Building in rain or after?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Building in rain or after?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 14, 2009 at 16:13 Quote
Does anyone here build jumps/trail features in the rain? In SoCal the dirt is so dry and hard it makes it really difficult to build any other time. I figure, let it rain for a day or so, the dirt is soft by then, build, and more rain should pack it all down nicely. Or would it be best to build right after the rains? Thanks.

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 at 16:26 Quote
I love building in the rain or even after. First because you shouldnt ride in the rain...for your trails sake second is everything packs really nicely and also becuase the dirt clings together it is really easy to dig.

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
I always build after it rains. I dont build in the rain because of the risk of a sharp tool slipping out of my hands, of me falling down the mountain. But after it rains i am always able to get a tone of digging in.

Posted: Oct 16, 2009 at 8:19 Quote
Yea i just got finished building after the rain, its kinda muddy but if your building bigger or just building its the best it sticks and packs much better than anything else NO DIG NO RIDE!

Posted: Oct 28, 2009 at 16:36 Quote
I find myself getting the most done when it is raining but not pouring. If it is pouring you are always worrying about drainage. Otherwise you can understand where drainage is necessary and its still really soft. This is an especially good time for removing green stuff because the cells are soft and waterlogged and they are easiest to tear apart. Also the soil is super easy to move around which is a huge bonus. So in conclusion, DIG IN THE RAIN CUZ U CANT RIDE AND IT WORKS BEST!

Posted: Oct 28, 2009 at 16:58 Quote
I tried building in the rain once and it wasn't good. The mud made it hard to throw shovel fulls of dirt and move logs. It is beneficial for the trail but I think it's more efficient working after the rain is gone and a day has passed. I live in Socal too so I know the weather... winter is coming, we are all waiting for the rain... It is near.

Posted: Oct 28, 2009 at 17:11 Quote
ok when its moist i ges there the soil is a little different im gessing here in vt i dont go when its just slops of mud. but when its rainy its loamy here like bc. so its not like goo if its raining. and the moving of logs isnt really that bad IMO so thats just my POV.

Posted: Oct 28, 2009 at 18:09 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
ok when its moist i ges there the soil is a little different im gessing here in vt i dont go when its just slops of mud. but when its rainy its loamy here like bc. so its not like goo if its raining. and the moving of logs isnt really that bad IMO so thats just my POV.

Maybe the dirt is different. Here it takes a lot of water(or time) before the water gets through the first foot or two of dirt. This makes the top layer pretty slippery while the soil underneath is still kind of dry. You can see why moving logs(50+ lbs) would be difficult.

Posted: Oct 28, 2009 at 18:15 Quote
most of the time when it rains where I live it rains at night and is cloudy all day, so it rains, i go dig, and that night whatever I built gets watered. Its nice. But building right after the rain is better than in the rain, because sometimes if its raining when you leave it errodes what you built.

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 at 17:03 Quote
yeah, is way better to build after the rain because the dirt is easier to dig and shape and compacts better.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010699
Mobile Version of Website