Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 10:24 Quote
Cool vid [or "edit" as the kids say]. I suppose I should actually ride my bike...

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 12:45 Quote
I agree, great video. I have been on most of the trails out there but I am wondering about Shoulda, where is the start for it?

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 17:41 Quote
I am wondering if anyone would be interested to do some shuttle runs with me and my buddy when the moose mountain road opens. Were looking for another rider who has a vehicle because we just have one van and would like to get lots of runs in and meet up with some new riding buddies.

Also if anyone would want to do some hike and bike before the gate opens we would be down for that too.

Just send me a PM if interested

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 18:50 Quote
So, with all this talk of Pneuma this Pneuma that, how about Race of Spades?

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 19:06 Quote
Fish creek is good to go at over 90% dry. Now if everyone would just start riding it in the same direction (i.e. clockwise or east to west on the good parts of the trail) and the dog walkers would avoid the bike route we would really be onto something down in fish...

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 19:09 Quote
*edit* never mind....

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 19:53 Quote
Under a pile of snowBlank Stare
nouseforaname wrote:

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 20:10 Quote
ukr77 wrote:
Under a pile of snowBlank Stare
nouseforaname wrote:
snow snow and snow the sheet ice and mud

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 20:55 Quote
Shoulda, Toothless and Pneuma were all good tonight. The trail just before the canyon creek parking lot that goes to sulphur springs has some pretty significant blow down. Good thing its a really short walk Razz

For anyone wondering where Shoulda is http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30179394

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 21:04 Quote
my fried decided he would crash into a tree in toothless, warp his bars. then face plant

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 21:40 Quote
Ride Report - Some of Sulphur Springs, a Wee Bit of Upper Pneuma, Hot Laps and Lower Pneuma - April 15

Sulphur Springs is in astounding shape for this time of year. Are there wet spots? Yup, but they're the same wet spots that you find in May, June or July. The creek is still frozen over, and there is snow on the trail between the creek and the base of the main climb, but it's so soft that knobbies grip well.

Pneuma above Sulphur Springs is fine, or at least the bit that I rode is fine. Hot laps is Hot Laps, but soggy. Lower Pneuma has been cleared of deadfall and blowdown [thanks Jon], but other than that is almost exactly the same as the last time I rode it [October].

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2010 at 1:03 Quote
No time to head out to the foothills on Thursday evening, so...
I found 12 Mile Coulee to be in good shape with only a handful of short sloppy bits, mainly at the creek crossings.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2010 at 6:21 Quote
Montane Trail in Canmore: upper mainly dry with a few sloppy spots. As you go west towards Harvey Heights it tends to be wetter. The lower return trail through the trees after the blow down section that we tried was very wet and muddy with some snow patches still. Dropped out to Harvey Heights and followed the powerline to the trail on the prow of the hill. Hope that helps. It is very dry out there, sort of scary actually.

Posted: Apr 16, 2010 at 6:52 Quote
Pneuma/Billy Dog is a great option right now, Billy dog is pretty much loose and dry

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2010 at 6:55 Quote
Prairie View - Jewel Pass April 15:

Climb up to PV is dusty, ridge line off summit is clear, first ~600m into the trees is snow covered and icey but still rideable, dry and dusty until ~500m before the JP junction where it gets quite icy again, first section of JP is soggy and not great then it dries out and was nice and tacky until the first bridge crossing at Jewel Falls, the next 300m or so is a massive ice flow - sketchy at best - then it dries up again and was great all the way back to Barrier. Minimal blow-down.

Of note, some other riders spotted an adolescent black bear on the power line trail back to Barrier - we did not.

It was a beautiful evening, warm, no wind, and despite the icey sections, mud, etc, we were relatively clean and back to the parking lot in an hour and 15 minutes...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017342
Mobile Version of Website