Should I drink protein shakes?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Should I drink protein shakes?
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 12:04 Quote
cowieuk wrote:
jinx wrote:
I was about to argue with you, but then I saw your profile. You're 13 years old so there's no need to even start an discussion. Come back in 5 years and bring up this discussion if you feel like it and then you'll hopefully read some biochemistry and done some bodybuilding yourself.

Why would I want to be something as uneducated and stupid as a dietician?

Sounds a bit harsh. Pretty sure dieticians ain't stupid.

Stop hating and pulling the age card.

He's to young to understand the biochemistry behind food. And yes, most dieticians are really stupid.
All I can say to him is

Protein (no matter what source) ---> poly peptides ---> peptides ---> amino acids

So the body doesn't care if you take a protein shake or a 30$ steak from the finest restaurant, it's still the same protein and it will be broken down to the same components. If anything, drinking a shake containing EAA is more effective considering the absorbtion than eating meat. Drinking pure EAA means the body won't have to go through the whole decomposition, so it will be able to absorb it way faster. That's why it's recommended to drink EAA before and after weight lifting exercises.
It's just like all that bullsh*t about saturated fat, for those who don't know our daily fat intake should consist of 35% saturated fat.

Another common myth is that you'll have to drink a gainer after weight lifting exercise, which is absolutely wrong,, since you don't deplete your glycogen storage under weight lifting. Drinking high carb/fast carb drinks is only needed when you are doing cardio vascular training in order to restore the glycogen storage in the muscles.

But as I said, he's only 13 and he's got plenty of time to educate himself and to understand why I'm correct and why he's wrong. And he shouldn't use dieticians as a proof of him being right, I hope he understands that in the future. Because, accorind to him a low educated dietician has more knowledge than most biochemical engineers, health doctors, scientists, professors in biochemistry and so forth.

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 12:41 Quote
jinx wrote:
He's to young to understand the biochemistry behind food. And yes, most dieticians are really stupid.
All I can say to him is

Protein (no matter what source) ---> poly peptides ---> peptides ---> amino acids

So the body doesn't care if you take a protein shake or a 30$ steak from the finest restaurant, it's still the same protein and it will be broken down to the same components. If anything, drinking a shake containing EAA is more effective considering the absorbtion than eating meat. Drinking pure EAA means the body won't have to go through the whole decomposition, so it will be able to absorb it way faster. That's why it's recommended to drink EAA before and after weight lifting exercises.
It's just like all that bullsh*t about saturated fat, for those who don't know our daily fat intake should consist of 35% saturated fat.

Another common myth is that you'll have to drink a gainer after weight lifting exercise, which is absolutely wrong,, since you don't deplete your glycogen storage under weight lifting. Drinking high carb/fast carb drinks is only needed when you are doing cardio vascular training in order to restore the glycogen storage in the muscles.

But as I said, he's only 13 and he's got plenty of time to educate himself and to understand why I'm correct and why he's wrong. And he shouldn't use dieticians as a proof of him being right, I hope he understands that in the future. Because, accorind to him a low educated dietician has more knowledge than most biochemical engineers, health doctors, scientists, professors in biochemistry and so forth.

I'll agree that protein is protein no matter where its from. Regarding the rest of the stuff you've said I wouldn't know as don't have a clue about any of it.

What I would say is that he's best off looking for a better source of information himself from a trusted source.

However, I'd be more inclined to listen to a dietician than you. No offence but you have to see that you are a faceless person on the internet. Although what you've said would make me take a peek at sources of information myself if I did go and see a dieticion.

I don't know anything about yourself or Sweden but in the UK dieticians do get educated and I feel calling dieticians stupid is a bit unfair as they do train to be professionals. Dieticians learn things more suited to their particular profession.

I couldn't learn all the stuff they learn but I wouldn't say that made me stupid.

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 12:51 Quote
cowieuk wrote:
jinx wrote:
All I can say to him is

I'll agree that protein is protein no matter where its from. Regarding the rest of the stuff you've said I wouldn't know as don't have a clue about any of it.

What I would say is that he's best off looking for a better source of information himself from a trusted source.

However, I'd be more inclined to listen to a dietician than you. No offence but you have to see that you are a faceless person on the internet. Although what you've said would make me take a peek at sources of information myself if I did go and see a dieticion.

I don't know anything about yourself or Sweden but in the UK dieticians do get educated and I feel calling dieticians stupid is a bit unfair as they do train to be professionals. Dieticians learn things more suited to their particular profession.

I couldn't learn all the stuff they learn but I wouldn't say that made me stupid.

Yes, they are "educated" but to an extent, as educated as scientist in the specific branch (i.e. nutrition)? Hardly.
And yes, I strongly recommend that anyone interested should search some information. Those two links I posted is a good start, especially the first one since it contains many studies which involve weight lifting and nutrition.

And yes, it's always best to make your own opinion, based on the best information available. For me scientific reports, studies and professors provide the best information, hence my opinion is based on what they publish.
My point is, some dieticians is far from reliable, such as the dietician the 13 year old visits.

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 13:27 Quote
jinx wrote:
cowieuk wrote:
jinx wrote:
I was about to argue with you, but then I saw your profile. You're 13 years old so there's no need to even start an discussion. Come back in 5 years and bring up this discussion if you feel like it and then you'll hopefully read some biochemistry and done some bodybuilding yourself.

Why would I want to be something as uneducated and stupid as a dietician?

Sounds a bit harsh. Pretty sure dieticians ain't stupid.

Stop hating and pulling the age card.

All I can say to him is

I couldn't of said it any better.... and it serve him right to start an argument with someone who obviously knows a thing or two, when I was 13 I took advantage of the knowledge people older than me cared to share instead of acting like he knows it all based on ONE dietician.. do your research and prove him wrong .....which you won't.

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 15:04 Quote
jinx wrote:
snaple wrote:
jinx wrote:

That's bullsh*t.
No, I asked my dietician. She knows more that you.

You barely need an eduaction to call yourself a dietician, so I wouldn't trust one. Just f*cking vodoo bullsh*t, go visit a real exercise site/forum and you'll see how wrong she is, not to mention all the scientific reports that she apperently ignores.
Protein powder is in no way different from the protein you get from meat or other protein sources. It's just food in powder form. What do you actually know about working out or building muscles? apparently nothing.

Your whole post was incorrect, feel free to prove me wrong since I know I'm right. Go find a scientific report which proves your bs. Your body won't know the difference between a tasty steak or a protein shake.
When they are broken down to be absorbed by the body they will both consist of amino acids no matter the source.
Since you obsiously don't know anything about bio chemistry I'll help you out:

Protein --> Poly petides --> petides ---> amino acids

Also, you won't get harmed by lifting weights as a young adult.
But, then again, you don't seem to understand anything, there are no evidences which proves it.
As a matter of fact, I've been lifting weights since I was 14 and I've never had any problems related to my body.
I'll help you out, here's a good site which contains an untold numbers of scientific reports, go ahead don't be shy, try prove me wrong.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

This site has also got a load of useful information/ scientific reports

http://www.bodybuilding.com
Just wondering about the lifting weights at young ages. But there is a kid who live by me and he is almost 15 and not even 5ft and even his parents say that many doc's said that it is because he was working out too much at a younger age?

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 15:29 Quote
downhillchild4life wrote:
jinx wrote:
snaple wrote:

No, I asked my dietician. She knows more that you.

You barely need an eduaction to call yourself a dietician, so I wouldn't trust one. Just f*cking vodoo bullsh*t, go visit a real exercise site/forum and you'll see how wrong she is, not to mention all the scientific reports that she apperently ignores.
Protein powder is in no way different from the protein you get from meat or other protein sources. It's just food in powder form. What do you actually know about working out or building muscles? apparently nothing.

Your whole post was incorrect, feel free to prove me wrong since I know I'm right. Go find a scientific report which proves your bs. Your body won't know the difference between a tasty steak or a protein shake.
When they are broken down to be absorbed by the body they will both consist of amino acids no matter the source.
Since you obsiously don't know anything about bio chemistry I'll help you out:

Protein --> Poly petides --> petides ---> amino acids

Also, you won't get harmed by lifting weights as a young adult.
But, then again, you don't seem to understand anything, there are no evidences which proves it.
As a matter of fact, I've been lifting weights since I was 14 and I've never had any problems related to my body.
I'll help you out, here's a good site which contains an untold numbers of scientific reports, go ahead don't be shy, try prove me wrong.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

This site has also got a load of useful information/ scientific reports

http://www.bodybuilding.com
Just wondering about the lifting weights at young ages. But there is a kid who live by me and he is almost 15 and not even 5ft and even his parents say that many doc's said that it is because he was working out too much at a younger age?

It's not related to weight lifting. The reason some doctors say that, is because of the same reason why other doctors say you might grow taller by lifting weights: it's not their branch of reasearch. And even within the same branch, scientists might and will have different opinions. As I said, use that search engine I posted and build your own opinion. I started lifting weights when I was 13-4 and I'm taller than my parents, which is no proof in either way. Some doctors would say that it was because of all my exercise during younger age and some will say that I might have been taller if I hadn't lifted weights. You get my point?

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 15:34 Quote
Only if you are absolutely DEAD after you finish your workout. Because then your body needs help to repair itself.
But you should really just eat some steak and potatoes. The Irish LIVE on that stuff.

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 15:43 Quote
nosirrom wrote:
Only if you are absolutely DEAD after you finish your workout. Because then your body needs help to repair itself.
But you should really just eat some steak and potatoes. The Irish LIVE on that stuff.

EAA is recommended after weight lifting, but I agree, plain ordinary food will suffice.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 17:42 Quote
I think you would be wise to see a homeopathic nutritionist, instead of getting adivce through this forum on something you will put into your body.

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 17:46 Quote
Dude protein is not going to hurt you. It is in food that we eat everyday. And most doctors will just reccomend to eat whole foods, but a protein shake is not going to cause bad side effects.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 17:53 Quote
bblades05 wrote:
Dude protein is not going to hurt you. It is in food that we eat everyday. And most doctors will just reccomend to eat whole foods, but a protein shake is not going to cause bad side effects.

Depends on the quality of the brand he is going to use. Jumping right to protein use is probably fine, but I think a person should look at whole foods and take into account their individual metabolic rate and activity levels as well as age and lactic threshold. I think my original suggestion to seek a homepathic nutritionist is the way to go FIRST, especially for young bloods.

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 18:04 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
bblades05 wrote:

Depends on the quality of the brand he is going to use. Jumping right to protein use is probably fine, but I think a person should look at whole foods and take into account their individual metabolic rate and activity levels as well as age and lactic threshold. I think my original suggestion to seek a homepathic nutritionist is the way to go FIRST, especially for young bloods.
Yeah whole foods are deffinately the best answer and the way to go. But I'm just saying that lots of doctors will just reccomend to eat whole foods instead of powder.

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 20:28 Quote
bblades05 wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:
bblades05 wrote:

Yeah whole foods are deffinately the best answer and the way to go. But I'm just saying that lots of doctors will just reccomend to eat whole foods instead of powder.

I have some strong opinions about doctors. But I do agree that whole foods is the best place to start.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 at 20:33 Quote
dirtjumper183 wrote:
I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and im just wondering if i should take extra protein
like a protein shake or somthing
thanks
if your trying to build muscles its not gonna do anything but help you out ha

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 at 1:57 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
Depends on the quality of the brand he is going to use. Jumping right to protein use is probably fine, but I think a person should look at whole foods and take into account their individual metabolic rate and activity levels as well as age and lactic threshold. I think my original suggestion to seek a homeopathic nutritionist is the way to go FIRST, especially for young bloods.

Ready?

aaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaa.

They might be good for bruising and placebo cures for travel sickness... but not much else.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023213
Mobile Version of Website