PIKES...

Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 13:07 Quote
That is true, the Pike seals blow (pun VERY intended). I'm on my second set, this rebuild lasted me all of like 3 months. although you can ride a blown Pike for months, as I did.

FL
Posted: Dec 22, 2008 at 20:34 Quote
and for the record all of those pikes are pre 2006 i believe and they were known to break at the arch back then that problem has been solved, they can still break at the arch (like any other fork can) but they are not as prone to it.

Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 0:54 Quote
lunker8 wrote:
and for the record all of those pikes are pre 2006 i believe and they were known to break at the arch back then that problem has been solved, they can still break at the arch (like any other fork can) but they are not as prone to it.

Ah, thats's a relief. How stiff can the coil pike go just with the compression adjust?

and what spring does it come with stock?

FL
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 at 5:22 Quote
The pike compression adjust doesn't do much in terms of compression adjustment, infact your better off just thinking of it as a giant lockout knob, you tune the floodgate knob to how stiff you want the lockout to be, and then you turn the big blue "compression" knob to lock it out. This doesn't make the fork completely locked out though it will not move over small bumps but if you do a big jump or take a big hit it will blow through most of the travel as it would normally. It does help if you set it up properly. And the pike comes with a medium spring and that was way to soft for me (I weigh 160) so i got the x-firm and it's still pretty soft but overall it's a sweet fork.

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 3:36 Quote
I'm thinking of buying some pike 426 Air U-turns. Are they any good? i would have preferred a coil version but I came across a nice deal on the air's.

Opinions???

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 3:40 Quote
citizensixsixsix wrote:
I'm thinking of buying some pike 426 Air U-turns. Are they any good? i would have preferred a coil version but I came across a nice deal on the air's.

Opinions???

Air U-turns are awesome.

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 3:40 Quote
dubhex wrote:
That is true, the Pike seals blow (pun VERY intended). I'm on my second set, this rebuild lasted me all of like 3 months. although you can ride a blown Pike for months, as I did.

If the seals "blow" will the fork make a hissing noise on compression?

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 3:43 Quote
cowieuk wrote:
citizensixsixsix wrote:

Opinions???

Air U-turns are awesome.

haha kewl.
lets see then

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 3:52 Quote
I just bought a brand new 426 Pike off ebay for $550AUD for my P2. Stoked.

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 4:00 Quote
goochie-mtb-4life wrote:

yeah man I just bought a 426 air for my ruckus.
jittery like a little boy

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 4:02 Quote
citizensixsixsix wrote:
goochie-mtb-4life wrote:

I can't wait to get em', it will lighten my front end so much, freakin DJ 2's haha.

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 4:09 Quote
goochie-mtb-4life wrote:
citizensixsixsix wrote:
goochie-mtb-4life wrote:

I can't wait to get em', it will lighten my front end so much, freakin DJ 2's haha.

I got myself a blue hope pro 2 on a ex729 aswell.
At the moment i've got stance's, they like stop working and are as flexible as a stripper

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 4:24 Quote
Got my Pikes with my Pitch Pro Cool But the version is a 351 which was made only for Specialized.... still feels great for me Big Grin Only downside is that it seems to lock up in the cold a bit to easily.

Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 4:56 Quote
i got my pike 454 w/maxle lite for £335 proving its not what you know its who you know back in october and no blowing seals
and who ever says the alu steerer and hollow crown isnt strong enough is rubbish
iv had loads of cases and im sure they wont like foot jams but mine have been fine
and they weigh 4.9lbs
one thing that us abit crap is the standard spring i changed mine to the firm one and feels loads better

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2009 at 5:42 Quote
dobby wrote:
Got my Pikes with my Pitch Pro Cool But the version is a 351 which was made only for Specialized.... still feels great for me Big Grin Only downside is that it seems to lock up in the cold a bit to easily.

i'm riding those same pikes on my STP... i work at a shop that deals specialized, and a customer didn't want the pike for some reason, so i picked it up at a wicked bargain... has all the features i wanted without the price tag

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.040069
Mobile Version of Website