Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 16:46 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Who here plays guitar? Looking for some input on a few things!

I play Ajax and so does Fulbug or 51... number something now. However he only pops in here from time to time now.
Word, for the longest time I payed doom metal and punk covers running an Ibanez rg (I have 5 of them) with Invaders through a little big muff and a ts808 into the front of my block letter 5150 with a mesa 2x12.

I've started playing more classic rock type stuff with my dad and a few of his friends when I'm at home for days off. My existing rig doesn't really work well with them. I am looking at getting a second head / cabinet & pedal board to just leave at home That's better suited for this.

I have a a gretsch projet with broadtrons and a la cabronita tele with tv classics that I'm likely going to use, I'm not sure what to pair these with though. Have any recommendations as to what I should be looking into?

A tele sounds amazing through a fender twin reverb but it’s not exactly classic rock sounding. I’m old school and very out of touch in new guitar stuff so i’d suggest a Marshall stack for the classic rock tone you’re after.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 16:55 Quote
@mrfrenchy69 Plays some guitar... where's that dude hiding?

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 17:13 Quote
d-man wrote:
Our valley residents have stooped to a new low. Found about 50 medium sized fir trees cut down and across the trail. This happened to the Trans Rockies race last month also. f*cking NIMBY's here a so against mountain bikes it's crazy. The local hiking association has deemed the Brewer Lake trail as non mechanized too and we've been riding that trail for 20 years. Unbelievable that the government pisses on mountain bikes when they are one of the largest tourism user groups coming into the valley right now. Local businesses are not stepping up to help fight for trails but they sure like the cash being dropped.
So glad I'm starting holidays tomorrow and going to the west Kootenays where mountain biking is not a crime!

#bali

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 19:00 Quote
MHY wrote:
Anyone else addicted to JRE podcasts?

i am addicted. if there was a better word than addicted i would be that.

just back from camping in rocky mtn house. nice place! will return.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 19:08 Quote
d-man wrote:
Our valley residents have stooped to a new low. Found about 50 medium sized fir trees cut down and across the trail. This happened to the Trans Rockies race last month also. f*cking NIMBY's here a so against mountain bikes it's crazy. The local hiking association has deemed the Brewer Lake trail as non mechanized too and we've been riding that trail for 20 years. Unbelievable that the government pisses on mountain bikes when they are one of the largest tourism user groups coming into the valley right now. Local businesses are not stepping up to help fight for trails but they sure like the cash being dropped.
So glad I'm starting holidays tomorrow and going to the west Kootenays where mountain biking is not a crime!

darcy thats some hilarious bullshit right there. half the vehicles in your town have bike racks on them. at least half.
not to mention that "any concealed or camouflaged device designed to cause bodily injury when triggered by any action of a person making contact with the device" is illegal in Canada and fines and/or imprisonment is the stated outcome. as i'm sure a complaint has already been made with the local constabulary, the best way to make police respond is through constant and repeated complaints. i would encourage you to make a personal complaint while identifying the obvious danger those NIMBY actions could cause.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 19:11 Quote
Crisco, we did 5620 on Tuesday. Fun ride. But...it was hot as hell up there and like a dumbass I brought one little bottle and ended up getting pretty dehydrated. The climb isn’t that tough but you’re pretty exposed at times and the sun just messed me up. I was pouring sweat!!!

Hit up the star again this afternoon. Back on a rental. This time the 27.5 Aurum HSP. Verdict is in. Wagon wheel DH bikes are legit. At least that one. The 27.5 version felt slow and I had to work way harder to keep the speed I needed to clear everything. Plus the brake bumps...

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 19:22 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
Crisco, we did 5620 on Tuesday. Fun ride. But...it was hot as hell up there and like a dumbass I brought one little bottle and ended up getting pretty dehydrated. The climb isn’t that tough but you’re pretty exposed at times and the sun just messed me up. I was pouring sweat!!!

Hit up the star again this afternoon. Back on a rental. This time the 27.5 Aurum HSP. Verdict is in. Wagon wheel DH bikes are legit. At least that one. The 27.5 version felt slow and I had to work way harder to keep the speed I needed to clear everything. Plus the brake bumps...

I can only imagine how wicked a 29” DH sled is....

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:05 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Who here plays guitar? Looking for some input on a few things!

I play Ajax and so does Fulbug or 51... number something now. However he only pops in here from time to time now.
Word, for the longest time I payed doom metal and punk covers running an Ibanez rg (I have 5 of them) with Invaders through a little big muff and a ts808 into the front of my block letter 5150 with a mesa 2x12.

I've started playing more classic rock type stuff with my dad and a few of his friends when I'm at home for days off. My existing rig doesn't really work well with them. I am looking at getting a second head / cabinet & pedal board to just leave at home That's better suited for this.

I have a a gretsch projet with broadtrons and a la cabronita tele with tv classics that I'm likely going to use, I'm not sure what to pair these with though. Have any recommendations as to what I should be looking into?

Nothing says classic rock like a Marshall.
- If looking for classic sounds from the amp look at the studio series.
- If looking for classic sounds but want to use pedals for drive look at the Origin series. This is what I do and use pedals (Diezel VH4, REVV G3) for higher gain.
- If looking for all in one look at a Marshall DSL. It will do classic rock and heavier tones with reverb on board. You can still throw a high gain pedal in front of it too if you want to go modern metal gain.
DSL is probably the most versatile of all them. Check out some Youtube demo vids and see.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:10 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
f*ck line choice, just roll over everything... it's crazy.

I'm strongly considering moving to a 29'er now. They roll so much better it's not even funny, I loved my Tracer 29 but the geo wasn't as dialed as they are now and wheels weren't up to par back then so they felt way too flexy. Wheels have come a long way since then and the geometry is totally dialed for big wheels these days.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
f*ck line choice, just roll over everything... it's crazy.

I'm strongly considering moving to a 29'er now. They roll so much better it's not even funny, I loved my Tracer 29 but the geo wasn't as dialed as they are now and wheels weren't up to par back then so they felt way too flexy. Wheels have come a long way since then and the geometry is totally dialed for big wheels these days.

Yeah its on at this point. My Kona 153 is so much more capable than the 8” DH 26” bikes I’ve had its not even fair.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:15 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
urinalmint wrote:

Except for the weight.
I looked at and considered a 29er DH bike but all are over 40 lbs.
Get this new Slayer instead and throw a 190mm MRP Barttlet on it or 180mm Boxxer.
Aluminum, dual crown and burly build you’ll be in the 36-37 lbs range with the big wheel.
If the aluminum ones were available sooner I would probably be riding one right now instead of the 27.5 DH bike.
No aluminum version until November.

This is the new Carbon 70 Slayer model at Skyride right now. Looks pretty badass if looking at long travel and big wheel.

photo

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:38 Quote
Any of you going to sage fest or proving grounds?

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:40 Quote
I dunno about that... a buddy has a V10 29'er that's 36lbs, which is totally reasonable imo.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:40 Quote
The release vid for the slayer is a nice bit of eye candy if any y’all haven’t seen it.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:42 Quote
I could deal with a 40 lb death roller

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.044602
Mobile Version of Website