Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 5:43 Quote
Yeee that’s exactly what I was thinking. I can hop ok but I can feel a bit stretched out. What’s the hta on your bikes?

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 6:50 Quote
AntN wrote:
Noob Question.... I swapped out Maxxis holyroller front and Crossmax rear for dual minion DHf and now I can't clear the jumps I normal hit with ease... Is this purely because of the minions 'slow rolling resistance' or not?

If you feel you must run such an aggressive tire on a DJ bike. May I suggest you instead try some Maxxis Crossmarks EXOs.
They’re super grippy and the center section is speedy enough.......especially compared to a full blown DH tire.

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 7:37 Quote
I want to build a DJ. Should I use bmx or mtb cranks? Also if you have a frame in good shape for sale please message me. thanks

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 13:57 Quote
wellsb wrote:
I want to build a DJ. Should I use bmx or mtb cranks? Also if you have a frame in good shape for sale please message me. thanks

Depends on the frame. My ns majesty is a chromo frame that only fits bmx cranks

As a general rule steel bike, bmx cranks. Aluminum bike mtb cranks.

Not supposed to sell bikes in the forum check out thebuysell

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 15:02 Quote
In my opinion MTB cranks look better on a DJ, but both are good. It your BB is threaded go with mtb cranks if not go with bmx ones

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 16:02 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
AntN wrote:
Noob Question.... I swapped out Maxxis holyroller front and Crossmax rear for dual minion DHf and now I can't clear the jumps I normal hit with ease... Is this purely because of the minions 'slow rolling resistance' or not?

If you feel you must run such an aggressive tire on a DJ bike. May I suggest you instead try some Maxxis Crossmarks EXOs.
They’re super grippy and the center section is speedy enough.......especially compared to a full blown DH tire.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm going to go back to Holy Rollers 2.4 front and back. The DHf experiment was a failure. lol

I simply thought 'rolling resistance' was abit of an 'ole wives tale'/ marketing BS. I was wrong. lol

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 16:05 Quote
Yeah definitely roll slow, but grip awesome of in the not hard pack dirt

Posted: Jun 6, 2018 at 18:50 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
wellsb wrote:

My NS Majesty is also cromo, but I have alu e13 cranks on it (mainly because the crank spindle (which you can't even see at all) is the exact same shade of gold as the frame/bars/wheels. Besides that, if you have a Majesty park, I see what you mean , it's Spanish BB only, even then though, if you really wanted to you could throw Shimano bearings in it and some frankespacers and put any shimano cranks in it.

I see it this way, to each their own, but the closest true comparison to DJ is BMX racing and/or mtb slopestyle. Both allllllways run aluminum cranks. So if you're riding street, absolutely do not run alu cranks, but on dirt, esoecially big dirt jumps ,, nothing besides alu or carbon makes a lot of sense to me. (And yes, I know bmx racers run profile cranks, but in the Olympic racing level they really shouldn't be.

Sorry for ranting that struck a bit of a chord with me. The only thing I truly don't understand is alu frames with cromo bmx cranks. That makes no sense at alllll.

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 3:43 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
sals wrote:
Evils new DJ frame looks pretty sweet
Always provide a link. Fixed!
But yes, looks pretty sick. Old,new school all in one.
I'd hit it.

https://www.evil-bikes.com/products/faction-2

It is super sick, I have ridden it in size M and loved the looks and geo. Low bottom bracket and decently long TT (want to try L size) but best is the paintjob one of the sickest I've seen, very subtle with a nice elegant shine.

Hector Saura shared a pic of his: https://www.instagram.com/p/BjsgzerhAmV/?taken-by=hectorsaura

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 3:47 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
Thepureface wrote:
wellsb wrote:

My NS Majesty is also cromo, but I have alu e13 cranks on it (mainly because the crank spindle (which you can't even see at all) is the exact same shade of gold as the frame/bars/wheels. Besides that, if you have a Majesty park, I see what you mean , it's Spanish BB only, even then though, if you really wanted to you could throw Shimano bearings in it and some frankespacers and put any shimano cranks in it.

I see it this way, to each their own, but the closest true comparison to DJ is BMX racing and/or mtb slopestyle. Both allllllways run aluminum cranks. So if you're riding street, absolutely do not run alu cranks, but on dirt, esoecially big dirt jumps ,, nothing besides alu or carbon makes a lot of sense to me. (And yes, I know bmx racers run profile cranks, but in the Olympic racing level they really shouldn't be.

Sorry for ranting that struck a bit of a chord with me. The only thing I truly don't understand is alu frames with cromo bmx cranks. That makes no sense at alllll.

Sorry to strike your chord... My majesty has a Spanish bb. Just assumed they all did

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 9:46 Quote
Likely yes. Although that Holyroller is heavy as hell too... can't be helping.
AntN wrote:

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 17:23 Quote
Metro-Gnome wrote:
Thepureface wrote:
wellsb wrote:

I run Profiles on my Zircus, hope it doest trigger you too much

(Aluminum with Euro BB, works great, looks great)

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 6:44 Quote
Hey, to each their own. I really only responded in the first place bc I have alu cranks in my majesty. I was just being all the defensive, pointing out that alu in a cromo DJ only bike is a little more practical than profiles in a zircus.

I'll take that back though, considering the fact that typically if you have a 8 or 9 tooth single speed rear driver, you probably have to run bmx cranks to have a half decent chainline, and sprocket size, regardless of frame material. I should've though of that, but I always convert normal free hubs and the lowest cog possible is generally 12t. Slightly too big for 32t rings imo.

Posted: Jun 8, 2018 at 16:34 Quote
Its all good, I was really just messing with ya anyway, doesn't matter to me.. Ive just been running profile since the 80s (still have my first set!)

FWIW I run 28/12 on my DJ and 25/12 on my street 26..

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 at 13:31 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
AntN wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:

For some reason I was thinking this was the DH thread, Minions aren't going to be the best DJ tires, but the rear at 50 and the front at 30 shouldn't give you too much grief.
I'll hit them up again... Maybe not enough WeetBix???? lol

30 psi is way too low. Even 50 is a bit low for my liking.
Minions are a terrible dirt jump bike tire. They are great on enduro/dh bikes.

It depends on the size of the tire and preference. I run 25psi on DJ, but I also run a 2.8" wide tire. Literally cannot fold it over.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.038315
Mobile Version of Website