Juicy 5 Problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Juicy 5 Problems
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 0:27 Quote
Hey
I hope that someone can help me or give me advice with my juicy 5 brakes. I bought them off eBay a while back.

I have been using them for about 3 months now and I've notice a lack of power. I bought the bleed kit off pricepoint and bleed them myself almost 7 times now, but nothing has worked. There aren't any leaks in the hose.

I have also been to my lbs and tested some similar brakes on new bikes and there is a great deal more power.

What is wrong with my brakes? I don't really want to spend money so maybe some advice would be great.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 0:36 Quote
Try cleaning your rotor and changing your pads

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 0:39 Quote
I dunno if the 5's have them but try pad contact.

and I would put money on the fact that you just have glazed over pads. try getting the semi metallic pads this time. I highly recommend Kool Stops.

rubber side down.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
Well I guess I forgot to say that I had cleaned both the rotor and the pads with the alcohol.

I guess my next option would be new brakes pads, or did i just do a terrible job at bleeding?

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 9:52 Quote
bring them in to the bike shop. have them give them a run through. change pads, and you could also try to extend the lever out a bit. they should grab sooner, and hopefully it will give you some extra power.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 10:03 Quote
You probably have an air bubble in your caliper. This happens to most Juicy brakes especially in the Juicy 7's. Take them to a shop and tell them that you think you might have an air bubble in there somewhere cuz thats probably what it is...

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 10:19 Quote
maxwagner wrote:
Hey
I hope that someone can help me or give me advice with my juicy 5 brakes. I bought them off eBay a while back.

I have been using them for about 3 months now and I've notice a lack of power. I bought the bleed kit off pricepoint and bleed them myself almost 7 times now, but nothing has worked. There aren't any leaks in the hose.

I have also been to my lbs and tested some similar brakes on new bikes and there is a great deal more power.

What is wrong with my brakes? I don't really want to spend money so maybe some advice would be great.
Same... I'ved done the exact thing!! I've changed the pads and it did'nt help at all, still got to change the rotor to see if it makes a difference... But the air bubbles in the caliper is what i've been told... To correct it push your pistons all out in your caliper. I will try it soon. Give me some feedback. I'm gettin pretty pissed at my f*cking juicy's!!

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 11:49 Quote
bikeboarder wrote:
maxwagner wrote:
Hey

Same... I'ved done the exact thing!! I've changed the pads and it did'nt help at all, still got to change the rotor to see if it makes a difference... But the air bubbles in the caliper is what i've been told... To correct it push your pistons all out in your caliper. I will try it soon. Give me some feedback. I'm gettin pretty pissed at my f*cking juicy's!!

Well I took my bike to the shop and they said everything was good and that I did a great job of bleeding my brakes, but I wasn't satisfied. So i took it to another shop and they said the same thing.

I did try the lever reach adjust and that really did work.

I put the bleeding block back in to push the calipers back in their bores, but there was no difference.

So... now I'm not real sure what to think...

Posted: Jun 25, 2009 at 8:38 Quote
maxwagner wrote:
bikeboarder wrote:
maxwagner wrote:
Hey

Well I took my bike to the shop and they said everything was good and that I did a great job of bleeding my brakes, but I wasn't satisfied. So i took it to another shop and they said the same thing.

I put the bleeding block back in to push the calipers back in their bores, but there was no difference.

Same, they told me everything was done right. But I'll try something out AGAIN and I'll give you a shout.

Posted: Jun 27, 2009 at 17:05 Quote
bikeboarder wrote:
maxwagner wrote:
bikeboarder wrote:

Same, they told me everything was done right. But I'll try something out AGAIN and I'll give you a shout.
Mine f*cked all up... My master cylinder is leaking a bit(so my system is full of air...) but still, i've found that the lines were probably the problem, my line was kinked at like 3 places and i'ved did like 2 turns with my bars without busting my line but f*cked them up nicely. I say have some new line and if you have the budget, order yourself some Goodridge.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 4:02 Quote
hey im a part time mechcanic working in Ireland and i've seen that problem a few times, a customer had brought his bike in complaining about a lack of power and general softness. I bleed the brakes making sure to get all the air out of the caliper and lever. The brake stiffened up straight away and i thaught it was fixed but after a few compressions of the lever i noticed it began to become soft again. I began to trouble shoot and inspected the caliper first and was surprized at what i found, juciy calipers are made from two pieces and somehow they had becom loose causing brake fluid to leak slowly from the gap in the the caliper and air began to flood the system. It's eay enough to fix there are two torx bolts on the caliper and just give them a thighten. Should be fine after another bleed. Hope that helps

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 5:49 Quote
maxwagner wrote:
Well I guess I forgot to say that I had cleaned both the rotor and the pads with the alcohol.

I guess my next option would be new brakes pads, or did i just do a terrible job at bleeding?

Watch this vid, its for 7's but its still going to work for 5's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mg6NbIjmOM

Maybe you forgot a step.

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 at 6:15 Quote
you need to adjust the bite its a small 1.5 mm bolt that inhances the pressure in the brake, that should do the job!

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 9:41 Quote
bikingbain96 wrote:
you need to adjust the bite its a small 1.5 mm bolt that inhances the pressure in the brake, that should do the job!

Umm, I'm pretty sure there is no pad contact adjustment on the Juicy Fives (if that is what you were talking about).

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 10:21 Quote
maxwagner wrote:
bikingbain96 wrote:

Umm, I'm pretty sure there is no pad contact adjustment on the Juicy Fives (if that is what you were talking about).

yer thats the hammer cheers m8!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019260
Mobile Version of Website