What is the toughest most durable spray paint out there?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What is the toughest most durable spray paint out there?
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 4:39 Quote
How hot does the powdercoating process get?

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 6:10 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
How hot does the powdercoating process get?
I am not 100% but I think 300-400 degrees.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 13:24 Quote
3-400 degrees isn't all that hot really. I don't see it doing any damage to your fork's lowers. I don't know a whole lot about magnesium, so I could be wrong, but generally speaking 3-400 degrees is pretty insignificant as far as metal and temperature are concerned.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 14:49 Quote
Catastrophic fork failure is not something I want to test over fork color. Powder coating is just a bad idea for fork lowers.I am going to paint it with self etching primer and the best enamal paint I can find at either an auto store or marine equipment supply shop. Marine paint is pretty damb tough if I remember correctly.

FL
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 14:55 Quote
Surely the durability comes down to the quality of the clear coat and how many layers you put on after the spray paint.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 15:19 Quote
Royston wrote:
Surely the durability comes down to the quality of the clear coat and how many layers you put on after the spray paint.
no.
also, powdercoat has no clear.

FL
Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 15:30 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
Royston wrote:
no.
Thread title says spray paint, I `stupidly` assumed that meant the kind that comes in cans.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 15:34 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:
Royston wrote:
no.
"Clear powder coating serves the same purpose as clear coat wet paint. It protects the underlying finish and adds depth and luster to the surface. Clear powder coat is applied as a second coat and shot while the piece is still hot. Then the piece is returned to the oven for a second curing process. Use clear powder coating on any piece that exposure to elements could cause it to fade or be subject to damage."http://www.custompowdercoating.com/faq.html sorry mate but they make clear powder coat

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 15:53 Quote
they also make pink sparkle powdercoat... not what I was getting at...

you do not need to get a clear coat done for powdercoat, it is a single stage process.
unlike most paint where there is a base coat, colour coat, and clear coat... and often multiple of each.

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 15:54 Quote
Unhallowed wrote:

you do not need to get a clear coat done for powdercoat, it is a single stage process.
unlike most paint where there is a base coat, colour coat, and clear coat... and often multiple of each.
you ment pc doesnt require a clear coat got yah

Posted: Apr 18, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
S1L3NTR4GE wrote:
Unhallowed wrote:

you ment pc doesnt require a clear coat got yah
bingo

Posted: Apr 19, 2009 at 0:33 Quote
tatsimaru wrote:
I just finish painting my Boxxer lower. I used car mag paint. It's super strong but ou dont have to much color choice. The othe bad ting about this pait, it smell REALLY strong when you paint it, so you need a mask.

The result of my work:

photo

photo

photo

photo

thats so sick m8 Pimp

Posted: Jun 12, 2010 at 11:12 Quote
tatsimaru wrote:
I just finish painting my Boxxer lower. I used car mag paint. It's super strong but ou dont have to much color choice. The othe bad ting about this pait, it smell REALLY strong when you paint it, so you need a mask.

The result of my work:
snip

hey are the letters sprayed on there aswell ? i just got hold of some dirt cheap 04-05 boxxers(one with no v mounts) and they are hand painted with a brush so im going to strip em down and have a play with an air brush anyone got any ideas ?

i was thinking gloss black on the bottom being cut into by the moster energy clawmarks in either their blue or green and fading into blue or green at the top

verdict?

Posted: Sep 29, 2017 at 9:56 Quote
renb wrote:
Hey everyone, I am looking at painting my fox 40 lowers and was wondering if anyone had any insight on the best paint (brand) to use. I painted my frame last year with automotive paint and auto motive grade etching primer but the paint had no durability. This is after I had spent a week painting. I did sand it between every coat and let every coat dry for a day as well. Anyone have any luck with spray bombing?

Ummm. High heat enamel dude.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016038
Mobile Version of Website