Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 19:53 Quote
One month on Keto diet. Lost 15 pounds. 15 to go.

Challenge will be to keep it off, but now I know I can live without copious amounts of pastries.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 20:02 Quote
I have enough shit to do between work, my aging parents, wife and looking after the Fortress Of Solitude. (home)
I'll let someone else build my wheels and pay the bill.

I was shooting the sh*t with the boys at Skyride. In conversation about how busy they are right now your 3 week wheel wiat came up. They agreed that was a long wait time. They are super busy right now with the park opening tomorrow. If I asked them to rebuild a wheel right now I'm guessing about a week wait. Not three.

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
What's the best way to learn wheel building? It's always seemed quite intimidating as the consequences of a bad job are pretty major.

Take a workshop. Or just buy a stand and watch youtube. LOL!
Sheldon Brown wheel building website is what I have used to build a couple wheels. I'd rather ride than build wheels now.

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 21:58 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
What's the best way to learn wheel building? It's always seemed quite intimidating as the consequences of a bad job are pretty major.

Just get a truing stand and maybe a tensiometer and have at it. The first couple will probably be shit unless you’re great at following instructions but the quality will only get better.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 22:12 Quote
husstler wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

Just get a truing stand and maybe a tensiometer and have at it. The first couple will probably be shit unless you’re great at following instructions but the quality will only get better.

This I’ve done about 4 sets now with parts for another sitting downstairs. The most helpful advice I took from a real pro was get spokes cut for your hubs / rims. Makes things go smoothly.

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 22:28 Quote
If it’s just a rim you need a neat trick I learned was to tape the new rim to the old one and transfer the spokes. This only works if it’s the same rim and good spokes.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 5:06 Quote
On vacation suckaz!!!! Gona load the trailer and head for revy to get some laps tomorrow. We will see y’all at bike park next weekend!

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 5:48 Quote
I learned how to build a wheel by reading the book called the bicycle wheel by Jobst Brandt

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 7:13 Quote
Where are you guys with trailers staying in Golden? My in laws have a trailer (I don't, I have a tent) and they are thinking about a weekend there where they can stay in their trailer and we can stay in our tent.

Gotta take advantage of free babysitting while we can.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 8:44 Quote
husstler wrote:
Where are you guys with trailers staying in Golden? My in laws have a trailer (I don't, I have a tent) and they are thinking about a weekend there where they can stay in their trailer and we can stay in our tent.

Huzzla there's this hippy ass skydiving/ human kite place that has tenting, trailering and rents out yurts in golden. If you can tolerate the behaviour of people who experience that adrenalized self congratulatory bro down that comes after jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, it's a good spot.

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 8:59 Quote
obee1 wrote:
husstler wrote:

Huzzla there's this hippy ass skydiving/ human kite place that has tenting, trailering and rents out yurts in golden. If you can tolerate the behaviour of people who experience that adrenalized self congratulatory bro down that comes after jumping out of perfectly good airplanes, it's a good spot.

There is no such thing as a perfectly good airplane. Especially at a DZ.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
jerome wrote:
I learned how to build a wheel by reading the book called the bicycle wheel by Jobst Brandt

This. Jobst Brandt. Only half the book is how to build. The other half of the book is the engineering behind it all.

Sadly. I lent my copy out and never got it back.

Wow my head hurts. How did that happen for $23? I suspect somebody bought me some drinks.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 9:37 Quote
husstler wrote:

Golden campsite is by the pool.
Cedar Lake site also, usually mosquito infested but direct access to trails.
Blue mountain cruiser is packed and ready to head eastward(Edmonton area) for family reunion.

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
Sounds good, thanks for the recommendations guys. I will post up when we book in case anyone is in the area and wants to do a ride up and down Mt 7 with me

Posted: Jun 21, 2019 at 10:57 Quote
What do you guys think of that Specialized Fuze update?

I'm selling my Remedy and dipping... well jumping in with both feet... into the evil realm of e-bikes. So I need a pedal power bike. Goal with my pedal power bike is to have something I can ride with my daughter on mellow trails, ride with my son on the pump track... and smash the local office lunch loops when I'm not on an e-bike ride.

Wanting something a bit aggressive.

Was looking at Chameleons or the NS Bikes Eccentric Evo.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.071063
Mobile Version of Website