2010 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2010 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 at 9:11 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
For 5.5k i would hope that bike would cover every biking need i could ever dream of. Sort of like buying a Ferrari,

for 5.5K I would expect a free BJ at the least.....

I own 4 bikes and none of these have cost me 5.5K

my Devinci is tricked out to f*ck and cost me 4.2K with a full titanium bolt kit, and weighs sub 31lb which is great for a 6 x 6 all-mountain bike with Fox 36 fork, DHX 5 air shock and 2.3" big volume tires..no XC sh*t!!!

Free Bj would be good lol, completely agree. For a frame which is made in china, i personaly dont think its worth it. As you say you can totally trick out a bike for less than that e.g. yours. Just wondering would you not be able to craft the same frame in the U.S from carbon? Or are they missing the production tools? Would make me feel better to know its been crafted in the U.S rather than China, not that there's anything wrong with chinease production, if it was hand made in the U.S i would hope more time and attention would be paid to each frame.

Posted: Mar 15, 2010 at 9:23 Quote
prudent wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:
For 5.5k i would hope that bike would cover every biking need i could ever dream of. Sort of like buying a Ferrari,

my Devinci is tricked out to f*ck and cost me 4.2K with a full titanium bolt kit, and weighs sub 31lb which is great for a 6 x 6 all-mountain bike with Fox 36 fork, DHX 5 air shock and 2.3" big volume tires..no XC sh*t!!!

Free Bj would be good lol, completely agree. For a frame which is made in china, i personaly dont think its worth it. As you say you can totally trick out a bike for less than that e.g. yours. Just wondering would you not be able to craft the same frame in the U.S from carbon? Or are they missing the production tools? Would make me feel better to know its been crafted in the U.S rather than China, not that there's anything wrong with chinease production, if it was hand made in the U.S i would hope more time and attention would be paid to each frame.

most carbon bikes are made in china only a couple of boutique road companies have their carbon frames made in house /the us/europe. carbon is so expensive and alabour intensive to make its easier and safer and crucially cheaper to get a company that has been using it for years to make your frame for you to your specs. also the s works frames are fairly made in fairly low numbers anyway and are pretty well made so i wouldnt wory about them being lower quality or rushed just becasue they are made in the far east rather than the us

Posted: Mar 15, 2010 at 9:25 Quote
Ahh right cool mate, thanks for the clarification tup

Posted: Mar 15, 2010 at 10:30 Quote
to be fair to Specialized, when you look at the sheer technology in that S-Works carbon frameset, its damn impressive and not something a "boutique" manufacturer could offer...definitely not when made "domestically" - the tech. is not available in the West

I'd agree carbon fibre is expensive because its very labour intensive and the raw materials costs are high - and these frames are not produced in the 1000s - the UK only got 20 of these BIKES for the entire 2010 season!!

the Chinese are leading the World in carbon fibre production, amongst many other fields of manufacturing

a recent case - a team of Chinese welders were flown over to the UK to undertake highly skilled re-welding on a new bridge that had cracked, as we did not have the skills in the UK to do this work Frown

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2010 at 22:37 Quote
I went to a spesh demo day and took one of these baby's out for the day, and I can assure you, this bike is absolutely amazing. Just so responsive and fast. The brain system works great, but I still think I'd rather have a regular shock w/ lockout and an extra grand in my pocket. The bike corners on rails, can take to the air with the twitch of a toe, and pedals as if it has a rocket engine. I'm blown away by this bike. I think I may be saving up to buy one of the lower end models.

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 at 2:35 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
its actually a SICK bike

yes, the frame is made in China, but that is the only place to make a full carbon frameset at high quality....

If they managed to get a Chinese shop to use the right resin that Spec engineers called out on the job, maybe, but not one Chinese laminator uses a good quality resin in their work when the expat has left on the plane; I researched it for several months two years ago, actually went there and tested product for a r/c glider manufacturing company. As soon as the expats went home the quality went south for good. I've been involved in manufacturing in a different industry in China for a decade and have come to the conclusion that if you really need to trust your nutsack on the quality of their work be prepared to stand over their shoulder the entire time.

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 at 2:47 Quote
[Quote
the Chinese are leading the World in carbon fibre production, amongst many other fields of manufacturing

Every carbon glider I have bought that was manufactured in China weighed at least twenty percent more then comparable eastern European state of the art gliders and all but one exploded on launch within a month; crap resin, crap layup, possibly crap carbon== they DO NOT lead the world in carbon fiber production.

a recent case - a team of Chinese welders were flown over to the UK to undertake highly skilled re-welding on a new bridge that had cracked, as we did not have the skills in the UK to do this work Frown [/Quote]

Are you serious? can you prove this? If true it is exactly the opposite of my experiences with Chinese workers. I don't know any details about Spec's manufacturing over there but would suggest that they have US expats on the ground looking after every aspect of quality when a batch goes through.

Posted: Nov 4, 2010 at 14:02 Quote
The shop im at has one of the S-Works Stumpys in, its quite an unassuming looking thing. My bosses S-Works Enduro is really special looking though, with Evo link and RC2 and hammershmit chainset..seriously pimp. Blank Stare

photo
sorry pics not better.

Posted: Feb 14, 2013 at 19:22 Quote
[Quote="prudent"]
hampsteadbandit wrote:

Free Bj would be good lol, completely agree. For a frame which is made in china, i personaly dont think its worth it. As you say you can totally trick out a bike for less than that e.g. yours. Just wondering would you not be able to craft the same frame in the U.S from carbon? Or are they missing the production tools? Would make me feel better to know its been crafted in the U.S rather than China, not that there's anything wrong with chinease production, if it was hand made in the U.S i would hope more time and attention would be paid to each frame.[/Qu
My 2010 S-works carbon fsr is all around best bike I have ever owned been mtb since 1984
SOB is like a Lexus on 2 wheels
Have owned 12 mtbs
Currently a 27 lb 2011 Nomad C and a 2013 Intense Hard Eddie 20.14 lbs
Stumpy best ride hands down
Btw it is XTR shift derailleurs cassette chain w Sworks Carbon crank set and Formula R1 brakes
Specialized Brain is awesome
Yes pricey but worth it

Posted: Feb 15, 2013 at 9:31 Quote
Dis dude bored. Nice grave dig!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013852
Mobile Version of Website