What cranks to run a 25t sprockets?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What cranks to run a 25t sprockets?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 16:06 Quote
I need some cranks for my urban build. i have biked for a while now but im just now getting into the street scene. i know im going to need something like profiles so here is what i want.

im want to run a 25 tooth sprocket in the front and a 11t geisha freecoaster hub in the rear.
what do i need to look for when getting cranks?

a few things im confused about.

What spindle size do i need? i have seen 19mm, 48 splined, etc...
what arms? will any profile cranks work with 25t sprockets?
What should i make sure not to get?

any comments on the cranks or even the freecoaster will be appreciated.
thanks

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 16:21 Quote
pretty much any bmx crank will work. you'll need to find out what kind of bb you have (euro, mid, spanish. if it's a mtb it's most likely a euro). you'll also have to watch out for the spindle size (you're spindle will come with the cranks and most likely be either 19mm or 22mm). you shouldn't have to worry about how many splines the spindle has because the crank arms will fit (lots of companies like profile use a 48 spline spindle). lots of sprockets fit 22mm spindles, but have a little spacer so it can fit a 19mm spindle. i think some cranks come with it too, but don't quote me on that. hope all this helps!

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 17:41 Quote
i can't seem to find any complete ones for cheap right now except for individual arms. so that means i would have to buy the spindle seperate. i have a euro bb and the bb shell is 68mm if that helps.

the arms i have found are profiles and thats about all i know about them

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 19:55 Quote
well, profiles aren't cheap. they are pretty much the best, but you have to pay for it as well. it will be cheaper (at least it should be) to buy a crankset rather than buying each arm and the spindle seperately. there are half decent cranks that you can get for much cheaper though. look into wethepeople royal's, mosh digital's or even redline device's. you only need to know the inside diameter of the bb bearing (the part the spindle goes through).

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 19:55 Quote
You could get the arms and get the Ti spindle. There would be no point to getting the whole crank and upgrading. Usually when you buy arms though it's because you have the crank but want a different length.

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 19:59 Quote
Primo Hollowbites with a Euro bottom bracket and chromo spindle ran me about 250 bucks Canadian and right now I'm running a 25-12 drive train. If you have the dough get the Profiles but that said, I believe that Primo makes a very nice crank

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 20:04 Quote
ya just any bmx cranks that you can get a euro bb kit for. profiles are nice thats what I run

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 20:08 Quote
yeah i found arms for about $80. i was thinking of getting them and then buying a ti spindle for it.

two more questions

how much would a bb be for it?
would 165 work for street? i want a little shorter to give me better foot clearance for barspins

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 20:10 Quote
bb kit for profile is like $30 bucks
165mm kool its all preference really.

Posted: Nov 14, 2007 at 20:11 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
yeah i found arms for about $80. i was thinking of getting them and then buying a ti spindle for it.

two more questions

how much would a bb be for it?
would 165 work for street? i want a little shorter to give me better foot clearance for barspins

a bottom bracket is like 20-40 bucks.

165 may be too short. I run 175 and I can barspin fine. Maybe you have to factor in your shoe size as well? Mine are 10's.

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 15:13 Quote
ur thinking of getting ti spindle thats gunna be expensive just get a primo crank u cant go wrong

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 19:30 Quote
jondurham wrote:
Primo Hollowbites with a Euro bottom bracket and chromo spindle ran me about 250 bucks Canadian

Holy wow... Where did you get them from? I paid $130 for Powerbites with a euro.

climbingbubba wrote:
i can't seem to find any complete ones for cheap right now except for individual arms. so that means i would have to buy the spindle seperate. i have a euro bb and the bb shell is 68mm if that helps.

the arms i have found are profiles and thats about all i know about them

Where are you looking? Cranks nowadays are sold arms and spindle and due to all the different BB sizes, you'll have to get the bb kit separate for an extra ~$30. Depending on the cranks you can choose to upgrade from the cromo to a ti spindle. Unless you are aiming for a super light weight bike, it'll add an extra $70-120 to save a couple ozs.

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 19:48 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
jondurham wrote:
Primo Hollowbites with a Euro bottom bracket and chromo spindle ran me about 250 bucks Canadian

Holy wow... Where did you get them from? I paid $130 for Powerbites with a euro.

I actually just checked the box and it was 239 and I got them at a local BMX shop.

Posted: Nov 15, 2007 at 19:49 Quote
jondurham wrote:
I actually just checked the box and it was 239 and I got them at a local BMX shop.

That explains it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010790
Mobile Version of Website