Powered by Outside

Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 at 11:12 Quote
pinkrobe wrote:
Bilirubin5 wrote:
Just to I can measure my fitness against the rest of you--can you clean Pneuma or do you have to stop and catch your breath every so often? I fear my conditioning will never be up to snuff Frown
By the end of last season I was able to ride from Station Flats, up SS and then onto Pneuma up to Special K without having to stop for a rest, but I got bucked off here and there, so I didn't clean it. By the time I got that far, I had to take a breather.

Just keep riding it, you'll get there! tup
That's some serious elevation gain over some roots. Respect. Salute

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 at 14:47 Quote
Very few people out at Moose today. Everyone must be up in Grande Prairie for the race!

ROS - Dry and fun. Bit of a bog at the new jump trail section, just after the bridge.

Brakeless - tacky but fast. The very last berm needs some loving, be careful (at speed it spit me right into a stump - oof!)

T.Dub. Beautiful. Nary a trickle running in the stream. Young black bear hanging out at the wooden table jump at the bottom. Waiting for lunch?

No H3 Crackmobile sightings...

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 at 15:02 Quote
I haven't cleared it either, also being bucked off a few times closer to the top. A couple of the switchbacks near the top need a good surge of speed. Mind you it isn't a goal for me anyway (to clear the trail). This ex-spandex racer has suffered enoughBig Grin It's the perfect grade for a climb. My AM bike has a 34X34 and that is all that is really needed for me anyway. I do it on my FR bike with fullface and armour strapped to my full pack, but it has a granny gear thankfully. Unfortunately niether of my bikes have travel adjust forks... and I have wished for that near the top a few timesBlank Stare

Bilirubin5 wrote:
ukr77 wrote:
It's a fairly easy road but has a steep pitch higher up. I have my money on it...being Sunday and all, it wouldn't take too long before you get picked up on the way up. The road is really dusty, and shuttle trucks bomb it. A good way to do it is you drop down Race of Spades and the GF drop down Pneuma, of both go down ROS. There is a ride around for all the stunts, and dudes ride it on hard tales because it is so twisty fun. She could go down Pneuma but she would have to hang a left at the bottom of the trail and ride the parking lot back to Station Flats. OR she could hang a hard left at the intersection and turn left on the Elbow trail and that goes back to Station flats as well.

On a 50lb DH bike you will be walking a lot of Pneuma. Although not super technical and steep, it will wear you down. it's a 6km (?) slow gring to the top. Awesome trail though. It takes me about an hour to reach Special K on a 36+lb Corsair Maelstrom, not much faster on my little Slayer.

Just to I can measure my fitness against the rest of you--can you clean Pneuma or do you have to stop and catch your breath every so often? I fear my conditioning will never be up to snuff Frown

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 at 19:13 Quote
Prairie View - Prospector - Quaite - Jewell - Stoney. Sunday July 4.

About 4.5 hours, lots of wind, no rain. Trails all in excellent shape - tacky, no mud.

Prospector - or whatever the trail that runs down McConnell Ridge - is a pretty unique line.

Really raw and rough...great in some sections, a few very cool aspects. All in all a great day in the mountains.

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 at 20:05 Quote
Th3Fr33r1d3r wrote:
Keep an eye your cars at the Ing's Mine lot. Today at about 3:00 our shuttle driver walked away from his truck for like three minutes when he was waiting for us to finish a run down T-Dub. Came back to a dude taking a crow bar to his passenger door.

He was able to catch the dude by surprise. The crowbars guy's much larger buddy jumps out of the drivers seat of their vehicle, as the crowbar guy struggles to clamber back in to the passenger seat. The bigger dude then jumps back in and they peel out.

The guy with the crowbar was skinny, white, about 5ft10, dark hair, 150 to 160 pounds, and about 25 or so. Look like he had been on the rock pretty hard.

The guy driving was about 6ft5, 260 to 280 pounds, native, about 50 years old, had facial hair.

They were driving a brand new looking black Hummer H3, and had the license plate bent up.

Luckily my buddy caught the guy when he was just starting out and the damage is hardly noticeable. Don't know why he was prying on the door either, would have been way faster to hit the side window with the crowbar. Stupid crack heads can't even get being stupid effin crackheads right. On the other hand, the rest of the day was awesome and so were all the trails. Props to the builders. Beer

The same Hummer was out there today cruising the Ing's mine parking lot. I got the license number and reported it to the Conservation officer.

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 at 20:28 Quote
Was up at GP visiting the in-laws this weekend. I decided to ride Nite Hawk on Friday evening to check it out. Due to the race this weekend, the DH course was in awesome shape.

Not sure if you guys have ridden there before...but for anybody up in the GP area...I would highly recommend it. It has some technical sections, as well as some fast and flowy sections for all. It was a very welcomed surprise.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2010 at 20:53 Quote
bigheaddoug wrote:
The same Hummer was out there today cruising the Ing's mine parking lot. I got the license number and reported it to the Conservation officer.

Thank you. Beer

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 0:38 Quote
I don't think were gonna rebuild Cranston cuz there building houses so they'll tear them down again

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 12:07 Quote
Has anyone done the Brewer Creek-Panorama ride this season?
If you have, can you please comment on snow, deadfall etc.
Would you call it "open".
Thanks

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 14:19 Quote
slish wrote:
Rode sulphur/pnuema/moosepackers/ridgeback today. Conditions were awesome. I love that loop. That is my new favourite trail and Ridgeback is amazing. It was a very good day.

My computer battery died this morning so I dont know how long that loop really is. It seems like it would be a few km longer than the old sulphur/fireroad/moosepackers/tom snow of 22km. Anyone know?
After riding Sulphur Springs (past the clearing)/Pneuma/Moosepackers/Ridgeback yesterday my computer says 27km.

The re-route below packers is really fun and swoopy, and should get even better as it rides in.

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 15:19 Quote
A few ride reports from the weekend (I'll save my Jewell rant for the next post), shouldn't be anything too surprising in here:

Thurs - moose and surrounding area were prime shape.

Fri - Skogan was good up to the pass. I got chased off my original loop by some rain and clouds in the area, so I dropped back down to Nakiska and rode both terrace and ribbon. Both were also in good shape. A few wet sections on the climb from terrace to ribbon, but nothing that made it unrideable.

Sat - PV\CH to PV\J. As mentioned, there's a few trees down on CH (dammit, forgot my saw after seeing those same 2 trees down a few weeks ago - doh!). The Jewell descent was in good shape but seemed...easier. Someone has been in there recently and has sanitized just about every tech move that was left on that trail. WTF?

Sun - after all this powderface talk, I did one of my favorite loops in the area. Parked at powderface, up to the saddle, left and up to the ridge, descend on one of my favorite descents in the area towards elbow campground, link back up with the rest of the powderface long loop. There’s a few new loose sections on the powderface climb and one newish loose section on the PF ridge ascent. A few muddy sections on the ridge descent (if you've ridden it before, you'll know exactly which sections since they rarely if ever dry out in the middle of summer). Prairie creek was a bit wet / muddy on the first half, but was mint after the link trail joins in. Also, IIRC, there was a few blowdowns on the section of ST between the bottom \ end of powderface long and the start of prairie creek trail.

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 15:20 Quote
WTF happened to Jewell?

I rode Jewell a few weeks ago and then again on Saturday and it was much ‘easier’ this weekend. Someone has been through and has sanitized the trail.

Some of the improvements include (I really hope the sarcasm comes through on the word “improvements”):
- Top sections have some of the larger rocks cleared off the trail. The few chunky sections are noticeably less chunky than before.
- The one rock roll section has had everything not buried completely in soil removed from the runout (WTF - no longer that tricky). The section I’m referring to is the one where you can’t really see the line until you roll your front tire past the point of no return.
- The pedestrian bridge higher up (not the 3 bridges by the creek – basically 2 planks with the rider line just to the right in the small depression) that sits before a switchback left and then immediately drops to a chute has been cleansed and is stupidly easy. You no longer have to work for your line after making the switchback left.
- Past the 3 bridges beside the creek but before the climb, there used to be a bunch of fun slower speed tech moves over and around some of the larger boulders. Most of these moves were at corners, but those have all been reworked so that there's no longer a line through that makes you work for it. One section even had a new line cut in to avoid one of the slow-speed corners.

I’m really curious who did this to the trail?
I’m also really p!ssed off at whoever did this. You should bring yourself to the trail’s level; never bring the trail down to your level.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 16:17 Quote
konadawgy wrote:
Has anyone done the Brewer Creek-Panorama ride this season?
If you have, can you please comment on snow, deadfall etc.
Would you call it "open".
Thanks

There may be snow up at Brewer lake still.

Usually a mid July ride, but this year is an odd one.

I rode it last year and it was clear.

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 16:18 Quote
x-ker wrote:
WTF happened to Jewell?

I rode Jewell a few weeks ago and then again on Saturday and it was much ‘easier’ this weekend. Someone has been through and has sanitized the trail.

Some of the improvements include (I really hope the sarcasm comes through on the word “improvements”):
- Top sections have some of the larger rocks cleared off the trail. The few chunky sections are noticeably less chunky than before.
- The one rock roll section has had everything not buried completely in soil removed from the runout (WTF - no longer that tricky). The section I’m referring to is the one where you can’t really see the line until you roll your front tire past the point of no return.
- The pedestrian bridge higher up (not the 3 bridges by the creek – basically 2 planks with the rider line just to the right in the small depression) that sits before a switchback left and then immediately drops to a chute has been cleansed and is stupidly easy. You no longer have to work for your line after making the switchback left.
- Past the 3 bridges beside the creek but before the climb, there used to be a bunch of fun slower speed tech moves over and around some of the larger boulders. Most of these moves were at corners, but those have all been reworked so that there's no longer a line through that makes you work for it. One section even had a new line cut in to avoid one of the slow-speed corners.

I’m really curious who did this to the trail?
I’m also really p!ssed off at whoever did this. You should bring yourself to the trail’s level; never bring the trail down to your level.
I notice that too, I fully agree with your comments Madder

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 at 17:16 Quote
Saw the Black hummer by station flats on the hwy today. When i turned around to chase it, i couldnt find it again. Didnt know who to call at the time i had no numbers so i reported it to the Rcmp when i got home.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020124
Mobile Version of Website