Powered by Outside

Rant about presta valves

• Previous Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 6:27 Quote
Just wanted to let some steam off and also question why presta valves seem to be the most common.
I first set up my old bike tubeless with some schraeder valves cut off some old tubes and they worked really well. I did this mainly as I was able to use the air compressor that most cars have instead of a spare tyre and it pumps out enough air to seat a tubeless tyre with ease. Also schraeder valves also allow me to use the compressor at the local petrol station if I need that little bit more. Always worked a treat. Sold that bike and got a new one already set up tubeless with presta valves. Decided to fit my winter tyres on it and was lucky that the front snapped on just using my track pump. Rear I was not so lucky. I pumped that thing til I nearly collapsed and still couldn't get the bead to snap into place, all the pulling and flaffing around wouldn't get it to go and yes I removed the valve core. So I decided to crack the compressor out of the car, got it all set up whilst getting sealant everywhere and shit, the valves are presta and will not work with anything I have access to except my track pump. Shit. Only options were to drive and buy a co2 pump or keep pumping like crazy on the track pump with a roll of tape handy to tape the parts of the tyre that had snapped on to the rip whilst I pulled at the other parts whilst still pumping. I'll be buying a set of tubeless scraeder valves when I change tyres again as this could have been so much easier with a compressor. Unfortunately I ran out of old tubes to butcher to make a new valve. Thanks for reading my rant and sorry to any die-hard presta fans.

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 7:31 Quote
I'll be ordering one

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 7:45 Quote
you not alone. death to presta. sadly most rims are only made to fit them now. shrader sized rim holes are rare.
shrader a far superior in every way.
my biggest grief is that if I wanna top up mid ride the dam things unswew when I take my pump/valve cap or co2 off then removing the core and dumping all the air out. and that's if I'm. lucky enough that they don't snap off. gonna have to start drilling them out myself

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 8:38 Quote
I drilled the last rims before building them up. I just can't see why presta is so popular.

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 13:46 Quote
99p on eBay but didn't have one at the time. You can put it down to piss poor preparation on my part but my rant is why the favour of presta while most other sports, industries etc use Schrader and the endless utilities and support in place for it. Only cycling industry has to piss in the wind on this one

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 15:27 Quote
thegoodflow wrote:
You're the problem, not the presto valve. Good luck.

he needs procore

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 16:35 Quote
thegoodflow wrote:
Not a fan of thinking outside the box? Enjoy being a sheep who takes what the industry feeds you without thinking why? and wouldn't this be better and more simple? Enjoy buying adaptors for everything to fit when an easy solution would be to use the same things as everyone else? I can understand using presta on road bikes with thin rims but in mtb where rims are wide, sorry but I can't see it. I wonder where we would be if every person who announced a question or idea in history were told by some tit "your the problem"...

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 20:13 Quote
I like schrader better too. The biggest advantage and why Presta came about is it ability to run higher psi. Which it mainly for road bikes. Schrader is good for up to 60psi; this covers 100% of MTB including dirt jumping. Maybe they leak air slightly faster than Presta , but you have to adjust and check your air pressure regularly anyways regardless of what valve your using. Nothing wrong with Presta but I agree schrader is better all around.

Posted: Dec 23, 2018 at 22:39 Quote
shrader can do more than 60psi. trucks and trailer are up past 100psi in alot of cases. especially the high load stuff.

Posted: Dec 24, 2018 at 2:21 Quote
thegoodflow wrote:
Spangoolies wrote:
thegoodflow wrote:
Not a fan of thinking outside the box? Enjoy being a sheep who takes what the industry feeds you without thinking why? and wouldn't this be better and more simple? Enjoy buying adaptors for everything to fit when an easy solution would be to use the same things as everyone else? I can understand using presta on road bikes with thin rims but in mtb where rims are wide, sorry but I can't see it. I wonder where we would be if every person who announced a question or idea in history to be told by some tit "your the problem"

So, you think I'm a sheep that can't think critically and eats up whatever the industry feeds me... that I can't think outside the box... but you think bikes should use shraeder valves because that's what cars and other industries use? You're being a bit hypocritical there... is that irony really lost on you?

I've been using presta valves for 20 years and have literally never had any of the problems you guys are having. It's pretty obvious to anyone that knows how to work on a bike that this is user error. I'm sorry that you're not able to wrap your head around such a complex mechanical contraption that the industry has shoved down our throats. Feel free to drill your rims, you open minded free spirit. Take that bike industry!

I think you are having difficulty reading. I already stated it was poor preparation on my part but I came here to discuss why the industry is leaning towards presta when there is a better support base for schrader in place as described on my other posts. The way I see it is there are more pros than cons for schrader but I'm all ears to sensible reasons why not and I'll be happy to say I didn't think of that and thankyou to anyone who provides a good sensible answer. I don't have time for moronic answers like 'your the problem'. That's just a dick comment. I've been using schrader for over 21 years without a problem so on your level of thinking does that make me win/right? Merry Christmas

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008515
Mobile Version of Website