What's the deal?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What's the deal?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 8:38 Quote
So, I have a new frame. It's a full suspension 6 inch travel frame and it's very strong.
I do downhill mostly but also like dirt jump and a bit of free ride and I occasionally ride it on road. I'm entering a few downhill races this year but I'm a bit stuck at what forks to get?

>Should I go for dual crown forks?
>Or should I go for single crown long travel forks?

I'm a bit stuck because it's a downhill bike but I would like to be able to do bar spins on this bike rather than having to get my jump bike, so what should I get?

Thanks, Milo.

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 8:46 Quote
I would think a single crown would be better suited to everything you like besides DH racing. Also, because it's a six inch travel frame, most dual crowns, which usually come in at about 8 inches, might be a little more travel than you'd like up front. A long travel single crown like the Rock Shox Domain, Marz 55 or Fox 36 might be a good match.

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 8:48 Quote
beaupre716 wrote:
I would think a single crown would be better suited to everything you like besides DH racing. Also, because it's a six inch travel frame, most dual crowns, which usually come in at about 8 inches, might be a little more travel than you'd like up front. A long travel single crown like the Rock Shox Domain, Marz 55 or Fox 36 might be a good match.
Ok thanks, and they'd still be ok for downhill?

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 14:15 Quote
MiloXC3 wrote:
beaupre716 wrote:
Ok thanks, and they'd still be ok for downhill?

I raced a DH race last year at Northstar on my Big Hit, which has a Domain 318 Coil on it, and I had a ball. I didn't set the world on fire--I got fourth out of 12 racers in the Sport class--but it was my first DH race, and I thought the bike handled everything reasonably well. Northstar is pretty rough terrain too.

You'll give up a little stability and stiffness with a single crown, but you can easily have fun on pretty much any terrain with a good six or seven-inch fork, and it sounds like one of those would be a good match to your frame.

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 14:21 Quote
maybe go with a marz 66 ata? you can ride with 170mm and race with 180mm

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 at 14:24 Quote
you'll be good with a long travel single crown fork. Get a big dual crown when you bump up to a 8in travel frame

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 8:05 Quote
lukaszkrolak wrote:
you'll be good with a long travel single crown fork. Get a big dual crown when you bump up to a 8in travel frame
Ok thanks. I'll get a pair of 6/7 inch forks then. Or should I step up to 8 inch?

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 9:34 Quote
MiloXC3 wrote:
lukaszkrolak wrote:
Ok thanks. I'll get a pair of 6/7 inch forks then. Or should I step up to 8 inch?

I'd say you'll only need 8 inches if you want to focus on DH. If you want to do lots of different things, six or seven will usually do the trick.

Eight-inch travel bikes with dual-crown forks are great, but they're often a little heavy for dirt jumping and some types of freeriding. Having more than one bike is the best solution, but there are still plenty of versatile bikes out there that let you do a little of everything.

What frame do you have now?

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 9:43 Quote
beaupre716 wrote:

I'd say you'll only need 8 inches if you want to focus on DH. If you want to do lots of different things, six or seven will usually do the trick.

Eight-inch travel bikes with dual-crown forks are great, but they're often a little heavy for dirt jumping and some types of freeriding. Having more than one bike is the best solution, but there are still plenty of versatile bikes out there that let you do a little of everything.

Ok thanks I think I'll go for 8 inch.

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 9:54 Quote
Get something like marzo 888 ata. amazing forks and they go from 160-200mm

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 10:20 Quote
JamesDavid wrote:
Get something like marzo 888 ata. amazing forks and they go from 160-200mm
I was thinking of them. Razz

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 10:42 Quote
What frame are you running? The geometry of the frame will be setup around a specific length fork. I wouldn't go over 7" on a 6" travel frame as a general rule but we can't really help without knowing the build...

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 11:18 Quote
MiloXC3 wrote:
beaupre716 wrote:

Ok thanks I think I'll go for 8 inch.

You talking about a new frame, right? Because I wouldn't go for an 8-inch fork on the six-inch frame. Mix-matching your travel can do weird things to your bike's geometry and possibly put stresses on the frame that it wasn't intended to handle.

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 11:41 Quote
please let us know what frame you have?

for a 6" rear travel frame, I would run a good quality 6" (160mm) front fork to maintain the geometry and suspension balance

more info please...

Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 11:56 Quote
Saracen d-toxx isn't really worth upgrading i would save and buy a full bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.067514
Mobile Version of Website