium or or even steel feel harsh in comparison,
don't think i would use carbon cranks tho...

EDIT watch out for pirate copy carbon parts, totally dangerous but look the same, loads around for road bikes.

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2013 at 21:19 Quote
I think it really comes down to who makes it. Some carbon products I would defiantly not support. But some of the nicer end stuff with better lay-ups better technology and hand made I think are safe and I would run them. You just have to be careful and research stuff.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014229
Mobile Version of Website