Collarbone armor?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Collarbone armor?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 8, 2010 at 18:13 Quote
someone here knows if exist something that can protect my collarbone??? leatt??? body armor something???

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 at 20:24 Quote
I believe Leatt braces can break your collarbone... but better that than your neck.

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 at 23:38 Quote
se lo dije sobon... i have told this guy to buy a leatt and he doesnt want to because it restricts your neck movement, and recently crashed on a 12 meter gap, broke is collarbone and still doesnt want to buy a leatt... crazy

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 at 23:53 Quote
estebangomez00 wrote:
se lo dije sobon... i have told this guy to buy a leatt and he doesnt want to because it restricts your neck movement, and recently crashed on a 12 meter gap, broke is collarbone and still doesnt want to buy a leatt... crazy
properly fitted, the don't restrict it that much... he is a dumbass.

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 at 23:56 Quote
Most collar bone injuries (or at least mine) do not result from a direct impact to the bone, but rather from the force transferred from your extended arm hitting the ground to your shoulder which can snap the very flexible clavicle bone, your body's natural reflex is to put your arms out to save your head and core from injury, and for me at least the reaction is fairly unavoidable, especially when being launched downhill. That said, there isn't really a piece of armor you can buy that will protect you from this type of injury.

Really buying a good pair of tires (Maxxis 3C for DH), and not riding beyond your ability is the best protection you can get.

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 at 5:04 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:
Really buying a good pair of tires (Maxxis 3C for DH), and not riding beyond your ability is the best protection you can get.

Or just not ride at all. That way you're garunteed not to crash.

FL
Posted: Apr 9, 2010 at 5:18 Quote
bighitter wrote:
skatejunkie wrote:

Or just not ride at all. That way you're garunteed not to crash.
i think he means don't try anything f*cking ridiculous if you don't want to get injured and that the best way to minimise injuries such as broken collar bones and wrists is to only ride what you know your capable of and if you think you arn't to skip that section or walk it first etc.

but anyway collar bones are pretty difficult to protect but bulking up your chest and shoulder muscles is going to help as there wil be more of you to take the blow and you will recover far faster from the injury.

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 at 5:29 Quote
almightybenners wrote:
i think he means don't try anything f*cking ridiculous if you don't want to get injured and that the best way to minimise injuries such as broken collar bones and wrists is to only ride what you know your capable of and if you think you arn't to skip that section or walk it first etc.

I know, I just found it mildly amusing as it's the first time I've heard of tyres being used as protective gear!

I agree with you however collar bones are one of those things that go from falling akwardly rather than from trying stupid stuff (although trying previously mentioned silly stunts will increase your chances of breaking yourself). Most people I know (myself included) who have done in a collar bone have done it doing something randomly silly rather than stupid.

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 at 9:21 Quote
bighitter wrote:
almightybenners wrote:

I know, I just found it mildly amusing as it's the first time I've heard of tyres being used as protective gear!

I agree with you however collar bones are one of those things that go from falling akwardly rather than from trying stupid stuff (although trying previously mentioned silly stunts will increase your chances of breaking yourself). Most people I know (myself included) who have done in a collar bone have done it doing something randomly silly rather than stupid.

I would agree with him on the tires though...more grip = more control = less crash

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 at 9:50 Quote
More grip = corner faster = crash harder

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 at 9:59 Quote
leatt brace = safetly in case of next crash!
no leatt brace = bad crash and no more biking

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 at 10:07 Quote
bighitter wrote:
More grip = corner faster = crash harder

this is where the riding within your limits comes in, if you are riding at a speed you can manage, and you have good traction, there is no reason you should be crashing.

If you are really dedicated to pushing yourself and becoming a faster rider, crashing and getting injured is just a fact of life, it will happen. Personally the more armor and padding I wear, the more uncomfortable I am on my bike, and I tend to ride worse and crash more, although with less consequences.

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 at 10:21 Quote
I told him to change the body armour for the leatt brace, or buy a very simple and small body armour!

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 at 11:49 Quote
Nothing will specifically protect the collar bone. I do agree with the comment above about strengthening your shoulders chest and arms to protect against collar bone issues. And to the guy that keeps pressing the Leatt Brace, if your homie doesn't want one, maybe he should look into the 661 Droid:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/661-droid-preview-2009.html

Cool

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 at 12:15 Quote
something to understand about the collar bone?

its a "safety valve" which often prevents more serious damage to your shoulder or neck in a big crash

its a painful bone to break, and takes time to heal right, but better than ruining your shoulder (which is a complex joint) or your neck, which can have serious long term consequences

a good tip to avoid breaking your collar bone is to NOT stick your hand out when you crash, especially over the bars - this is probably the most common cause of this injury in mountain biking

if you are wearing body armour, try to pull your arms to your torso, roll and let the armour take the force

you may get winded, bruised or some abrasions, but let the armour take the blow instead of the impact travelling up your arm and snapping your collarbone like a twig!

I agree that improving your physical conditioning with exercise, especially the upper body, is a great help as bigger, more toned muscles provide additional strength and "armour" in a crash

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008420
Mobile Version of Website