Powered by Outside

DH/4X - The Weight Game.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
DH/4X - The Weight Game.
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
djman22 wrote:
Just wondering if you used the CR's or the R's. And to the guy who said XTRs would be good for 4x, would they be alright for light freeride and all mountain? I can get an 06 set for free that's why I am wondering.

I haven't had any, I just work in a shop and watch them pass by daily. I've worked on both, the only difference between the two I found was the CR's were easier to setup initially.

Old XTR's are a little weak, I'd stay away from them for FR.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 14:22 Quote
Muttley wrote:
dh-pete wrote:
We've had plenty of Elixr's run through the shop. Mostly OEM.

Out of all of them, I've only ever had 2 brakes feel good, even after a bleed. Both were front. The rest, though. Felt a little spongy and the pistons for some reason, seemed to have a little toe-in. Which made the lever feel soft. Others were either always soft, too little room between the pads and disk for alignment with anything other than a perfect disk. Or they had a strangely slow returning lever.

Still, if I could get them to all feel like the 2 I actually liked. I'd agree with Stryke. But since they don't, Elixr's are no good in my opinion.

Shimano on the other hand, have been nothing but great. Even their factory bleed's were perfect. The feel was positive etc. The new Saint, although rather weighty, is the perfect brake to me.

both mine had every symptom you just listed.

I for one will never use another Avid hydraulic brake.

Personally (on my own bikes) I have seen poor quality control, the pad compounds are bunk, the hoses kink easily, and they howl like crazy. I have used Juicys, Codes, and Elixr's.

On customer bikes same problems but consistently. One thing I can say is that I rarely, if ever see any leaks from the factory, and the bleeds Avid does seem better than most on OEM product. Power is good, even if the noise levels are incredible.

Shimano on the other hand makes an OK low end brake and an awesome higher end brake. XT's are good if you use the right pads - that's the key to controlling overheating. Well worth a roughly calculated 100g to me - good brakes make you go faster!

Brake feel is personal preference, weight is a fact. I think Shimano vs. SRAM will never end - ever talked to a car guy?

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 14:23 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
marquis wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:
Right, I just went down and weighed the lower 6 gears on an Ultegra cassette. It comes to 122g. Can someone do me a favour and weight the respective gears on a Dura-ace cassette?

the difference in lock rings is 9 grammes.

So what you are saying is that they are in fact the same other than the lock ring which weighs 9g more on the ultegra? As for the different colour which you said before that is probably due to a different sprocket finish. They are both nickel plated but maybe with a slightly different alloy or dye.

no not the same at all,look at the pics provided and you can see the dura ace has some hefty machining on them.

if the difference is 44 grammes i would summise this...

lock ring 9 gramme loss.

upper portion at 20 gramme loss.

and say 15 gramme loss in the lower cogset.

the lowest section is the biggest cluster all in so i would hazard a guess this is where your saving most of the weight.

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 14:36 Quote
1. How big are you?
2. What bike?
3. How big of a hill do you ride on?
4. How big of a rotor?
5. How much initial bite do you like?

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 14:52 Quote
Hmmm ... Resin M07.

Dont bother with the Ti backed XTR versions, it's too much money for 6 g weight savings each.

PM sent with more info as to not clutter things up.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:13 Quote
Is it possible to run a 9 speed shimano deraileur with an 8 speed shimano shifter?

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:14 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
Is it possible to run a 9 speed shimano deraileur with an 8 speed shimano shifter?
yea, but you cant get to that 9th gear

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:15 Quote
me2menow wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
Or you could get to the ninth and not to the first.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:17 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
me2menow wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
which would essentially be the ninth

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:18 Quote
me2menow wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
me2menow wrote:
which would essentially be the ninth
Ok. I just wanted to make sure it would work. Thanks.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:22 Quote
I could be mistaken but the range of the derailleur does not change. It would be the intervals that change. In other words the spacing between the shifts would not match the spacing on the cassette.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:31 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
I could be mistaken but the range of the derailleur does not change. It would be the intervals that change. In other words the spacing between the shifts would not match the spacing on the cassette.

so long as the shifter and cassette are the same speed theres no worries.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:33 Quote
marquis wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:

Yes, but he's got a 9 speed cassette.

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:50 Quote
thats odd...cuz its worked for me, but then again it was a no name brand casette

Posted: Feb 10, 2009 at 15:52 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
marquis wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:

Yes, but he's got a 9 speed cassette.

he was asking about the rear mech.

and mrwilson is gonna try and weigh the lower cogset for you on the dura ace.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016391
Mobile Version of Website