The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2014 at 20:14 Quote
VPP links rotate opposite of each other. these will clearly rotate the same direction.

Pre VPP was just single pivots mostly iirc.

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 14:59 Quote
I decided to get a new front der. since there are several selling for under $40 on the buy/sell.

SRAM x0 (lightly used) vs. x9 (new) vs. Shimano XT (new)?

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 17:01 Quote
i don't know if its my bad luck or what

but should things be breaking after 6 months. its well used but still.

my cannondale xc bike has been thou 6+ inner tubes 3 tyres 2x rear deraileurs 1x 9 speed cassette and now the rear gear shifter is playing up and can't select any of the gears properly.

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 17:26 Quote
cannondalemale wrote:

my cannondale xc bike has been thou 6+ inner tubes 3 tyres 2x rear deraileurs 1x 8 speed cassette and now the rear gear shifter is playing up and can't select any of the gears properly.
Depending on the miles you put in, they probably shouldn't be.

Regarding the flats, you might have a burr on the inside of your rim that's piercing the tubes. I went through 6 or 7 tubes during an all-day ride for that reason (finally solved with a dollar bill between the burr and tube to get home). If they are pinch flats, you need to use a higher tire pressure.

Is your derailleur hanger bent? That could be the cause of the broken derailleurs, worn out cassette, and poor shifting performance. You'll need a mechanic to align it properly.

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 17:33 Quote
valtra wrote:
cannondalemale wrote:

my cannondale xc bike has been thou 6+ inner tubes 3 tyres 2x rear deraileurs 1x 8 speed cassette and now the rear gear shifter is playing up and can't select any of the gears properly.
Depending on the miles you put in, they probably shouldn't be.

Regarding the flats, you might have a burr on the inside of your rim that's piercing the tubes. I went through 6 or 7 tubes during an all-day ride for that reason (finally solved with a dollar bill between the burr and tube to get home). If they are pinch flats, you need to use a higher tire pressure.

Is your derailleur hanger bent? That could be the cause of the broken derailleurs, worn out cassette, and poor shifting performance. You'll need a mechanic to align it properly.

jus over 300 miles and counting.

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 17:44 Quote
You should definitely get more than that out of a cassette. A dirty drivetrain combined with poor shifting will cause the chain to skip across the cogs, making it wear out faster, and the chain as well.

Bring it in to get the shifting tuned up, and definitely get the shop to look into the derailleur hanger. That can be bent easily if you lay the bike drive-side-down or hit a root/rock/whatever. If you think the derailleur hanger is straight, you can probably teach yourself how to set up the shifting. It's easiest with a repair stand, but as long as you can get the rear wheel off the ground you'll be okay.

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 17:52 Quote
valtra wrote:
You should definitely get more than that out of a cassette. A dirty drivetrain combined with poor shifting will cause the chain to skip across the cogs, making it wear out faster, and the chain as well.

Bring it in to get the shifting tuned up, and definitely get the shop to look into the derailleur hanger. That can be bent easily if you lay the bike drive-side-down or hit a root/rock/whatever. If you think the derailleur hanger is straight, you can probably teach yourself how to set up the shifting. It's easiest with a repair stand, but as long as you can get the rear wheel off the ground you'll be okay.

I'm came off last week but i can't afford to keep bending things.

i was getting a bit of speed up going round a lakeside track and hit patch of deep sand front wheel digged in and i went OTBFacepalm but i just noticed that cable is coming away from the shifter also looks like its come unconnected from the rear deraileur but i re-connected but can select many of the gears still. Madder

i generally go all out when riding. the joys of K,O,M's and strava. Really Mad Really Mad Really Mad

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 18:08 Quote
That post-crash moment where you think "I hope I didn't break anything...on the bike" before checking yourself bones lol

The part of your shifter where the cable comes out is called the barrel adjuster. If the cable is showing there it means the barrel adjuster has unwound too far, or even snapped off. If it's the latter, you'll need a new shifter.

On the derailleur end, make sure you reconnect it in the right place.The cable should go underneath the washer, but check the Shimano techdoc to confirm that.

Posted: Apr 12, 2014 at 19:52 Quote
Just wondering if this will fit a MRP G2 that came stock on my Giant Faith 2010. Managed to mangle the top guide and need to replace it ASAP. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/mrp-upper-guide-sl-models/rp-prod61229

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 2:50 Quote
Anyone with riding time on schwalbes, the new bike came with 2.25 snakeskin evo nobby nics front and rear, just on a mooch through the local woods I noticed it a little skittery on the front when cornering on firmer ground, what can anyone recommend as a nice front to match the NN on the rear? Its a meta 666, so long travel trail bike really, so low rolling resistance is a must, but id like high cornering grip if possible.

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 2:51 Quote
I have a rocket ron up front, it's nice but it's too soft, great traction but not very durable if you ever leave the dirt.

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 2:55 Quote
Rocket rons are lower tread height than nobby nics I thought?

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 5:03 Quote
Magic Mary, Gravity star front, cheap ass version on the rear.

Posted: Apr 13, 2014 at 5:06 Quote
I was looking at the snakeskin magic Mary and hans dampf, wanting to keep it fast rolling now it's drying up, and ive got 2 nearly brand new nobby nics I might as well use on the rear, until next autumn at least I just want a grippier front

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027401
Mobile Version of Website