Leatt Brace

PB Forum :: Downhill
Leatt Brace
Posted: Sep 13, 2014 at 19:37 Quote
benthirlwell wrote:
Nobble wrote:
how did you manage that?

My friend broke the breakaway thoracic on his while riding moto.

Upper link on my V10 hyper-extended right as I was going into a rock garden sending me into a front flip. I am still unsure if it broke by hitting my helmet or by hitting the ground.
If it was your helmet then you may just owe your life to that brace.

Posted: Sep 13, 2014 at 20:43 Quote
Gingymp5 wrote:
benthirlwell wrote:
Nobble wrote:
how did you manage that?

My friend broke the breakaway thoracic on his while riding moto.

Upper link on my V10 hyper-extended right as I was going into a rock garden sending me into a front flip. I am still unsure if it broke by hitting my helmet or by hitting the ground.
If it was your helmet then you may just owe your life to that brace.
I figure it was from hitting the ground. I think if it was my helmet I'd have broken the thoracic strut.

Posted: Oct 30, 2014 at 19:57 Quote
hi guys,

read through some 10 older pages but still couldn't find an answer. need help on some leatt comparison

DBX pro vs DBX pro lite

what's the difference in these 2 models? i've been trying to figure them out from online stores & through photos but nothing seemed concrete.

also, does both these models come with a free brace bag?

i am using a THE T2 carbon fullface helmet, anyone has tried the THE T2 helmet compatibility on the DBX pro or DBX pro lite?

thanks loads
cheers!

Posted: Oct 31, 2014 at 0:08 Quote
vinoviruz wrote:
hi guys,

read through some 10 older pages but still couldn't find an answer. need help on some leatt comparison

DBX pro vs DBX pro lite

what's the difference in these 2 models? i've been trying to figure them out from online stores & through photos but nothing seemed concrete.

i am using a THE T2 carbon fullface helmet, anyone has tried the THE T2 helmet compatibility on the DBX pro or DBX pro lite?

thanks loads
cheers!
Hey man, I have the DBX pro lite, but the the DBX pro, so I can't compare apples to apples with them, but I'll tell you what the Pro Lite has.

It has the matte finish over the glossy finish of the pro, which I personally like. It is lighter than dbx pro, although I don't think this is a huge selling point because both are carbon. It sure feels light around my neck though. But I'd say the most significant difference is that for the rear thoracic strut, it has color coded chips that you can arrange to get the perfect degree of fit that you like. I remember reading that the DBX pro doesn't have the color coded chips, and there were some people who wished it was a bit simpler.

Lastly, I do not know if the DBX pro comes with a bag for it, but my DBX pro lite did not. I just put it in my gear bag so this was a non issue for me. And as for compatibility, I wear a D3 carbon and there's no interference when I have my helmet on. It's solid as a rock and its saved my ass a few times, that's for sure.

Hope this helps!

O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2014 at 4:40 Quote
vinoviruz wrote:
hi guys,

DBX pro vs DBX pro lite

thanks loads
cheers!
I believe the point of making PRO Lite was just dropping weight, otherwise they should be pretty similar functionally.

I've got the PRO Lite, used with Kali Avatar, D3 and a Dissident, been super comfortable with all of them!

Posted: Nov 1, 2014 at 8:40 Quote
MrDuck wrote:
I believe the point of making PRO Lite was just dropping weight, otherwise they should be pretty similar functionally.

I've got the PRO Lite, used with Kali Avatar, D3 and a Dissident, been super comfortable with all of them!

MecDude22 wrote:
Hey man, I have the DBX pro lite, but the the DBX pro, so I can't compare apples to apples with them, but I'll tell you what the Pro Lite has.

It has the matte finish over the glossy finish of the pro, which I personally like. It is lighter than dbx pro, although I don't think this is a huge selling point because both are carbon. It sure feels light around my neck though. But I'd say the most significant difference is that for the rear thoracic strut, it has color coded chips that you can arrange to get the perfect degree of fit that you like. I remember reading that the DBX pro doesn't have the color coded chips, and there were some people who wished it was a bit simpler.

Lastly, I do not know if the DBX pro comes with a bag for it, but my DBX pro lite did not. I just put it in my gear bag so this was a non issue for me. And as for compatibility, I wear a D3 carbon and there's no interference when I have my helmet on. It's solid as a rock and its saved my ass a few times, that's for sure.

Hope this helps!

thanks guys, now i know the dbx pro lite is lighter... still, anyone knows the compatibility with the THE T2 helmet?

Posted: Nov 1, 2014 at 8:43 Quote
A word of advice about the carbon leatts.

They're basically disposable single hit items like helmets are supposed to be. My friend broke his and leatt's response was basically "well yeah, if you want one to last then get the cheaper one. The pro is designed for racers who want the lightest and don't mind replacing it when it breaks."

I'd suggest getting a cheaper leatt and investing in a better helmet if you don't already have a really nice one.

Edit: that last part is particularly relevant to the guy above with the T2. Those things are sketchy.

Posted: Nov 1, 2014 at 8:57 Quote
Nobble wrote:

They're basically disposable single hit items like helmets are supposed to be. My friend broke his and leatt's response was basically "well yeah, if you want one to last then get the cheaper one. The pro is designed for racers who want the lightest and don't mind replacing it when it breaks."

I'd suggest getting a cheaper leatt and investing in a better helmet if you don't already have a really nice one.

Edit: that last part is particularly relevant to the guy above with the T2. Those things are sketchy.

noted on the carbon vs cheaper leatts... thanks

whats ur take on "a better helmet"? also, why are the T2s sketchy?

Posted: Nov 1, 2014 at 17:17 Quote
vinoviruz wrote:
Nobble wrote:

T2 is the VSI equivalent to TLD's D2. extremely lightweight, absolute minimal padding. A D3 on sale is a good lid, Fly F2 carbons (a light ish Moto helmet) also work extremely well with Leatt's.

O+
Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 9:23 Quote
Nobble wrote:

Well I have yet to see a ruined Leatt, and there's quite a few of my friends riding those.

I've managed to break the thoracic strut, which is supposed to break, and is carbon on all leatt braces (before the 5.5, perhaps?). It's a bit cheaper to get a replacement for the cheaper braces though.

Anyways, when the "main body" of the brace breaks, I suppose that must be quite a crash, so it would be the last thing I'd worry about. Meanwhile, the PRO Lite is noticeably lighter than that Ride or whatever I had before, and thus it is more comfortable while riding.

Is it worth the price difference though? That's everyone's call I guess. A lighter helmet is definitely more noticeable than lighter neck brace. And more comfort might indirectly lead to less crashing, therefore less worrying about breaking all that expensive stuff Smile

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 18:38 Quote
I was referring to the thoracic member. It's breakaway but it's also $125 a pop for every one you break, and they break easily.

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 18:47 Quote
lol I don't notice the weight of a neck brace at all, its not like you're riding XC with it lol

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 at 18:50 Quote
Bmxerch wrote:
vinoviruz wrote:
Nobble wrote:

T2 is the VSI equivalent to TLD's D2. extremely lightweight, absolute minimal padding. A D3 on sale is a good lid, Fly F2 carbons (a light ish Moto helmet) also work extremely well with Leatt's.

noted with thanks!

Posted: Apr 28, 2015 at 12:29 Quote
Hey guys I have just received a Leatt 5.5 brace to use with 3df airfit body armour.
Are the brace and the airfit top meant to be compatible in some way? There are two tabs by the neck on the top with 'BraceOn' and do I take the 3df padding out at the rear when using with the brace?

Posted: Apr 29, 2015 at 9:15 Quote
faceplanter99 wrote:
Hey guys I have just received a Leatt 5.5 brace to use with 3df airfit body armour.
Are the brace and the airfit top meant to be compatible in some way? There are two tabs by the neck on the top with 'BraceOn' and do I take the 3df padding out at the rear when using with the brace?

I bought the same combo a couple of months ago..!
They do work together, the two tabs by the neck in the air fit help hold the brace, if the straps don't do it already.
I've been really happy with both of them, they are the most comfortable integrated neck/back protection I've tried. The Leatt 5.5 is the best without a doubt, it gives enough clearance for DJ or DH so I can wear it always..
Good luck mate!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.139964
Mobile Version of Website