160mm forks

• Previous Page
Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 3:59 Quote
Looking for an upgrade for my spesh pitch from my 140mm pikes, mainly for alpine trips and im also hoping to do the megavalanche or similar next year. I have spent the last month and a half looking at reviews and prices for 160mm forks. Got it down to 3 choices, RS Lyrik (Solo air or 2 step air), Fox 36 talas and the Magura Wotan.

Ive heard horror stories about the two step cartridge in 2 step breaking over about a months use, is this true? Travel adjust however looks pretty attractive, and id still like to be able to ride in the peaks, but not on 160mil the whole time.

Magura reviews are quite hard to come by, and the single decent one ive seen slates it for not having high or low speed compression, but the rest of its features looks solid.

They all seem to be in the same price/weight range, so what would people recommend?

Cheers for any suggestions guys.

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 7:27 Quote
JohnBass1992 wrote:
Looking for an upgrade for my spesh pitch from my 140mm pikes, mainly for alpine trips and im also hoping to do the megavalanche or similar next year. I have spent the last month and a half looking at reviews and prices for 160mm forks. Got it down to 3 choices, RS Lyrik (Solo air or 2 step air), Fox 36 talas and the Magura Wotan.

Ive heard horror stories about the two step cartridge in 2 step breaking over about a months use, is this true? Travel adjust however looks pretty attractive, and id still like to be able to ride in the peaks, but not on 160mil the whole time.

Magura reviews are quite hard to come by, and the single decent one ive seen slates it for not having high or low speed compression, but the rest of its features looks solid.

They all seem to be in the same price/weight range, so what would people recommend?

Apparently the 2010/2011 2 step's reliability has improved (Data sourced from various long term mtb magazine reviews). And is much more supple (initial travel) than the fox. Personally Id still go with the fox as I havent heard too many complaints and Its reliability isnt an issue.

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 7:33 Quote
taylar wrote:
JohnBass1992 wrote:

Apparently the 2010/2011 2 step's reliability has improved (Data sourced from various long term mtb magazine reviews ie mountain biking UK's fork shoot out issue 248 March 2010). And is much more supple (initial travel) than the fox. Personally Id still go with the fox as I havent heard too many complaints and Its reliability isnt an issue.
also like that the talas only has two travel settings as opposed to three.

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 7:54 Quote
JohnBass1992 wrote:

I recently bought the 2010 2 step Lyrik Solo Air to build up my bullit. The frame hasn't been delivered yet, but I can't wait get them set up. A friend has them on his bike and that's what made me buy them. When I rode his bike, the plushness (is that a word?!) was amazing, and the 2 step feature was perfect for the climbs. He's had them for about 7 months now and no problems with any part of the fork. I'll be using mine for alpine adventures, and from what I've experienced, I'd say go for them tup

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 8:01 Quote
Also, if you don't mind a 1 1/8th steerer, this might sway you. 2010 Lyrik 2 step solo air (same as mine) for £499:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Frame++Forks/Forks++Shocks/Rockshox+Suspension+Forks/Rockshox+Lyrik+2-Step+Air+Forks+-+2010_2156.htm

BARGAIN!!

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 8:04 Quote
MackemMark wrote:
Also, if you don't mind a 1 1/8th steerer, this might sway you. 2010 Lyrik 2 step solo air (same as mine) for £499:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Frame++Forks/Forks++Shocks/Rockshox+Suspension+Forks/Rockshox+Lyrik+2-Step+Air+Forks+-+2010_2156.htm

BARGAIN!!

Man thats well decent, my headtube is 1 1/8 anyway. Need to start saving up some more money...currently looking for 2nd hand ones around £350

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 8:08 Quote
JohnBass1992 wrote:
MackemMark wrote:

BARGAIN!!

Man thats well decent, my headtube is 1 1/8 anyway. Need to start saving up some more money...currently looking for 2nd hand ones around £350

They're a cracking deal mate. You're saving over £200 over the other models you mentioned and with that you have cash left for other upgrades, or servicing the forks after some severe abuse Wink

I'd say ask for money for christmas and get them bought as soon as you can, cos they wont be around for long at that price!

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 8:22 Quote
I've been riding the Wotan for over a year now, zero issues. It feels super supple and virtually bottomless. Overall a great a fork that has never let me down.

Posted: Dec 20, 2010 at 9:35 Quote
Just had this dilemma myself. I had 140mm air u-turn pikes which were really good. In the end I purchased a 170mm Lyrik. By the time you’ve dialled in the sag at 30 percent you’re riding at 119 mm – only 15 mm different to your pike at 25% sag. I added 30mm travel to my previous bike and it just made it better everywhere – not much difference in uphills. I figured that for me, a bit more hard work on the up, was a simple trade off for loads more enjoyment on the gravity sections. 170mm is really good on the rockier peak district rides – plus when I hit a decent downhill session I’m fully sorted for it. Merlin are still doing a small range of lyrics for a wicked price and if you ebay you’re old pikes you’ll only end up spending 300 quid extra. Plus the solo air lyrik is 200g lighter than my old pike fork. Simple. Oh, don’t forget, if you’re riding in the Alps you want bomb proof so maybe avoid the two step.

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 at 15:25 Quote
miloherbie wrote:
Just had this dilemma myself. I had 140mm air u-turn pikes which were really good. In the end I purchased a 170mm Lyrik. By the time you’ve dialled in the sag at 30 percent you’re riding at 119 mm – only 15 mm different to your pike at 25% sag. I added 30mm travel to my previous bike and it just made it better everywhere – not much difference in uphills. I figured that for me, a bit more hard work on the up, was a simple trade off for loads more enjoyment on the gravity sections. 170mm is really good on the rockier peak district rides – plus when I hit a decent downhill session I’m fully sorted for it. Merlin are still doing a small range of lyrics for a wicked price and if you ebay you’re old pikes you’ll only end up spending 300 quid extra. Plus the solo air lyrik is 200g lighter than my old pike fork. Simple. Oh, don’t forget, if you’re riding in the Alps you want bomb proof so maybe avoid the two step.

interesting concept. not familar with the damping on the 170mm Lyrick but i would want good low-speed compression if running it with that much sag when lugging it up hills, i hate loosing power into bouncy forks.

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 at 15:36 Quote
i's get a lyric coil u-turn... stupid reliable and adjustable

Posted: Dec 21, 2010 at 15:38 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
i's get a lyric coil u-turn... stupid reliable and adjustable
and it won the all-mountain fork shootout for 2010 (non-uturn)

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 at 9:56 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
interesting concept. not familar with the damping on the 170mm Lyrick but i would want good low-speed compression if running it with that much sag when lugging it up hills, i hate loosing power into bouncy forks.

Its got both low and high speed compression adjustment - usually ride mine at 25% sag as i like the way it feels that way and its not too bad uphill.

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 12:46 Quote
Lyric Solo Air 160mm or Fox 36 Float RC2 160mm

I'm rocking the 36 Float after having owned 2 (2009 and 2010) 36 Talas RC2 and the Float kills the Talas in terms of performance, and it sags properly (where the Talas was sticky) so it does not feel as long as the Talas during normal use Wink

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
Lovin my 36 talas RC2! Get it.tup

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012538
Mobile Version of Website