Hardtails more prone to rear punctures?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hardtails more prone to rear punctures?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2014 at 3:40 Quote
Hello all,

I've been riding my hard tail since may 2-3 times a week and getting progressively faster.

In the past month i've had 3 rear punctures after riding more complex trails and I'm starting to wonder if its because I have a hard tail or is it something to do with my technique?

I was always considering going the full suspension route after 6-12 months riding a hardtail but any advice would be appreciated. Tyres are pumped to the tyre manufacturers recommendations.

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 at 6:05 Quote
Maaaany ways to answer this.

Were the punctures pinch flats or punctures from needles/slash in the tyre?

In short, yes a hardtail is easier to get a puncture with. As much travel as your legs allow, they will still need more time to absorb a rock/hit than a shock. Meaning that for the same impact, when on a full suspension bike you are fine, on a hardtail you would most likely pinch flat. And full suspension bikes are often flexier from the rear than hardtail, which could help deflect impacts.

That said, you may want to have a go at different options (and starting with a hardtail is a very good idea). I don't know what pressure you run on the rear, but you may want to increase that (over 2.5bars is too high I would say). Going Tubeless would avoid most punctures, but tyre/rim may not be compatible. Getting some stronger tyres would also help (downhill 2ply tyres are definintely strong that XC or enduro tyres), but they will be heavier.

Finally, might want to change the way you ride. Pick your lines more carefully, try to hop over rocks/roots/obstacles, use more your legs to absorb impacts (might want to lower a bit the saddle for example)

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 7:58 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Maaaany ways to answer this.

Were the punctures pinch flats or punctures from needles/slash in the tyre?

In short, yes a hardtail is easier to get a puncture with. As much travel as your legs allow, they will still need more time to absorb a rock/hit than a shock. Meaning that for the same impact, when on a full suspension bike you are fine, on a hardtail you would most likely pinch flat. And full suspension bikes are often flexier from the rear than hardtail, which could help deflect impacts.

That said, you may want to have a go at different options (and starting with a hardtail is a very good idea). I don't know what pressure you run on the rear, but you may want to increase that (over 2.5bars is too high I would say). Going Tubeless would avoid most punctures, but tyre/rim may not be compatible. Getting some stronger tyres would also help (downhill 2ply tyres are definintely strong that XC or enduro tyres), but they will be heavier.

Finally, might want to change the way you ride. Pick your lines more carefully, try to hop over rocks/roots/obstacles, use more your legs to absorb impacts (might want to lower a bit the saddle for example)

That last thing Ploutre said is good advice. When I started in mtb I would get a flat every singe ride. I learned to be more careful with the lines I chose and ultimately made me faster. That and a beefier tire will help a lot.

Posted: Nov 22, 2014 at 8:03 Quote
If you can DH on a HT you can DH on anything..

I started on a HT and it MAKES you learn to be smooth.. you cant just bash through things like on a full squishy bike..

More pressure in the tires..

Posted: Jan 22, 2015 at 13:38 Quote
Cheers for the replies guys haven't been on here for a while! I've sold my HT now and have a full sus lined up. Looking forward to shredding when the weather picks up!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008464
Mobile Version of Website