How to ride DH safely and WIN!

PB Forum :: Downhill
How to ride DH safely and WIN!
Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 1:09 Quote
MrDuck wrote:
So I've finally come back to some of my confidence after wrecking my shoulder 3 years ago, enough so that I started racing again.

I race both the local races in Whistler (phat wednesdays) and I'm trying to do as many BC Cups as I can afford, and it turns out I'm pretty slow. I'm probably not riding at my 100%, sort of playing it safe, but no matter if I pull off a run I'm happy with or if I make mistakes here and there, I'm consistently about 30s slower than the top guys.

I don't feel like I'd be fighting the bike at all, which would point at physical strength I guess, nor I'm running out of breath, I feel like it's in the head that I just can't go faster. I feel like I'm too slow to join some training program around here, which seems like the logical step to find my weaknesses and improve.

I'm riding the bike nearly every day, and DH is almost my only exercise through the summer, riding enduro in the winter to build up the stamina to get me through. I honestly have no idea where to look for speed now, any suggestions?

Don't be a pussy? More seriously, wear body armor, try to push yourself on trails you feel comfortable with, really focus on riding technique (mostly looking ahead, elbows out, inside knee pointed to the apex, and outside foot down), and ride the same trails over and over (this will let you focus on the above vs. learning new trails). Oh and let off the brakes.

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 1:36 Quote
ddstuntjump wrote:
MrDuck wrote:
So I've finally come back to some of my confidence after wrecking my shoulder 3 years ago, enough so that I started racing again.

I race both the local races in Whistler (phat wednesdays) and I'm trying to do as many BC Cups as I can afford, and it turns out I'm pretty slow. I'm probably not riding at my 100%, sort of playing it safe, but no matter if I pull off a run I'm happy with or if I make mistakes here and there, I'm consistently about 30s slower than the top guys.

I don't feel like I'd be fighting the bike at all, which would point at physical strength I guess, nor I'm running out of breath, I feel like it's in the head that I just can't go faster. I feel like I'm too slow to join some training program around here, which seems like the logical step to find my weaknesses and improve.

I'm riding the bike nearly every day, and DH is almost my only exercise through the summer, riding enduro in the winter to build up the stamina to get me through. I honestly have no idea where to look for speed now, any suggestions?

Don't be a pussy? More seriously, wear body armor, try to push yourself on trails you feel comfortable with, really focus on riding technique (mostly looking ahead, elbows out, inside knee pointed to the apex, and outside foot down), and ride the same trails over and over (this will let you focus on the above vs. learning new trails). Oh and let off the brakes.

Feet level where possible. Its faster. Outside foot down on loose off camber bastard corners.

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 7:45 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Feet level where possible. Its faster. Outside foot down on loose off camber bastard corners.

Can anyone else attest to this?

I don't doubt it, but I'd rather check before changing literally everything about my riding lol

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 9:39 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

I don't doubt it, but I'd rather check before changing literally everything about my riding lol

I'd like to hear other opinions too. The other day I was chatting to a mates girlfriend who started riding dh recently. Basically said to her "at first, always keep your outside foot down in non-bermed corners. If you are worried about your front end washing out, stick your inside leg out. If you are really worried, drag your inside foot through the dirt. The more your confidence grows, the less you will need to do this, and the more situations you will be able to keep your feet level.

When you get super confident you will be able to get both wheels drifting, with both feet on the pedals and level.

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 11:20 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

I'd like to hear other opinions too. The other day I was chatting to a mates girlfriend who started riding dh recently. Basically said to her "at first, always keep your outside foot down in non-bermed corners. If you are worried about your front end washing out, stick your inside leg out. If you are really worried, drag your inside foot through the dirt. The more your confidence grows, the less you will need to do this, and the more situations you will be able to keep your feet level.

When you get super confident you will be able to get both wheels drifting, with both feet on the pedals and level.

specially in s-corners ,bermed or unbermed, its easier to have your feet leveled ,so you don't have to worry about getting one pedal up and the other down.

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 13:45 Quote
Awesome guys.

I'm at the point in my riding where I really want to improve the smaller stuff like that. I keep hearing little pointers like that, and it's great having something to work on.

Posted: Oct 26, 2015 at 9:24 Quote
There are some great tips listed! Some of these I found out by trial and error on my own and being pretty new to mountain biking I am sure I am still going to be going through trial and error! I think the most important tip though is just breathing! The first major down hill I went through was about a 100 foot drop in elevation and I held my breath the whole and time and tensed up. Which made for a really nerve racking ride. The second time I attempted the downhill I relaxed and focused on my line going down and enjoyed myself way more the second time around!

Posted: Nov 7, 2015 at 16:00 Quote
Look further ahead...no, further. There you go.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 17:28 Quote
Awesome thread!

After an ACL surgery I'm very worried about the psycological aspect when I'm able to ride again.

I think that I'm going to need all these advices...

Posted: Nov 9, 2015 at 19:47 Quote
being safe with dh? well...

Posted: Nov 12, 2015 at 10:03 Quote
Hey did you guys here about blackspires Recognition 45 tooth chainrings, there going for 45$! Ha no more pushing for me!

Posted: Nov 27, 2015 at 10:02 Quote
ONE Sport I miss with a passion... Broke both knee caps a few years ago... never been the same!!!

Posted: Nov 27, 2015 at 15:14 Quote
gregoryfey88 wrote:
ONE Sport I miss with a passion... Broke both knee caps a few years ago... never been the same!!!

How do you break both kneecaps?

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 at 15:26 Quote
you will have to ride the track to know it...learn as you go down the track.

Posted: Dec 21, 2015 at 3:27 Quote
JustaStinky wrote:
Amazing! http://www.getcocgem.com/ - I got free Clash of Clans gems here! Get yous too in less than two minutes!! Everybody is already using free gems from here.(HCE478iqsU)
f*ck off

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014261
Mobile Version of Website