Single pivot vs. Dual pivot

PB Forum :: Downhill
Single pivot vs. Dual pivot
Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 2:18 Quote
single pivot is more likely to seize up

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 10:33 Quote
what do you mean? under braking or just seize up all together?

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 11:19 Quote
wow, i read the whole thread and i have a headache now, as i have leant so muchEek

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 11:31 Quote
some specialized are single pivot stil even with the four bar linkage because the axle is on the chainstay but some have the axle mounted on the upper chainstay so it will move position of the wheel as it goes through travel its sort of like vpp mounted on the back of the bike

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 11:33 Quote
the freedrive system is the best. absolutely no pedal bob and corners well
photo

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 11:34 Quote
if you using a non single pivot system it is way better because the bike manufacture can set the wheel path so it can go in towars the bike then up or up then intowards the bike with a single pivot it just makes an arc

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 11:34 Quote
you can call it waht you want but theres more than ONE pivot on a KONA.. therefore it cannot be Single Pivot...

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 11:36 Quote
That-Norco-Dude wrote:
you can call it waht you want but theres more than ONE pivot on a KONA.. therefore it cannot be Single Pivot...
it is a single pivot its just that all those linkages press of the shock when the wheel of the bike goes in it changes the the leverage of the linkages so less force is being put on a shock so it was a progressive feel but nowdays u can have a pure single pivot sort of like a dirtbike style and have it feel the same with a well tuned shock

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 12:21 Quote
Am i right by thinking that Specialized have patented the four bar linkage systems in the us?

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 12:51 Quote
tommymay wrote:
Am i right by thinking that Specialized have patented the four bar linkage systems in the us?
yes because norco has been using there design for years but has not copyed the design, aka copyrighting. i think there might be a few other companys that have been using the 4 bar linkage design but im not sure.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 13:02 Quote
ride-your-bike wrote:
the freedrive system is the best. absolutely no pedal bob and corners well
photo

i second THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 13:11 Quote
ill admit i havent read all the pages of this thread, but dual pivot is not really a used term and there seems to be some other confusion. single pivot is any suspension design where the swingarm pivots around one central point in a circular motion, this can be achieved by a single swing arm attached directly to a shock (like a bullit) or by a system of levers and linkages, they are all esentually single pivots. contrary to the single pivot is the virtual pivot which allows the rear assembly to move independently of one specific point, usually through a multitude of linkages or as of late with yeti, a slider. if designed properly, and ridden by a person who is versed in riding seated with pedaling cadence, the single pivot is very affective and not obsolete in any way. using a floating caliper mount, a single pivot is less apt to have something go wrong than a virtual pivot. the virtual pivots are all great as well but tend to have to be designed specifically around the task at hand, some can be very complicated and not very reliable. either way you go, if set up properly they are all competitive with each other

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 13:17 Quote
pedalpusher01 wrote:
tommymay wrote:
yes because norco has been using there design for years but has not copyed the design, aka copyrighting. i think there might be a few other companys that have been using the 4 bar linkage design but im not sure.

ye, i think there are but they're European companies such as Mondraker and the 'copy right/patent' only covers US products.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 13:36 Quote
That-Norco-Dude wrote:

OH MY GOD. Read the thread. That isnt what defines a single pivot. You can have 100 leverage pivot points on a frame if you wanted, and still make it a single pivot.

Posted: Jul 25, 2008 at 13:38 Quote
yeaaaa hummers here, what are your thoughts on dual pivot hummer? Wink

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.048407
Mobile Version of Website