Powered by Outside

26" or 29"

• Previous Page
Posted: Mar 22, 2015 at 4:39 Quote
what is better 26" or 29". i think 26" but what about you?

Posted: Mar 22, 2015 at 10:12 Quote
haz-steel wrote:

26".
I have contacted Cove,Canfield,Lynskey and Van Nicholas,and asked them to build me a 26" bike.
They have all told me that the market forces them onto the 650b and 29er platform.
And the only way I would get a 26",is to buy a DH bike.
I don't do DH,and I can't see me doing it either.
What they don't realise is they would still sell the smaller wheel by the shedload.
Because as far as I can see,over several forums,they are still in demand.
It forces me to either go the custom route,or second hand.
Feckin' sucks.
Custom frames are very expensive

Posted: Mar 22, 2015 at 17:16 Quote
There is no a better one, both have it pluses and cons, depending on the ridding and terrain one or the other will have more benefits

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2015 at 19:45 Quote
Yes definitely absolutely.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 1:03 Quote
29er is better if u do XC,Trail and that sort of riding! If u want a 26er they r much more chuckable but not as fast on the rolling! Hope this helps!

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 4:15 Quote
Do we have to cover the same topic over and over.

Personally if I have the choice on full suss it will remain 26". Having had 1x carbon ht 29er it felt riding it incredible but lacked somewhat on responsiveness to handling but only slightly I suppose but that's a given due to having tighter turning circle or so it felt.

My bro however is loving his Spearfish full suss 29er and he rides some sketchy stuff and that's 80mm rear of 29" steering down up and across technical sections of which are some of the most challenging in the UK.

He absolutely wouldn't change it for anything.

I like 29ers but it would have to be a hardtail in either carbon or titanium to get the most out of it not nessecarily with carbon wheels though, that would be sheer extravegance and no doubt overkill at this mo in time.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 5:48 Quote
I have a 26 and a 29er. I have not had a chance to ride the 29er on an aggressive trail yet but can tell you on a more xc type trail the 29er flies with those big rollers. For what I do I personally think I will love my 29er and will find it hard to go back and ride the 26er I have. Like the guys said above it comes down to what type of trails and terrain you will be riding. If you are able to test one in each size at the shop that would be the best. If I was doing alot of downhill or crazy aggressive trails I may even look at a 27.5. Good luck, there is alot out there and I know it is tough to choose.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 8:13 Quote
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
haz-steel wrote:

26".
I have contacted Cove,Canfield,Lynskey and Van Nicholas,and asked them to build me a 26" bike.
They have all told me that the market forces them onto the 650b and 29er platform.
What they don't realise is they would still sell the smaller wheel by the shedload.
Feckin' sucks.
The canefiled balance is spec'd for either 26" or 650b. but states to run a 170 mm front fork with the 26" wheels. Also Guerrilla Gravity still makes a 26" frame for its mega trail. Not sure they ship overseas though might be worth a check. Sweet do it all bike at a great price. ridegg.com

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 8:15 Quote
He wants to stick with hardtail I'm pretty sure...(?)

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 8:16 Quote
HT I would buy a 29" frame.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 13:22 Quote
USMC wrote:
haz-steel wrote:

26".
Feckin' sucks.
The canefiled balance is spec'd for either 26" or 650b. but states to run a 170 mm front fork with the 26" wheels. Also Guerrilla Gravity still makes a 26" frame for its mega trail. Not sure they ship overseas though might be worth a check. Sweet do it all bike at a great price. ridegg.com

Must have been because I enquired about the Nimble9
And they didn't mention the Balance.
Might be worth contacting them again
Thanks for the heads up my friend

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 13:24 Quote
I'd go with 26. The bike radar test was the best and most scientific done so far. 26 fastest on downhills, 29 fastest overall. Why was 27.5 slowest? Because the small gain in rollover was not enough to overcome the gain in rotational weight, which slows down the acceleration between obstacles when going downhill. The 29er was fastest because the rollover advantage was so massive that it overcame the increased rotational mass and slower acceleration.

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 13:28 Quote
Ah,just checked that out.
It's regarded as a DH bike.
Not what I was looking for Cry
Ah well,you live in hope

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 15:16 Quote
Ah well,you live in hope
I wouldn't really consider it a DH bike. Have a riding partner runs his with a 160 front fork and 165mm cranks and rides everything on it. 26" wheels

Posted: Mar 23, 2015 at 15:19 Quote
USMC wrote:
Ah well,you live in hope
I wouldn't really consider it a DH bike. Have a riding partner runs his with a 160 front fork and 165mm cranks and rides everything on it. 26" wheels

Mmmm,got me thinking now.
Stop making me think.
I don't like thinking

Just read it properly.
Yip, All Mountain.
Saw the words DH,and immediatley switched off

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013195
Mobile Version of Website