Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 11:49 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Not the question you asked I know, but....

Check out Stendec steel springs. Similar weight to ti springs, very high performance and cost less than £100.
25lb increments and everything.
similar weight to extremely low quality Ti springs. the weight savings are actually pretty small with stendec coils. Ajax-ripper has one IIRC

ti-springs.com springs aren't exactly the highest quality....
i know, You're better off dialing in springrates and then saving for a good ti spring or spending the money on other areas of the bike.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 12:18 Quote
Nobble wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Nobble wrote:
similar weight to extremely low quality Ti springs. the weight savings are actually pretty small with stendec coils. Ajax-ripper has one IIRC

i know, You're better off dialing in springrates and then saving for a good ti spring or spending the money on other areas of the bike.

Are we saying Tisprings are not good quality?!

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 12:20 Quote
Decembersveryown wrote:
GaryOrange5 wrote:
Decembersveryown wrote:
Thanks for all your input on the hub, people.

Going to use the hope 10mm bolt on.

Now help me pick some rims Big Grin ha
Stan's Flow EX are pretty damn good. You'd be able to get the laced to Hope hubs off the shelf, even be able to spec the bolt on hub as well.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/hope-hoops-pro-2-evo-650b-10306

Pop them an email, they should be able to sort out the hub. They're a good bunch of guys.

Thanks for recommending these guys to me, ever so helpful, ordering a wheel set from them Big Grin
Glad they sorted you out buddy. Did they manage to get a bolt up spec'd on the wheelset from the factory?

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 12:37 Quote
laramee wrote:
Nobble wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

No, he's just saying that it would be better to figure out what steel spring works best first before spending money on a ti.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 12:39 Quote
Gingymp5 wrote:
laramee wrote:
Nobble wrote:

No, he's just saying that it would be better to figure out what steel spring works best first before spending money on a ti.

I get it.. But being as I have never purchased one before and have nothing to compare to I was hoping you guys can sort me out with suggestions..

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 12:50 Quote
GaryOrange5 wrote:
Decembersveryown wrote:
GaryOrange5 wrote:

Stan's Flow EX are pretty damn good. You'd be able to get the laced to Hope hubs off the shelf, even be able to spec the bolt on hub as well.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/hope-hoops-pro-2-evo-650b-10306

Pop them an email, they should be able to sort out the hub. They're a good bunch of guys.

Thanks for recommending these guys to me, ever so helpful, ordering a wheel set from them Big Grin
Glad they sorted you out buddy. Did they manage to get a bolt up spec'd on the wheelset from the factory?

They couldn't of been more helpful!

The rims you suggested are discontinued in 26" apparently, so they advised me different ones (hope tech enduro?). I questioned whether they were a downhill wheel and he said they were and that they can spec the hubs I'd need to suit my frame.

What do you think to the rim choice? Smile

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 12:51 Quote
Gingymp5 wrote:
laramee wrote:
Nobble wrote:

well yes and no, tisprings coils are cheap, and as a result they aren't as light as a high end spring such as one from RCS. I saved over 250g when I went from my steel spring to my high quality ti coil. I know other springs such as the tisprings.com ones have only saved some people like 100g.

I'd suggest spending the money on other areas of your bike first, a ti coil should be one of the last upgrades you make.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 12:51 Quote
hey guys is it normal to hear air type hissing when compressing a boxxer rc to around mid-travel? seems pretty normal to me, but wasn't sure.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 13:07 Quote
Please help.

"Saris Bones 2 Bike Rack"

Will my medium 2013 Gambler fit onto this securely????

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 13:20 Quote
For those interested in bike racks and can use a trailer hitch, my buddy borrowed one of these for us to use on a road trip and I was a little skeptical at first but it held three dh bikes and a dj bike with no problems for almost 1000 miles. For the price I would highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Highland-1375500-SportWing-Mounted-Carrier/dp/B004O5IDHE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427746674&sr=8-2&keywords=bike+rack+wing

It works by hanging the tires on the hooks.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 14:36 Quote
Decembersveryown wrote:
GaryOrange5 wrote:
Decembersveryown wrote:

They couldn't of been more helpful!

The rims you suggested are discontinued in 26" apparently, so they advised me different ones (hope tech enduro?). I questioned whether they were a downhill wheel and he said they were and that they can spec the hubs I'd need to suit my frame.

What do you think to the rim choice? Smile

Hope techs are good we both run those as well actually. I'd say they're the exact same tbh and not much to choose between the Hope tech and Flow EX rims, Flow EX are about 2mm internal rim width wider though and the Hope have steel eyelets which I prefer the look of but other than that there ain't much between them.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 0:12 Quote
Anyone been using the new Sram Guide RS for DH? Just ordered a bike with them on. The bike will be going to the Alps so alot of long descent so I need them to deal well with heat. Half tempted to stick my Hope V2's on there as I know they have an will do the job but they are getting on a bit now.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 0:46 Quote
Keep the Hope. I've tested the Guides last summer in Whistler, and while they're surprisingly fine brakes for the XC around there, they didn't satisfy me on the downhill bike. I rode multiple sets, Guide levers combined with Code calipers got the job done reasonably, but Guide on it's own doesn't seem like a DH brake to me, I'd put it next to some SLX or such.

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 1:56 Quote
I need a new set of flat pedals for the my dh rig, I'm leaning towards a set of deity skyscrapers, any other recommendation's?

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 2:13 Quote
Not a big fan of pedals that run on bushings, for both durability and maintenance reasons. I am, however, a huge fan of Atlas pedals, not that much more dough than the deity and I haven't planted a foot on a grippier pedal yet. Combined with the low profile and good weight, I see it as a strong favourite.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019244
Mobile Version of Website