Just started dirt jumping, tips anyone?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Just started dirt jumping, tips anyone?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 at 7:21 Quote
I have just started dirt jumping so I'm a complete noob! Any advice to get me going?

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 9:59 Quote
hey! what's up, i'm new too =]
someone on here told me not to worry if you don't have balls when you first start out, they come with practice and experience,
so no worries if something kinda trips you out the first time, there's nothin wrong with starting small
put it this way, imagine you're a seven year old standing 4"3, you don't really want to start riding a bike that's twice your height
do you know what i mean?
anyway, it totally made sense when he told me that so i figured i'd share =]
happy riding =]

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 10:15 Quote
wear a helmet and protective gear, makes it a bit safer, practice and practice maybe even build your own track that way you can start small and add to them making them bigger and bigger, try to find frieds who are into jumping as well makes it more fun

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 10:36 Quote
Always try and ride with someone better than you, you learn from watching them and learn which line to ride ect. and at the end of the day its more fun to ride with buddies than on your own.

FL
Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 10:56 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Always try and ride with someone better than you, you learn from watching them and learn which line to ride ect. and at the end of the day its more fun to ride with buddies than on your own.
that can be pretty hard to do sometimes, unless you are taking up the sport becasue you have mates who already do it.
BMX tracks are good place to start as all of the jumps are rollable and you will be able to get a feel for how your bike handles in the air. it also helps that they are usually full of pretty decent riders (BMX and MTB) who you cna watch and ask for tips from most will be happy enough to help.

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 at 14:40 Quote
just try small stuff. rollers to learn to pump, and tables so jump so it doesnt matter if you come up short Smile i brained myself really bad when i started but its just keeping that confidence to pick yourself, dust yourself off and say right then gap...COME HERE !!!!!! Smile

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 3:12 Quote
meganplease wrote:
hey! what's up, i'm new too =]
someone on here told me not to worry if you don't have balls when you first start out, they come with practice and experience,
so no worries if something kinda trips you out the first time, there's nothin wrong with starting small
put it this way, imagine you're a seven year old standing 4"3, you don't really want to start riding a bike that's twice your height
do you know what i mean?
anyway, it totally made sense when he told me that so i figured i'd share =]
happy riding =]
well said

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 12:50 Quote
Yeah same im newto bikes but i know most of the parts, just one thing i really want to know which is where does the headset go (where on the bike E.g inbetween .....) cheers

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 12:53 Quote
Dmrlover1 wrote:
Yeah same im newto bikes but i know most of the parts, just one thing i really want to know which is where does the headset go (where on the bike E.g inbetween .....) cheers
the headset is the part of the bike that is pressed into the headtube. (the part the fork goes through) it's just the barrings that the fork uses to turn. It is often mistaken for the stem which is what attaches the bars to the fork. sorry for the bad explanation

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 13:00 Quote
Okay cheers, and that was a good explantion Smile but whyd people get them in different collurs when you cant see em?
and im going to sound really dumb now but howd you reply to me (it said what i said then line and then what u said because all i see is quote and report post

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 13:03 Quote
Dmrlover1 wrote:
Okay cheers, and that was a good explantion Smile but whyd people get them in different collurs when you cant see em?
and im going to sound really dumb now but howd you reply to me (it said what i said then line and then what u said because all i see is quote and report post
you can see them Smile Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.bendingtherules.co.uk/bikes/BobRohloff/front.jpgsee thie part that says "KING" on it? that's the headset

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
Dmrlover1 wrote:
you can see them Smile Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.bendingtherules.co.uk/bikes/BobRohloff/front.jpgsee thie part that says "KING" on it? that's the headset
Oh okay cheers mate, i thought they were much smaller than that HAHA!! Thanks so much guys Big Grin

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 15:52 Quote
Best advice I can give is wear a helmet, if you fall then get up and try again, and PRACTICE. I've been riding years but I've progressed slowly until recently because I enjoyed sitting around chilling down at the trails far too much

Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 19:06 Quote
Dmrlover1 wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:
Dmrlover1 wrote:
Oh okay cheers mate, i thought they were much smaller than that HAHA!! Thanks so much guys Big Grin

If your bike is set up like this DO NOT JUMP IT.

Seroiusly, if you can get to a track that is the best place to learn to ride. Ususlly FAST and scary. You rareley if ever get that much speed at DJs. Really the best thing is to build your own jump and learn on that. You can rip it down and rebuild it as many times as you want, and since you built it it doesn't matter. Don't mess with jumps you didn't build.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021734
Mobile Version of Website