PB Forum :: Downhill
Norco Aurum owners
Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 8:31 Quote
robbo989 wrote:
Just got mine all built up

photo

Sweet.

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 10:40 Quote
Alright guys, was wondering if any body else finds swapping out the rear spring on the alu aurums a b@ll ache cause of the top spacer bushing? Spring for my cane creek wont slide over it so everytime I want to change a spring need to press it out and in with a bushing press I dont have. Was thinking of flipping the shock this time so in future wont have to bother with that. Can one of you with flipped shocks maybe just conforms this works and simplifies this before I bother. Cheers in advance.

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 11:10 Quote
bumpythebear wrote:
Alright guys, was wondering if any body else finds swapping out the rear spring on the alu aurums a b@ll ache cause of the top spacer bushing? Spring for my cane creek wont slide over it so everytime I want to change a spring need to press it out and in with a bushing press I dont have. Was thinking of flipping the shock this time so in future wont have to bother with that. Can one of you with flipped shocks maybe just conforms this works and simplifies this before I bother. Cheers in advance.

Yes it can be a pain, what I did was to switch to a fox "5" piece bushing kit. Removal of the top spacers on the fox kit twists off using your hands, and as I benefit, the fox kit has much lower friction.
But now that I'm thinking about it fox might not work on a crane creek.
I don't think there would be a problem running the shock inverted, make sure that there's enough clearance between the reservoir and the down tube at full compression.

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 14:00 Quote
Cheers for the reply, ill look into the fox bushings, have to go to the bike shop to push the bearing out anyway so will ask them about those or otherwise flip it. Clearance should be good, I remember a few others doing it a while back but maybe for different reasons.

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 16:51 Quote
bumpythebear wrote:
Cheers for the reply, ill look into the fox bushings, have to go to the bike shop to push the bearing out anyway so will ask them about those or otherwise flip it. Clearance should be good, I remember a few others doing it a while back but maybe for different reasons.

No problem, I might be wrong, but I thought I saw a had bushing for crane creek at TF tuned.

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 23:36 Quote
@mulllz I replaced the Havocs (which were awful) with some e thirteen lg1+. They are so robust, they gave me loads more confidence and they're also pretty quiet which makes for a nice ride. Probably not as light as some out there.

Posted: Aug 9, 2015 at 7:56 Quote
https://www.facebook.com/laurence.adamson.1/videos/760055890773353/?__mref=message_bubble new whistler edit used a 2015 norco aurum

Posted: Aug 9, 2015 at 9:14 Quote
Hey guys i got a quick question my truck died so i bought a honda civic coupe(for the gas mileage) and there is no way i can fit my aurum in car unless i take tires, seat post and bars off, too much stuff to take off for me but if i have to i will. So next comes the question has anyone used a trunk rake like the yakima superjoe pro 2 with an aurum or any trunk rack like it. Do they fit properly on the aurum? Just to clearify i cant afford a roof rack right now so this is the only other option atm. Any help would be appreciated!

Posted: Aug 9, 2015 at 12:46 Quote
icyle800 wrote:
Hey guys i got a quick question my truck died so i bought a honda civic coupe(for the gas mileage) and there is no way i can fit my aurum in car unless i take tires, seat post and bars off, too much stuff to take off for me but if i have to i will. So next comes the question has anyone used a trunk rake like the yakima superjoe pro 2 with an aurum or any trunk rack like it. Do they fit properly on the aurum? Just to clearify i cant afford a roof rack right now so this is the only other option atm. Any help would be appreciated!

I use some sort of 10 year-old yakima trunk rack that's a hand-me-down from a family friend . Works like a charm, it's nearly identical to the "superjoe pro 2" you mentioned. So yes, it will fit an aurum.

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 at 9:30 Quote
Hy guys...

got my Norco Aurum 7.2C yesterday. Stoked about it and already swapped the Boxxer spring for a solo air ....

now I am considering changing the rear shock... I have a CCDB or CCDA Air in mind... what do you think is better? Coil or Air in the rear?

Advantage of the Air is you can get the bike below 15KG easily ...

cheers
tim

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 at 10:06 Quote
to be honest, I noticed no difference between the DB coil and air on the trail with my 2012 Aurum. the air has a bit more stiction in the parking lot, but it still gobbles up the small stutter bumps easily. if you do go air, be sure to upgrade to the XV can, as it makes the shock more linear to go with the (already) progressive rear suspension.

in terms of reliability I haven't had any issues. spent several seasons on DB coils on my DH bikes and never had a failure. I rode most of last season on an XV'd DB air (Aurum), and have 12 days of riding so far this year on my XV'd DB air'd Darkside, and no issues with either air shock.

big advantage of the air is adjustability in spring rate. if you want 30-35% sag for rough DH trails, or a stiffer setup for jump trails, all that is needed is a shock pump. the only time you'll notice a 1lb weight saving that low in the frame is when lifting the bike onto your roof.

Posted: Aug 10, 2015 at 22:33 Quote
Anyone know any famous freeriders who rode/ride the alloy norco aurum? how does the bike handle jumps and drops, I rode the 2015 today and it felt amazing and i'm wondering if the alloy one is as fun on drops and jumps and just as active. Thanks.

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 8:27 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
Anyone know any famous freeriders who rode/ride the alloy norco aurum? how does the bike handle jumps and drops, I rode the 2015 today and it felt amazing and i'm wondering if the alloy one is as fun on drops and jumps and just as active. Thanks.

I don't know anyone famous or that, but for ME, the carbon bike felt more of a RACE rig, still an awesome bike, but for ME, it was wanting me to go faster,and hang off the back of the bike a little too much for my liking. The alloy one, will still go like hell, but for my needs , it felt more rounded, if i wasn't in the mood to go mach 10 didn't matter, still handles great, responds to body inputs well, jumps with ease, but then again, i'm not signing up for the Whip Off worlds.

Either way you cant go wrong, both bikes are good, comes down to your riding preference.

Hope that helps
Brian

Posted: Aug 11, 2015 at 8:36 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:

Mike Hopkins rode a carbon Aurum at Rampage, however, he is now on Diamondback.

Mike Hopkins

I never rode the alloy version but I love my carbon bike. It handled equally well on technical trails and jumpy trails. The geo is different, so those who prefer the alloy geo (Like Brian, above me) will feel a bit different on it. I can't speak for the comparison, but I think either way you're going to be good to go.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 9:07 Quote
Both are great bikes. You have a more over the front position with the Carbon. The opposite applies to the aluminum version. I would definetily recommend the carbon as it really feels more composed and stable all while keeping a good dose of playfulness.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015492
Mobile Version of Website