why do some dirt jumping bikes only have one brake, and why is it at the back?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
why do some dirt jumping bikes only have one brake, and why is it at the back?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 at 13:40 Quote
lately i have been looking at a lot of bikes due to i have destroyed mine, and broke my parents bike a could of times. what i would like to know is why do some dirt jumping bikes only have one brake, is this because of the bake being a disc brake?

answers would be great thanks!!!

blackeyeddevil

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 at 13:47 Quote
because you don't need to stop really quick for dirt jump. if it was the front brake only then you could grab a handfull in a rush and go OTB but rear just skids. some dj bikes actually do use v brakes or bmx type u brakes.,

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 at 13:58 Quote
well i am sort of new to dirt jumping so would you recommend that i should get a bike with both brakes. plus Ive heard that you need to use 60% front brakes and 40% usage of back brakes, is that true?

blackeyeddevil

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 at 14:01 Quote
that is true but that's generally aimed at downhill and other types of riding. tbh it's personal preference. a bike will usually come with a front brake anyway. if you like it, keep it, if you don't, take it offSmile

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 at 14:05 Quote
thanks for the help
blackeyeddevil

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
It keeps the bike slightly lighter, makes the bike looks cleaner, there is no need to shove the front brake through the stem for barspins, and you only need a back brake for dirt jumping because you're not going at high speeds. Though you could dirt jump with a front brake, there's nothing wrong with it.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 at 19:05 Quote
i oonly ran a back brake just because of the cables being in the way. even when i did run the brake cable through the stem it kept frying it... and u don really need a front brake anyways.

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 at 2:36 Quote
because it would make the bike lighter, (and some people like to barspin), it also would be easier to lengthen one cable instead of threeBig Grin

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 at 2:39 Quote
now brakeless: theres a stupid fasion statement "all the cool interrnet people do it so im going to do it too" (N)

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 at 13:06 Quote
something interesting about the back brake is that it is actually a "fad" or "trend" that many follow without question - your back brake is very ineffective if you need to stop in an emergency, and perhaps one reason why many BMX riders have gone brakeless

running a rear brake on a BMX does not really stop you in a real emergency -

it just makes the tire skid, as you won't have time to lean right back and brake calmly and slowly in an emergency like a pedestrian stepping out in the road, or you take a bad line landing a DJ and a tree is coming towards you

as you use a back brake, your weight shifts forward onto the front wheel, making the back brake even less effective, as your rear tire is not making effective traction with the riding surface but just lifting up, slipping across the surface causing it to shed rubber!!

its much easier to setup the front brake using a hollow SFN so that you can spin the bars or tailwhip without effecting the brake, than on the rear brake which requires a longer cable / hose (only allows 1 spin, you then need to un-spin) or use a rotor (gyro) for multiple spins

90% of your bike's braking power is on the front wheel, that is a fact - once you get used to using your brakes you will NOT go over the bars, but be able to stop with full control

George French (the owner of G-Sport BMX company who make awesome hubs, rims, etc.) used to write regular technical articles for the UK's RIDE BMX magazine and successfully argued about why riders should actually run a front brake, instead of just a rear brake for BMX - in addition to ease of setup for bar spins, and front braking power, it allows alot of front brake tricks, which runnning a rear brake only does not - a good BMX rider can easily do tiretaps using balance and pedal pressure

his thinking applies to MTB Dirt Jumping equally Wink

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007899
Mobile Version of Website