6'4" looking for DJ advice

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
6'4" looking for DJ advice
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2015 at 12:00 Quote
I'm 6'4" tall, 195 lbs. What should I look for in a DJ bike? I will be riding at at a skate park, hopefully a pump track and if I get guts maybe on dirt jumps.

Does top-tube length matter a lot? Would an Octane One frame from ChainReaction (22.4" Toptube be too short?) bet worth the $150?

Do I need a suspension fork? Those BMX kids sure rip with full rigid bikes. . .

Should I build a bike or buy a complete?

Is $950 a good price for a 2014 P.3???

Thanks ahead for answering all of my questions.

Posted: Apr 14, 2015 at 21:36 Quote
unrooted wrote:
I'm 6'4" tall, 195 lbs. What should I look for in a DJ bike? I will be riding at at a skate park, hopefully a pump track and if I get guts maybe on dirt jumps.

Does top-tube length matter a lot? Would an Octane One frame from ChainReaction (22.4" Toptube be too short?) bet worth the $150?

A lot of that answered here:
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=167638

As for a suspension fork . . . no you do not "need" it, if you are riding groomed pump track or dirt jumps. For rougher terrain, yes you do "need" it. However, I came from BMX and I really appreciate the benefits of a good DJ fork. Especially if you have bad wrists. However, if you are going to go for a rigid fork, then, yes, a concrete park is probably one of the better places for it--particularly if there are tighter transitions intended for skateboards or bmx bikes.

Good luck

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 12:02 Quote
im 6 foot 3 and i ride a nukeproof solum frame with a 23.6 in top tube length and it works awesome for me. idk if 22.4 would be to short or not. as for a suspension fork you could get an argyle or something which when you don't want it you can lock it out and it dam near becomes a solid fork it basically just takes the hit if you case real bad or something(gets rid of the wrist breaking motion.)
as for buying complete or building it yourself it depends what you want if you can find a bike that you like complete its probably cheaper to go that route and then you could upgrade slowly of just go balls deep and build your dream bike completely up to you.
one suggestion i would have for you since your so tall it to put a set of big riser bars on it. i put a set of diety villain 3s on my bike this year and its awesome it gets you a little more upright instead of so slouched over when you stand

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 11:54 Quote
bombing wrote:
im 6 foot 3 and i ride a nukeproof solum frame with a 23.6 in top tube length and it works awesome for me. idk if 22.4 would be to short or not. as for a suspension fork you could get an argyle or something which when you don't want it you can lock it out and it dam near becomes a solid fork it basically just takes the hit if you case real bad or something(gets rid of the wrist breaking motion.)
as for buying complete or building it yourself it depends what you want if you can find a bike that you like complete its probably cheaper to go that route and then you could upgrade slowly of just go balls deep and build your dream bike completely up to you.
one suggestion i would have for you since your so tall it to put a set of big riser bars on it. i put a set of diety villain 3s on my bike this year and its awesome it gets you a little more upright instead of so slouched over when you stand

It appears that 23.6 is "effective" top tube, not "actual." At least according to this. Did you measure it?

http://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/dirt-hard-tales-2-nukeproof-solum.html#HVGz8LhICRQEtc9k.97

Head angle: 69.5º
Chainstay: 385mm
Wheelbase: 1028.4/1048.4mm
Reach: 400/420mm
Effective top tube: 579.5/599.5mm

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 7:50 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
bombing wrote:

It appears that 23.6 is "effective" top tube, not "actual." At least according to this. Did you measure it?

http://dirtmountainbike.com/bike-reviews/dirt-hard-tales-2-nukeproof-solum.html#HVGz8LhICRQEtc9k.97

no i just found it on the internet somewhere. I did just go and measure it now though and your right its give or take with my super accurte measuring somewhere between 22 3/4 to 23 inches

Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 11:51 Quote
bombing wrote:
cmc4130 wrote:
bombing wrote:

no i just found it on the internet somewhere. I did just go and measure it now though and your right its give or take with my super accurte measuring somewhere between 22 3/4 to 23 inches

Cool, thanks!

Were you measuring the top tube from the center of seat tube to the center of head tube? like this?

photo

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 23:52 Quote
unrooted wrote:

SO, did ya get a bike?

O+
Posted: May 29, 2015 at 6:30 Quote
I bought a used Giant STP in a regular size. 22" TT. I'd like to get a cool 23" crome frame, but I'll learn to ride this for now.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2015 at 1:33 Quote
I am shorter than you and the STP L is perfect for me with a very short stem. It rails on dirt jumps. Med might be too small. At 6'4" its pretty hard to find a very long frame, dirt jumpers don't come in many sizes usually.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2015 at 5:24 Quote
I'm of the mindset that I'll just adapt to whatever I'm riding. But it would be great to try a large frame.

Posted: May 30, 2015 at 11:57 Quote
Run what you brung. If you get a large size frame in the future (At your size I would say it's a given) cool, but better to ride what you have then not ride anything. Or just bitch about your bike standing around out at the trails.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2015 at 15:30 Quote
I put a 50mm stem and 3" riser bar on it, not sure how a bigger frame should feel, but this works and I got a sweet deal on it.

Posted: May 30, 2015 at 17:47 Quote
Ride it! Sweet deals ride just the same but tend to make you smile more.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2015 at 18:06 Quote
Will do. It feels long compared to a bmx!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012355
Mobile Version of Website