Posted: Apr 13, 2010 at 10:22 Quote
I want to get a slopestyle bike, for both freeride and Dirt Jumps
Should I get a:

Transition BottleRocket

Transition Double

Cove Hooker.

Thanks in advance

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 8:27 Quote
Well if you are doing dirt jumps I would suggest not the Bottlerocket. I love the look of the bottlerocket but the single piviot design and the pure weight of the bottlerocket make it not very ideal for Dirtjump. If you want transition, the Double is a much better choice although it is a little light for freeride, depending what you are riding.

Some other frames you should consider:
-Corsair Konig
-Banshee Rampant
-Kona Bass (MAYBE)

If you want something anchored a little more towards FR instead of DJ, the SX trail is also really light but you can ride downhill on it too.

Any more questions just ask,
-Chris

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 8:45 Quote
if its short travel you want then there is also the dobermann le pink or the new black market.

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 9:13 Quote
does anyone know how the black market killswitch handles freeride?

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 9:23 Quote
shovelmonkey wrote:
if its short travel you want then there is also the dobermann le pink or the new black market.

Yes, they look good but I haven't heard much on their actual performance.

otisl wrote:

Well it can take freeride, but only the light stuff. If you beefed up the suspension it would be fine for moderate freeride but stock it is for light/moderate freeride only.

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 9:43 Quote
they are aimed more towards dj/street. was just a suggestion Smile

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 9:51 Quote
shovelmonkey wrote:
they are aimed more towards dj/street. was just a suggestion Smile

Oh I know lol, I hope I didnt come acrosse a*sholeish Wink

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 9:56 Quote
nah man no worries Smile just trying to think of bikes cos i was looking for a transition double but cant get my hands on one in the uk Frown

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 9:59 Quote
Theres probably some guys in the BuySell that wouldnt mind shipping overseasSalute

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 10:04 Quote
theres none that iv seen. try again soon Smile . and the only importer for transition bikes to the uk was so vague and useless i came off the phone more confused Smile

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 10:12 Quote
shovelmonkey wrote:
theres none that iv seen. try again soon Smile . and the only importer for transition bikes to the uk was so vague and useless i came off the phone more confused Smile

Well, good luck. I'll let you know if I see anything go up for sale

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 10:15 Quote
cheers mate Smile fingers (and everything else) crossed Smile

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 13:15 Quote

a problem for many of the short travel frames on the market is that they are geared towards "slopestyle" and "dirt jumping" where you are *really* talking about dirt jumps and timber stunts like wallrides and 1/4 pipes, with smooth landings and run-outs

they use simple, rocker-activated single pivot suspension systems run with high pressure in the rear air shock to make the bike feel firm until a bad landing is made and then there is "give" in the system

photo

the Banshee Rampant is well worth looking into because, in contrast to frames / bikes like the Killswitch, Double, Bass / Kowan, Battery, etc.) it was designed as a 4X racing frame and uses a virtual pivot suspension system to provide a fast accelerating bike with lots of wheel grip and control

photo

this gives it a progressive leverage ratio allowing reasonable shock pressures for back wheel ground tracking, without bottoming out on the big hits, and also 'active braking' which none of the rocker-activated single pivots have

photo

yes, I am biased because I have ridden my Rampant on many nasty DH and FR tracks, as well as Pump Tracks and Dirt Jumps, but its leagues ahead of the other short travel bikes simply because of the virtual pivot suspension

photo

I've ridden my Rampant and my buddy's TR Double back to back on the same pump track and there is no comparison in terms of back wheel grip, acceleration and control

photo

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 13:18 Quote
That's sick. I may invest in a rampant. How do you think it runs on 24's? how heavy is your setup?

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 13:21 Quote
don't run 24" wheels on the Rampant - you would end up with a bottom bracket too low for "real world use"

it feels awesome with 26" wheels, really quick, nimble and easy to thrown around, I come from a BMX background, and my Rampant is a sick bike for progressive riders!

photo

my Rampant is 28lb with 1 x 9 gearing, tubeless tires and a Pike 454 Air U-Turn

here's the spec:

photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020620
Mobile Version of Website