Powered by Outside

Large diameter grips

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Large diameter grips
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 2, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
Hi all, I'm looking for some bar grips that have a large diameter and maybe contain a gel or similiar. Years ago i managed to get my hand jammed in an industrial machine, I cannot make a fist and have very weak grip, I'm OK on trails but when it comes to long bumpy descents I simply don't have the grip to hang on and my hand can become painful.
If anyone has any info on i'd be grateful
cheers

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
plloydie wrote:
Hi all, I'm looking for some bar grips that have a large diameter and maybe contain a gel or similiar. Years ago i managed to get my hand jammed in an industrial machine and I cannot make a fist and have very weak grip, I'm OK on trails but when it comes to long bumpy descents I simply don't have the grip to hang on and my hand can become painful.
If anyone has any info on i'd be grateful
cheers

ODI Rogue, 33 mm - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hr/en/odi-rogue-lock-on-bonus-pack-grips/rp-prod399

Ergon GA2 Fat, 33 mm - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hr/en/ergon-ga2-fat-grips/rp-prod169975

Wolf Tooth Fat Paw, aprox. 36-37 mm - https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=177823;menu=1000,2,90;mid%5B856%5D=1;orderby=3

Rev grips, 31, 32.5, 34 mm - https://revgrips.com/
these are "suspension grips" at least that's what they call them, check out how they work, maybe they spark your interest

i have only tried the odi myself from the bunch above, they have just the right amount of squish, for me at least

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
Many thanks, I'll take a look through them just now.

O+
Posted: May 2, 2019 at 15:49 Quote
http://www.chromagbikes.com/grips/squarewave-xl

I run the Chromag Squarewave XL and I wear a size xxl glove. . . they have a bulge in the middle that really helps me prevent arm pump. They aren't a gel grip though. . .

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 17:39 Quote
Oury with the ODI lockon. I have ran them for years on my mtn as well as my moto bikes. Very tacky grips.

Similar to the Rogue with slightly larger diameter. Have ran both.

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 2:51 Quote
Thanks all I' ve gone with ODI rogue for now. . just gotta wait for them to arrive. Cheers

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 6:35 Quote
Thicker grips actually make it harder to grip the bar, grip is at its strongest the closer to a closed fist your hand is.
Though running a thicker grip for a few weeks then going back to normal grips will improve your grip strength.

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
Its all about the fit for your hand. Its not a one size fits all. I don't like to grip terribly hard, so, with larger hands, I like a tacky grip that allows me to hold on without a death grip. Do this too much on a dirt bike and you get terrible arm pump.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
thanks again for the replies, My main problem is that due to the nature of my accident my fingers don't bend fully and only one finger will actually touch the palm of my hand when I try to make a fist, so I'm hoping a large diameter grip will perhaps allow all my fingers to tighten on the grip. My current set up is ok but as stated when I come to longish bumpy descents Im hanging on and usually have to slow down so I can control the bike or risk going a box of sh#te and having an accident.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 11:41 Quote
If you can't find a grip that works, try using road bike bar tape, possibly wrapping over a foam grip. You can make it as thick as you want!

The two largest grips are the Fat Paw, mentioned above, and the new Sensus Meaty Paw at 38 mm.

There are several grips around 33 mm (Oury, ODI Dread Lock, Lizard Skins North Shore, etc.).

Don't worry about a gel compound. I'm not saying you don't want a soft grip, just don't worry about the "gel" label. Some "gel" grips contain little or no actual gel material and some non-gel grips can be softer than "gel" models.

If you get a more traditional diameter grip, such one of the 33 mm models, avoid the lock-on design and get a push-on. The hard plastic of a lock-on usually takes up a fair amount of the diameter, leaving you with less rubber.

bigburd wrote:
Thicker grips actually make it harder to grip the bar, grip is at its strongest the closer to a closed fist your hand is.
Though running a thicker grip for a few weeks then going back to normal grips will improve your grip strength.

Even if that's true - and I'm not convinced it's universally so - for typical grip diameters, that stat wouldn't account for the effect over the duration of a ride - and it certainly wouldn't account for plloydie's hand injury.

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 12:04 Quote
DMR Death grips, thick version (31.3mm).

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 17:10 Quote
I like fatter grips and I have tried wrapping the bar with cloth or duct tape before putting on the grips. It makes them swell a little under your palm for more diameter. (You must use the non-locking style grips though; they cannot be rigid grips.)

Posted: May 8, 2019 at 19:27 Quote
plloydie wrote:
thanks again for the replies, My main problem is that due to the nature of my accident my fingers don't bend fully and only one finger will actually touch the palm of my hand when I try to make a fist, so I'm hoping a large diameter grip will perhaps allow all my fingers to tighten on the grip. My current set up is ok but as stated when I come to longish bumpy descents Im hanging on and usually have to slow down so I can control the bike or risk going a box of sh#te and having an accident.

I'm no doctor but I think it would defiantly be a good idea to do some stretching and other such activities to strengthen that hand. I really feel bad for you man. Not being able to shred is the work. Ask your doc about where you could get some help.
Cheers and hope you can find what you need to be able to ride better

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 8:20 Quote
KeyScales wrote:
plloydie wrote:

I'm no doctor but I think it would defiantly be a good idea to do some stretching and other such activities to strengthen that hand. I really feel bad for you man. Not being able to shred is the work. Ask your doc about where you could get some help.
Cheers and hope you can find what you need to be able to ride better

Thanks for the concern, I had the accident 23 years ago . I have basically crimped my fingers every 1/2 inch or so through a set of rollers on a machine with a faulty lockout ( i didnnt know it was faulty) I had several broken bones but what causes the restricted movement is I have "crimped" the tendons so they don't move freely.I had plenty of physio back in the day . Like I said I'm ok on single track etc but occasionally come across a long rrocky/rooty descent and that when I have problems.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 1.236594
Mobile Version of Website