24'' 26'' which one for street and park ?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
24'' 26'' which one for street and park ?
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 31, 2010 at 6:24 Quote
For pure street and park riding 26" wheels are rubbish, 24" is better but 20" is what's best for the job.

The people on this thread who can't see that a 24" is more practical or 'better on paper' than a 26"wheel for park or street are complete morons. Here's what the 'piece of paper' says:

A 24" wheel is; Stronger, lighter (less rotational weight also), accelerates faster/pumps easier, fits transitions better, spins faster, shortens your wheel base,means you can run a more compact frame, more foot clearance for barspins etc withought a longer tt or slack headangle, gives you a higher bb relative to your axles/better clearance (possibly allowing pegs) and gives your bike a lower centre of gravity.

A set of 24" wheels would be a noticeable upgrade to you if you're riding park/street, although i'd only recommend doing so if you have a 24" frame, something like a capital would be awesome. If not go for a BMX if you're comfortable on them as they're the best thing for that style of riding.

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 at 7:37 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
For pure street and park riding 26" wheels are rubbish, 24" is better but 20" is what's best for the job.

The people on this thread who can't see that a 24" is more practical or 'better on paper' than a 26"wheel for park or street are complete morons. Here's what the 'piece of paper' says:

A 24" wheel is; Stronger, lighter (less rotational weight also), accelerates faster/pumps easier, fits transitions better, spins faster, shortens your wheel base,means you can run a more compact frame, more foot clearance for barspins etc withought a longer tt or slack headangle, gives you a higher bb relative to your axles/better clearance (possibly allowing pegs) and gives your bike a lower centre of gravity.

A set of 24" wheels would be a noticeable upgrade to you if you're riding park/street, although i'd only recommend doing so if you have a 24" frame, something like a capital would be awesome. If not go for a BMX if you're comfortable on them as they're the best thing for that style of riding.

Yea, what he said

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 at 15:14 Quote
leicestersteve wrote:
ricar wrote:
How do you figure? Give me one advantage that 26" wheels have over 24s on the street or in a park.

Give me one advantage that 24" wheels have over 20s on the street or in a park.

Do you even ride bikes?

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 at 21:58 Quote
joshtasker wrote:
24 is homosexuall u might as well get a bmx

haha i agree

Posted: Apr 1, 2010 at 17:06 Quote
i love how much shit i see on here about 24 being the best and 26 being shit.. tbh its all about frame geometry and setup. my 26 ns traff spins just as easy if not better than my 24 sub and dmr transition 24 did. just make sure you get something with a good geometry and doesnt weigh a tonne and you should be fine

Posted: Apr 1, 2010 at 17:47 Quote
26s don't suck. They are just not as good. 20s sure are best, 24s next in line. The thing is IMO you can get all the things you get with 26s in a 24. People ride larger wheels because 20s are too twitchy. Thats also why they are the best. As far as tricks go anyhow. They are also the strongest. With the larger wheels you can get a cruiser with a 73 head angle and the added gyroscopic affect of the 24s. This will slow down the bike a bit and make it flow nicer but keep 90% of what you get from a BMX. Add to that leg room where it's needed, above the top tube with a 4/5" bar. 24" MTB type frames offer head angles from 72.5 through 69. So if you want slacker then there you go. Beyond that there is little point. 26s just give up too much. Just my opinion. I know about frame geometry, I know about setups. A 26" bike will not spin better than a simmilar 24. You still may prefer 26s and thats up to you. I still have yet to hear one advantage of 26s over 24s. So IMO unless you are over 35, you should not be on 26s.

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2010 at 19:00 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:

Of course it's more practical. That doesn't mean you have to like it.

Posted: Apr 3, 2010 at 8:52 Quote
R-trailking-S wrote:
gutkrencher wrote:

Of course it's more practical. That doesn't mean you have to like it.

of course you don't have to like it, personal preference counts. But in regard to this thread practicality is important. Having a more capable bike is going to be more like-able than one that isn't.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014054
Mobile Version of Website