Powered by Outside

Saint Brake Help

PB Forum :: Downhill
Saint Brake Help
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 25, 2011 at 23:59 Quote
Hey guys,

So I just bought some new saint brakes, and have a quick question about them...
It seems like when you pull the lever it goes so far, as to almost hit your fingers on the grips.
I'm used to Avid brakes, so I'm not sure how to adjust them properly.
Is it because they are new? or what?

Thanks!

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 0:05 Quote
drinkmilk54 wrote:
Hey guys,

It seems like when you pull the lever it goes so far, as to almost hit your fingers on the grips.

Thanks!
you need to adjust the gold dial on the front, this is the lever adjustt dial & will set your lever to come in further or out further.

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 0:32 Quote
demo-dood wrote:
drinkmilk54 wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks!
you need to adjust the gold dial on the front, this is the lever adjustt dial & will set your lever to come in further or out further.
Ya i tried that, but the closer i bring it, the more it hits my fingers...and if i go further out, its too far to pull. any other way?

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 0:57 Quote
whats your pad contact feel like? do u have to pull the lever all the way to the bar for them to bite?

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 2:18 Quote
cant say for sure never tried saint brakes but id try putting a hair band or strong elastic band around your lever & grips to pull the lever just about all the way in but leave a little play area for the lever to pull forward this will get all the air bubles to the top of the line might take a few hours to get the bite position back to normal (just about all me bikes with discs have hair bands round the bars for this fix depends if its a open or closed system i think) best to do it overnight

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 9:54 Quote
demo-dood wrote:
whats your pad contact feel like? do u have to pull the lever all the way to the bar for them to bite?
Thks headshot. And ya it feels like I have to pull them a solid 2 inches before the pads hit the rotor. Brand new pads on an xt rotor though

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 10:03 Quote
on the middle of the lever system there is a silver screw that says free stroke, take a screwdriver and unscrew it some turns and that should make the pads come closer to the disc without moving the lever, so that should make the lever be more touchy i mean you just touch it and it brakes.

i hope that helps

i had the same problem 1 week ago when i bought the brakes too

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 10:14 Quote
ilikedh wrote:
on the middle of the lever system there is a silver screw that says free stroke, take a screwdriver and unscrew it some turns and that should make the pads come closer to the disc without moving the lever, so that should make the lever be more touchy i mean you just touch it and it brakes.

i hope that helps

i had the same problem 1 week ago when i bought the brakes too
alright thanks!

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 11:10 Quote
I have saint brakes also. They do seem to naturally have a fair amount of pull at the lever. Your best bet is to just play around with the reach adjustment and bite adjustment screw and try to find a position the works well.

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 11:16 Quote
stratmastertj wrote:
I have saint brakes also. They do seem to naturally have a fair amount of pull at the lever. Your best bet is to just play around with the reach adjustment and bite adjustment screw and try to find a position the works well.
Alright thanks a lot

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 15:58 Quote
I just did a break bleed on my saints, and put in new pads. The lever pull is waaay shorter. Feels like a different brake, in a good way. So maybe there is a little air in your brake lines, or your rotors are worn a bit...idk

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 16:20 Quote
stratmastertj wrote:
I just did a break bleed on my saints, and put in new pads. The lever pull is waaay shorter. Feels like a different brake, in a good way. So maybe there is a little air in your brake lines, or your rotors are worn a bit...idk
just bought both

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 16:35 Quote
You say you are running XT rotors. WIth Saint everything tends to be bigger and stronger. Are you sure the Saint disc rotors arent slightly wider? Thus when using XT rotors the pads then have to travel further to grab the thinner disc. Unlikely but its possible. I know between manufacturers they can use slightly different width discs. But I wouldnt have thought shimano would have used a different one in their range. Just a thought.

But yeh as advised above, if playing with the reach and pad adjust doesnt get the lever to be how you want it to be then get em bled. We have had shimano brakes come through before with either not enough fluid in them or the fluid has gone more like water. It is only mineral fluid after all. Not Dot fluid like a lot of other brakes. My guess is sometimes you just get one that has been on the stock shelf for a while.

Posted: Jan 26, 2011 at 16:59 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
You say you are running XT rotors. WIth Saint everything tends to be bigger and stronger. Are you sure the Saint disc rotors arent slightly wider? Thus when using XT rotors the pads then have to travel further to grab the thinner disc. Unlikely but its possible. I know between manufacturers they can use slightly different width discs. But I wouldnt have thought shimano would have used a different one in their range. Just a thought.

But yeh as advised above, if playing with the reach and pad adjust doesnt get the lever to be how you want it to be then get em bled. We have had shimano brakes come through before with either not enough fluid in them or the fluid has gone more like water. It is only mineral fluid after all. Not Dot fluid like a lot of other brakes. My guess is sometimes you just get one that has been on the stock shelf for a while.
ya i'll use em for a while... try to get the bubbles out of the hoses and stuff. And if they're still too loose after few rides, ill try to re-bleed.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010591
Mobile Version of Website