Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 19:57 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
Was seriously thinking of going to Hangtown to see 5 & 222 ! I would think 222 would be a top 10 guy, 5 to be a top 20. It would be gratifying to see them both in the top 10 or better. GO OLD GUYS !

Right? I’m bummed they don’t race at Glen Helen anymore. Thats about an hour from me and I use to always go to that race for several years in a row back when Carmichael, Pastrana and several other greats were all in their prime. They were so fast in person it’s crazy!

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 20:03 Quote
I spent so many hours building trails throughout my teens and early 20s. Like 1000hrs+ is probably a realistic number. And I am the same way, when IMBA came in and started telling us how to build. And then I had to have a saw certification to run my Chainsaw on trail board days... Then they started trying to sanitize my favorite technical trails in the name of "accessibility" and I promptly f*cked off.

I was doing a decent amount of renegade building and I ended up building a badass 4 mile long trail with 3 buddies. Like full on hidden entrance and exit. We rode the shit out of that trail for 4 years before someone showed someone who let their lame buddy know where it was.. They blew it up in IG and strava. Forest Circus shut it down less than 6 months later.

It's a first world riders problem, but I litterally get bored on 90% of the trails out.. So many flow trails.. I always ask guys what what the hardest trail is locally, and most of the time they tell me the trail forks answer, but a few times I have been showed the local goods and they are always super rowdy and hands down the most fun experiences.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 20:23 Quote
Trails that flow > flow trails

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 21:13 Quote
I don’t like to flow. I like chunk.

If I want to flow I can go swimming.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 21:18 Quote
It takes a skilled rider to ride chunk and tech well/fast.

Every bike park hero can style down a flow trail at Mach chicken.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 22:27 Quote
I really enjoy trail building... like a bit of forest bathing with something for my hands to do that satisfies the lack of attention span

Trail taste... I like em all

ya type three fun trails are great. But for me there's a huge difference between the satisfaction of accomplishment and something that actually feels fun...

My favourite trails are often some of the easiest ones around if not the absolute easiest, because somehow they always have a way of bringing out the pure giddy awesome fun.

Why is it that 99.689% of mountain bikers feel the need to tell anyone that will listen, at a volume level of eleven, that their favourite trail is "insert name of hardest trail they know in the area here"

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 22:37 Quote
Hangtown is sick. Love the othg races out there

O+
Posted: May 19, 2022 at 7:08 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
the covid crowd trying to get outdoors has been a massive shitstain on cycling.

Yo, muh CERB, bro. Those clowns will have buyers remorse after spending $10k on a dentists bike as things financially reset. First things to go on Craigslist for pennies on the dollar.

Is it uncomfortably predatory that I am holding off on buying a new bike until the bottom falls out of $7k NX bikes, and they get resold cheap? Guessing November-ish ...

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 7:15 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Hangtown is sick. Love the othg races out there

Kind of like this forum ( Over the Hill ) LOL
I didn't know that they were still running those races there, I've been out of it for awhile. I do follow the REM races at Glen Helen through Motocross Actions web site though. Looks like a great time !

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
husstler wrote:
Is it uncomfortably predatory that I am holding off on buying a new bike until the bottom falls out of $7k NX bikes, and they get resold cheap? Guessing November-ish ...

Not at all. It’s capitalism and a reflection of the hierarchy of humanity. I’d say by fall there’ll be all sorts of bargains to hoover up. Like 2008 on steroids, coke, and charging hard with a bottle of VSOP brandy in hand.

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 8:51 Quote
I pretty much ride by myself now or maybe with 2-3 other guys every couple of weeks.
Strava is a joke IMO. The I have to get higher on the list mentality and riding around with a tablet strapped to my bar has zero appeal. So I ride solo most of the time. #f*ckstrava

As far as new MTB vs. BITD I’m actually somewhere in the middle. Some new organization can be good if not taken to far. Plus some of the old school douchebagery that went on BITD I’m actually glad it’s gone.
I don’t want to go back there. Somewhere in the middle is just fine for me. That said everyone has to be the right voice so the rope gets pulled to far both ways for me.

I didn’t join the local bike club last year and may pass again this year. We’ll see. The strength in numbers seems to actually get money and a few new trails built. However it’s a 50/50 toss up if said new trail is something I want to ride anyway. I can think of a hand full of new trails built legitimately in parks over the last few years. One good and the others meh.
Add to this the constant hassle of organized MTB giving you the sideways glance for going out and building rouge trails. Hell even clearing and maintaining existing trails without “logging your minutes” has become a no no activity. It’s not worth the hassle anymore, I’ve dropped out of the build game. Rouge or otherwise.
I’ll leave that part/hassle to the 20-30 somethings. I’m build retired.

Local trails going in on private land at a resort traditionally known for golf have actually been pretty good. However after… 4? Maybe 5? years an excellent climb trail designed for all has been bulldozed because rich people need more 2 million dollar homes with views. Real Estate is always king in the end. They say more emphasis will be put on future trail planning to coexist with future housing development so trails are not lost again. We’ll see. In the end if housing dollars look to good to be passed up I’m sure more trail will go. But hey, it’s private land. They can do whatever they want.

According to a couple of studies by actual educated people smarter than I our civilization as we know it is due to pack it in sometime around 2040 or sooner. I’ll be somewhere around 70 years of age by then anyway so it’s the perfect time to check out. I know first hand exactly what happens when one climbs over that age and factors like dementia, heart disease and cancer come into play. Add to that the “quality of living standard” if one manages to stay healthy. Pretty sure I’m not interested in that status quo either.

There’s your happy thought of the day. Back to living good for the next 20! LOL

O+
Posted: May 19, 2022 at 8:59 Quote
Call me old skool, but it's never been about Strava times or speed for me (and I did race a bit back in the early '90's). It all depends on my mood, most of the time I am happy just groovin' by myself in the woods, but if the mood strikes, and the conditions are right, I may be inclined to push it a bit just to live on that ragged edge. I always enjoy the few times I get to ride with others and always appreciate those that shred way harder than my skills will allow!

I mostly enjoy hand-cut techy type trails that offer a bit of a mix of rocky, rooty, rutty, steep and maybe a couple of smaller jumps, drops or rolls. That being said, there is also something about a well-built, machine cut flow trail with hero dirt and perfect PNW conditions to just check out of reality and go with the zen flow.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2022 at 9:02 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
According to a couple of studies by actual educated people smarter than I our civilization as we know it is due to pack it in sometime around 2040 or sooner. I’ll be somewhere around 70 years of age by then anyway so it’s the perfect time to check out. I know first hand exactly what happens when one climbs over that age and factors like dementia, heart disease and cancer come into play. Add to that the “quality of living standard” if one manages to stay healthy. Pretty sure I’m not interested in that status quo either.

If my plan plays out, I will be on my porch, sucking on a good stogie and a glass of quality scotch, smiling while all the ill-prepared sheeple freak out like the sky is falling, and it may well be!

Cheers!

Posted: May 19, 2022 at 9:16 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Local trails going in on private land at a resort traditionally known for golf have actually been pretty good. However after… 4? Maybe 5? years an excellent climb trail designed for all has been bulldozed because rich people need more 2 million dollar homes with views.

No need for the “woe is me, rich people are bad” vibes. Leave that for the broke crowd at the MTB club hangouts and pity parties.

Those Predator folks aren’t rich. Rich people don’t buy real estate in hot markets at peak price. Rich people develop the resorts. God forbid they have to live among the vast herd of mindless undulates. There’s a handful of genuinely wealthy people who live at Predator but most of that crowd are fur coat, no knickers type, leveraged to death just to keep their crusty fingers within grabbing distance of the Joneses. It’s a psychological cancer in the west and prevalent in the Okanagan, but slightly less so in Vernon. Rich folks don’t waste money on HOA fees living in a fish bowl listening to their neighbours farting on their decks. 99% of the genuinely wealthy people I know or have met were totally decent people. It’s the wannabes who are the jerks. Nasty shitty backstabbers, truly insecure desperate people. But they’re far more “visible” from their hillside McMansions made of twigs and warped reject lumber, and in their leased Audis.

Wanna know how to be worth a million in 2023? Buy a house at Predator for $2m in 2022.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
I pretty much ride by myself now or maybe with 2-3 other guys every couple of weeks.
Strava is a joke IMO. The I have to get higher on the list mentality and riding around with a tablet strapped to my bar has zero appeal. So I ride solo most of the time. #f*ckstrava

As far as new MTB vs. BITD I’m actually somewhere in the middle. Some new organization can be good if not taken to far. Plus some of the old school douchebagery that went on BITD I’m actually glad it’s gone.
I don’t want to go back there. Somewhere in the middle is just fine for me. That said everyone has to be the right voice so the rope gets pulled to far both ways for me.

I didn’t join the local bike club last year and may pass again this year. We’ll see. The strength in numbers seems to actually get money and a few new trails built. However it’s a 50/50 toss up if said new trail is something I want to ride anyway. I can think of a hand full of new trails built legitimately in parks over the last few years. One good and the others meh.
Add to this the constant hassle of organized MTB giving you the sideways glance for going out and building rouge trails. Hell even clearing and maintaining existing trails without “logging your minutes” has become a no no activity. It’s not worth the hassle anymore, I’ve dropped out of the build game. Rouge or otherwise.
I’ll leave that part/hassle to the 20-30 somethings. I’m build retired.

Local trails going in on private land at a resort traditionally known for golf have actually been pretty good. However after… 4? Maybe 5? years an excellent climb trail designed for all has been bulldozed because rich people need more 2 million dollar homes with views. Real Estate is always king in the end. They say more emphasis will be put on future trail planning to coexist with future housing development so trails are not lost again. We’ll see. In the end if housing dollars look to good to be passed up I’m sure more trail will go. But hey, it’s private land. They can do whatever they want.

Apparently our local club has the highest number of members this year, but still no new trails or proposals. Actually losing trails..
They announced a trail day last week but volunteers had to be members for "insurance" purposes.
Until I see some actual forward movement I am not going to support the club. As one of the original founding members I am really disappointed in the lack of action. I know it's alot of work, been there done that.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.069550
Mobile Version of Website