DH/4X Quick question thread

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH/4X Quick question thread
Posted: Oct 26, 2011 at 20:42 Quote
i found a 2008 888 rcv (ah i can imagine everyone cringe) but it's going on a bike that will just ride downhill. minimal to no freeride. or is it still a bad idea? i don't really plan to do drops, just ride fast. could i get away with it or should i opt for something else?

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 at 23:07 Quote
cool. what are the problems with the 2009-08 ones again? i heard crowns snapped, i think one guy cracked his lowers. just wondering what to look out for.

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 at 23:08 Quote
just general poor quality control

Posted: Oct 26, 2011 at 23:09 Quote
I see. ok well thanks. i'll try to snag them and see how it goes. Salute

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 19:43 Quote
im a little iffy about taking off the decals on my bike, will it leave goop on the frame or take the paint off with it?
my bike s a demo 8 if it makes any difference

thanks

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 19:52 Quote
Demos are painted Confused

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 19:53 Quote
i have the 09 with the jeané weaved stickers
edit: jean

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 20:28 Quote
flippy720 wrote:
im a little iffy about taking off the decals on my bike, will it leave goop on the frame or take the paint off with it?

thanks

alcohol solution or windex will remove the sticker residues.

Posted: Oct 27, 2011 at 20:32 Quote
oceen246 wrote:
flippy720 wrote:

thanks

alcohol solution or windex will remove the sticker residues.
thanks!

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2011 at 20:42 Quote
This is probably a stupid question, but could I put 160mm springs from a Fox Van 36 into my 180mm Fox Van 36 and run it at 6 inches?

I'm looking at getting a 6" travel frame and don't really want to buy a new fork. Do you guys think it would work?

Posted: Nov 24, 2011 at 20:55 Quote
scotteh wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, but could I put 160mm springs from a Fox Van 36 into my 180mm Fox Van 36 and run it at 6 inches?

I'm looking at getting a 6" travel frame and don't really want to buy a new fork. Do you guys think it would work?

Nope won't work

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2011 at 21:11 Quote
So CR has given me some very helpful links and it's looking like it's definitely possible and relatively easy. I just need to get the correct length spring, either one from a 160mm van if it's the same ID/OD or by cutting the 180 spring I already have. Once that's done, just put a 20mm travel spacer in there and piece the whole thing back together.

Seems fairly easy, but I could just reeeeeally be missing something. Anyone have reasons as to why that won't work? I don't want to screw up an expensive fork haha.

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2011 at 23:37 Quote
Just a heads up that if you do cut the 180mm spring you will end up with a less than ideal spring constant.
The spring will load up at a different rate and make for a generally stiffer ride, but with only 20mm coming off then maybe it wouldn't be too drastic.
Personally I would get the 160mm spring as I could see a cut spring affecting your small bump sensitivity or just making your fork feel less plush without the ability to tune it out.

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 18:35 Quote
buy the 160mm spring like the guy above me said. Cutting the spring is hard and you have to file the end flat or it will damage whatever it touches - too much work and you're taking a risk.

one thing to note is the fork will still be using a damper set for 180mm, so you may not get the ideal dampening progression that was initially designed, but i don't think you will notice it even if it has an effect theoretically.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015697
Mobile Version of Website