Vallee Bras Du Nord - Anyone been?

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Vallee Bras Du Nord - Anyone been?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 23, 2015 at 17:52 Quote
I plan on making a trip to Vallee Bras Du Nord for some riding. Has any one been? What makes the most sence accomodation wise? Is it a normal thing to ride, camp, then ride? Or ride then drive back to a hotel? The site isn't super clear.

Any advice would be wicked, thanks.

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 9:59 Quote
I went for a few days early July. It's one hell of a place.

If you're a decent rider you MUST do The Nelson. I don't ride much, so this run was pretty hard but well worth it. By far best memory I have of the place. Easily the 'most epic of all time' run I've done.

We had a cottage for the 3 days right near the start of the Shanahan sector (northern). There was a Yurt village, campground, and a few other cottages right near by so all 3 options are perfect starting/ending points for biking.

We spent a day doing some intermediate stuff like Beurre d'erable, Sucre d'orge and it was pretty lame. Very groomed, almost more up than down both ways somehow :p . Only payout for those was ending up at Delaney Falls. It's a really great spot to just hang out at the base of a waterfall basically. Other than that this whole area was lame. Tons of families and kids on these runs.

I really regret not hitting La Boreal. I had a couple people tell me it's really good, but I was held back a bit by others in my group that day. Then we didn't even checkout the St. Raymond sector since we we're rained out 1 of our days...

BTW they have great advice people ready. Gilles (gilles.morneau@videotron.ca) gave me tons of info via e-mail, so try him. One tip he had: Next day can go: Grande Ourse, Neilson, Petite Ourse, Grande Ourse, Chute à Gilles (me :-), Grande Évasion. Right after Chute à Gilles, Aurore + Boreale (called Nouvelle montée + nouvelle descente on the map on the website) is really worth it if you still have energy. It's a hard climb + a flowy descent with options for jumping (or not).

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 13:09 Quote
I reached out to Gilles! Thanks a lot man. Looking to hopeully go mid Sept!

O+
Posted: Sep 9, 2015 at 12:07 Quote
Have fun that place is a blast.

Posted: Nov 3, 2015 at 14:40 Quote
Never updated - I went the weekend of Sept 20th - best riding I have ever done. First day did the trails behind the Roquemont hotel - literally right outside your door. Rooms were great, the restaurant/brewery inside were great. Next day drove to the Shanahan, climbed up to the top and did the Neilson the way down. What an experience. Will post pics if anyones interested.

Posted: Nov 4, 2015 at 7:52 Quote
Glad to hear, and hell ya post some pics!

Posted: Nov 12, 2015 at 17:46 Quote
Actually pretty sure there are none of me on my bike... Mostly my friend, on brown FSR.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 16, 2015 at 6:47 Quote
Good stuff, thanks for posting. I didn't take many pics, but here's a few...

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Nov 18, 2015 at 15:57 Quote
Wow where was that last pic?

Posted: Nov 19, 2015 at 17:59 Quote
Delany falls. It was a few min south of the Shannahan check in building on the other side of the river. There was a new, probably not mapped yet bike trail to get to it. Before this year it was a hike to only.

Posted: Nov 20, 2015 at 20:41 Quote
ChaseMe wrote:
Delany falls. It was a few min south of the Shannahan check in building on the other side of the river. There was a new, probably not mapped yet bike trail to get to it. Before this year it was a hike to only.

Sounds like something I'll be checking out this summer! right on

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 29, 2016 at 11:14 Quote
Heading here next week........excited.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 6, 2016 at 15:49 Quote
@gbort you really missed out not doing Neilson.

What a trail... Simply awesome.

::edit:: reread above and it sounds like you did do Neilson. Maybe it was somewhere else that I read about someone skipping it.

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2016 at 8:03 Quote
Yeah, we're going to need more pics than that buddy!

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 8, 2016 at 18:08 Quote
I didn't take many pictures of the actual trail. It was honestly too much fun to stop riding. Section after section of ear grinning pleasure.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013558
Mobile Version of Website