40 and over mountain bikers.

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
40 and over mountain bikers.
Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 11:55 Quote
bigredride wrote:
hey y'all - Im a new to PB rider - 43 years old. Rode all thru my teens and 20's then stopped for 10 years or so. I got a hybrid for fitness, then a road bike but always felt at home in the dirt. Got a 29er a couple years ago and go riding 3-4x/ week. Took it to Whistler last weekend and had a ball at the bike park and now on the hunt for a DH bike because that was WAY to much fun! Have a hill near my place for shuttle runs and stoked for May to come so park opens up!

Whistler does that. :-)

Just picked up a new to me 2014 Norco Aurum 6.3. It's going to be a long winter.

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 11:58 Quote
NolanD wrote:
bigredride wrote:
hey y'all - Im a new to PB rider - 43 years old. Rode all thru my teens and 20's then stopped for 10 years or so. I got a hybrid for fitness, then a road bike but always felt at home in the dirt. Got a 29er a couple years ago and go riding 3-4x/ week. Took it to Whistler last weekend and had a ball at the bike park and now on the hunt for a DH bike because that was WAY to much fun! Have a hill near my place for shuttle runs and stoked for May to come so park opens up!

Just picked up a new to me 2014 Norco Aurum 6.3. It's going to be a long winter.

snowboarding?

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 12:07 Quote
mattygee020671 wrote:
NolanD wrote:
bigredride wrote:

snowboarding?

More of a skier than snowboarder. But yeah, I think we'll be spending more time on the mountain this winter. My boys aren't giving me a much of a choice.

And I run a lot more in the winter. Not exciting at all, but keeps the winter fat away.

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 12:41 Quote
NolanD wrote:
mattygee020671 wrote:
NolanD wrote:

snowboarding?

More of a skier than snowboarder. But yeah, I think we'll be spending more time on the mountain this winter. My boys aren't giving me a much of a choice.

And I run a lot more in the winter. Not exciting at all, but keeps the winter fat away.
im hoping for a better winter this year as the alps was shie this year, terrible lack of coverage in all the resorts followed by one of the wettest summers on record, good winter equals good sumer. ski school for my kids this year at 4 n 5 couple of seasons and they will be ripping

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 14:25 Quote
mattygee020671 wrote:
NolanD wrote:
mattygee020671 wrote:

snowboarding?

im hoping for a better winter this year as the alps was shie this year, terrible lack of coverage in all the resorts followed by one of the wettest summers on record, good winter equals good sumer. ski school for my kids this year at 4 n 5 couple of seasons and they will be ripping

Hope you have a better season this year.

My 8 and 9 yo are getting a late start in the snow, but it's all good fun. Enjoy.

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 15:13 Quote
BlurredVision wrote:
Just started dirt jumping. Worked my way up to hitting the first few on the lower Sherwood line at highland last weekend.
Views: 330    Faves: 0    Comments: 2
Nice man. My first few times jumping gaps had me a little nervous. Actually still not that comfortable. I wouldn't even think about jumping a high jump no matter how small the gap.

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 15:21 Quote
The only problem I have riding at this age is finding someone to ride with. If I am riding trails or Street on my Xc mountain bike I can call on one person. When I want to ride bmx or go dirt jumping I'm my own and that's when I need the company the most.

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 17:24 Quote
Very True, It's hard to find people to ride with that are the same age. I am the oldest guy in the group most of the time but bikers seem to be accepting of anyone.

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 17:37 Quote
flexte, I noticed that you are from Cherry Hill NJ. I rode the Cherry Hill skate park back in the day. That place was awesome. Here is a pic of me attempting the keyhole gap.

Attempting the keyhole gap

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 at 19:21 Quote
Yah I ride alone most of the time too. Hard at Whistler as Im in the learning curve for DH still so the young buds are all too fast for me! I learned riding motorbikes not to push too far past your comfort level so I'll continue to go at my own pace! Funny thing vs when I rode years ago....air seems more scry now than it did then!

Posted: Oct 18, 2014 at 2:18 Quote
Everyone is the same age with a full face on.

Posted: Oct 18, 2014 at 7:07 Quote
minty1 wrote:
Everyone is the same age with a full face on.

True, but the extra pads are an age giveaway. :-)

My riding partners range in age from 17 to 55 (excluding my kids). Everyone is accepting and nobody seems to care about age. It's all about having fun on a bike.

Posted: Oct 18, 2014 at 7:18 Quote
I've turned up alone at a set of dirt jumps and had coaching tips off kids less then half my age,very cool and not many other sports this would be the case.

Posted: Oct 18, 2014 at 7:24 Quote
minty1 wrote:
I've turned up alone at a set of dirt jumps and had coaching tips off kids less then half my age,very cool and not many other sports this would be the case.

Yep, me too. There's a great DJ park near my house. Most of the teens have been very helpfull in giving tips and advice to me and my kids. Very little attitude from anyone. Love it.

Posted: Oct 18, 2014 at 19:45 Quote
BlurredVision wrote:
flexte, I noticed that you are from Cherry Hill NJ. I rode the Cherry Hill skate park back in the day. That place was awesome. Here is a pic of me attempting the keyhole gap.

Attempting the keyhole gap
The only place I knew of was in Moorestown mall. are you sure it was cherry Hill. If so where.?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019394
Mobile Version of Website