Lets Talk Pike

• Previous Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 17:45 Quote
I was surprised not to find threads specifically discussing the new RS Pikes from a user or interested user point of view.

I'll start it off with my case but feel free to hijack with anything else Pike. Salute

I'm still not 100% happy with the set up of mine, its not got the small bump compliance that i was lead to believe it would have. Several reviews raved about it, how the Pike had the best of both worlds - small bump and fury-land. it was the new seals, rapid recovery rebound and all that. But the Fox fork I had prior seemed to have a better balance of initial break away, mid stroke composure and full use of its travel when required.

Out of the box the Pike was awful, it struggled to activate then it was so linear that it just blow thru its travel. After a few rides trying different air pressures, I put 2 spacers in (only come with 2) and about 20ml of fork oil. That helped get it closer to a good starting point in regards to sag and handling full-travel hits. At climbing speeds I'm being pinged off roots and rocks without the fork activating, at first I thought tire psi was too high. No complaints once up to speed and bombing rough stuff.

I know a fork's feel in the car-park over small stuff is not the best way to judge it, but compared other forks I've ridden and what every one is saying about the Pike I'm bummed by how it feels. any suggestions???

150mm 26in
90kg / 200lbs with gear
55psi
2 spacers and 20ml oil
sag 25%
3-4 clicks rebound from none
3-4 clicks lo-speed compression

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 19:08 Quote
There's a big Pike discussion thread on MTBR Suspension forum, you might get some ideas:
http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/pike-2014-a-861503.html

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 19:11 Quote
I've had a very similar experience with my RC version Pike. I was on the 26" version with 160mm travel and i also weight 90kg.

I also ran 2 tokens and 55psi. I also experimented with 1 token and 57psi and no tokens and 60psi. My rebound was set very similar to yours also.

Whatever the combo i was using i always felt that the psi acceptable for support and the psi acceptable for decent bump compliance were 5psi apart. After months of experimenting i settled on the 60psi and no tokens setup which gave 25%sag as this seemed to work best for my rough highspeed local tracks.

I came to the conclusion that either the pike was severely overhyped or that i got a dud. I then bought a 2014 55 rc3 evo v2 and sold the pike and couldn't be happier.

Posted: Oct 11, 2014 at 19:51 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
I've had a very similar experience with my RC version Pike. I was on the 26" version with 160mm travel and i also weight 90kg.

I also ran 2 tokens and 55psi. I also experimented with 1 token and 57psi and no tokens and 60psi. My rebound was set very similar to yours also.

Whatever the combo i was using i always felt that the psi acceptable for support and the psi acceptable for decent bump compliance were 5psi apart. After months of experimenting i settled on the 60psi and no tokens setup which gave 25%sag as this seemed to work best for my rough highspeed local tracks.

I came to the conclusion that either the pike was severely overhyped or that i got a dud. I then bought a 2014 55 rc3 evo v2 and sold the pike and couldn't be happier.

thats not the conclusion i was looking for!

i was close to getting the Mattoc, i liked the idea of fully independent hi/lo speed compression over pre-set options half of which I don;t really use, but the Pike was on special

does anyone use the pedal setting?

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 1:29 Quote
I know the slant isn't has good as the Pike,but is the pike worth twice as much as the slant,or should I be looking at the Mattoc,or something else,got the slant to put me on,while I decide.The slant isn't too bad though,would like some comparisons.

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 10:54 Quote
Tbf every RS fork has been shite outta box to the point of having to be returned to disty for QC issues!

They are a ripp off and need to be purchased by a tuned pro outlet i.e. TF Tuned in UK for example as they sort out niggles and setup at point of purchase.

I've sworn from buying RS again.

Only X Fusion from now on!

Well overated RS shite!

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 20:09 Quote
I have the RS 160mm Pike on my bike and have also been struggling to find the sweet spot.

215 lb rider
70 psi
1 token
25% sag

The funny thing is, the guide for PSI would have me at 85-90 which it was out of the box and it was horrible.

Now at the lower setting, I think it is "acceptable" but I'm not blown away like people talk about this fork. I feel like it does a great job of smoothing out drops and moderate jumps, but really suffers on multiple small bumps / trail chatter. Not the end of the wworld, but instead of absorbing or conforming to the trial, it seems to be jumpy and bounce around. It isn't jarring, but it has a sense of poor control.

Not sure what to do other than to play around. I may take the token out, since I have yet to bottom it out. Maybe do that, see if I hit bottom and go from there. If you find any good suggestions, please post. Good luck.

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 20:38 Quote
I've had very short rides on 2 other pikes and noticed that they felt very different than mine.

Seems like a poll could be used to see how many dud pikes are out there. Im thinking about 1 in 10.

Posted: Oct 12, 2014 at 23:25 Quote
Pah and the rest.

Loads on other forums, from what Ive read.

Posted: Oct 13, 2014 at 1:05 Quote
Damn. Now i want to try a good pike to see how it compares to my 55s.

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 2:42 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
Damn. Now i want to try a good pike to see how it compares to my 55s.

its like i should ask "who's impressed by their Pike?"

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 21:04 Quote
Im around 190 lbs geared up running 85psi. (160mm pike) rebound at 12 clicks from slowest. I found this to work really well. Seems like it comes "alive" when you run the rebound faster. I have never had a problem with it blowing through the travel yet.

Posted: Oct 14, 2014 at 23:26 Quote
nate35 wrote:
Im around 190 lbs geared up running 85psi. (160mm pike) rebound at 12 clicks from slowest. I found this to work really well. Seems like it comes "alive" when you run the rebound faster. I have never had a problem with it blowing through the travel yet.

I tried running at 80psi for a while because it was the recommended psi for my weight, but it was ridiculous, it had a very harsh ride and very little grip.

Posted: Oct 15, 2014 at 2:44 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
nate35 wrote:

I tried running at 80psi for a while because it was the recommended psi for my weight, but it was ridiculous, it had a very harsh ride and very little grip.

what set up did you settle with? hows it working out??

Posted: Oct 15, 2014 at 10:09 Quote
Hmmmm....

I have own pike, Marzocchi 55rc3ti and 66rc3ti.

they are both awesome to me. pike wins for light riding such AM and moderate ride.
its so plush and more agyle than my 55.
for bigger drops or root garden, 55 wins just a bit. maybe due to TA15 and TA20. for small bump, i think they are on par.

i was thinking to sell my 55 and just keep pike for general riding and 66 for hard hitting.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.058095
Mobile Version of Website