Trek Slash 2021 ?

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Slash 2021 ?
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 4:37 Quote
Hello guys
As you know the current slash iteration hasn't changed since its launch in 2017. I tried for several days and almost bought a current generation slash and absolutely loved it, but I was wondering how the new one would be. As more and more long-travel 29ers hit the market ( YT Capra, Specialized Enduro or Devinci Spartan 29 ) I wanted to know your opinions : do you expect a Slash with longer travel and if yes, do you think Trek will do it ?

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 1:33 Quote
arthur-dpy wrote:
Hello guys
As you know the current slash iteration hasn't changed since its launch in 2017. I tried for several days and almost bought a current generation slash and absolutely loved it, but I was wondering how the new one would be. As more and more long-travel 29ers hit the market ( YT Capra, Specialized Enduro or Devinci Spartan 29 ) I wanted to know your opinions : do you expect a Slash with longer travel and if yes, do you think Trek will do it ?

Definitely. I think trek will follow the trend like specialized with the enduro, or rocky mountain with their slayer.

I bet the new slash will have at least 160mm of travel in the rear, if not 170, and at least 170 or even 180mm of travel in the front. Maybe a 64° HA, and steeper STA, longer reach.....blabla, as usual.

I personnaly like the actual slash ( aluminium model), because it is a very versatile bike and not just a race weapon. I am pretty sure I will not buy the 2021 slash because I know it will be too big for my use. I will maybe come back to the remedy, or maybe the fuel ex.

Posted: Feb 25, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
jurassicrider wrote:
arthur-dpy wrote:
Hello guys

Definitely. I think trek will follow the trend like specialized with the enduro, or rocky mountain with their slayer.

I bet the new slash will have at least 160mm of travel in the rear, if not 170, and at least 170 or even 180mm of travel in the front. Maybe a 64° HA, and steeper STA, longer reach.....blabla, as usual.

I personnaly like the actual slash ( aluminium model), because it is a very versatile bike and not just a race weapon. I am pretty sure I will not buy the 2021 slash because I know it will be too big for my use. I will maybe come back to the remedy, or maybe the fuel ex.

Agree 100%. Love my current 2019 Slash, but not sure I would go for a much bigger bike. Still waiting for the next generation Slash to come out before I make my next bike move. If it is a dramatically bigger and slacker than the current version I may be looking at a Remedy or a Fuel EX.

FL
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 0:14 Quote
billbrasky wrote:
jurassicrider wrote:
arthur-dpy wrote:
Hello guys

Agree 100%. Love my current 2019 Slash, but not sure I would go for a much bigger bike. Still waiting for the next generation Slash to come out before I make my next bike move. If it is a dramatically bigger and slacker than the current version I may be looking at a Remedy or a Fuel EX.

Or could we see the birth of a whole new platform ? Brands like Canyon still propose a "150mm 29er enduro race bike" while having longer travel options. Something like YT, with a capra 27 and capra 29 ?

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 2:02 Quote
Hmmm, it's not impossible, considering that Trek has always been kind of conservative with their bikes.
Even the geometry of new fuel ex, while longer, slacker, lower thant the previous fuel ex, is actually not that extreme (75.5 STA, 66HA...)

So, maybe trek will propose, as canyon did with their strive, a new slash model with a quite "conservative" geometry and the same travel, but I really doubt about it...because, unlike canyon with their torque, they have currently nothing to propose between the slash and the session (unless they decide to release a new, lets say, scratch model, then it will make perfect sense to keep the slash as a long legged 29er trail bike).

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 6:32 Quote
jurassicrider wrote:
Hmmm, it's not impossible, considering that Trek has always been kind of conservative with their bikes.
Even the geometry of new fuel ex, while longer, slacker, lower thant the previous fuel ex, is actually not that extreme (75.5 STA, 66HA...)

So, maybe trek will propose, as canyon did with their strive, a new slash model with a quite "conservative" geometry and the same travel, but I really doubt about it...because, unlike canyon with their torque, they have currently nothing to propose between the slash and the session (unless they decide to release a new, lets say, scratch model, then it will make perfect sense to keep the slash as a long legged 29er trail bike).

Makes since to me. The Slash as is now is right where I want it. Big enough for the trails I ride at bike parks, fast for racing, and manageable on everyday / long rides. Would like to see a few tweaks like seat angle, dropper insertion, and storage compartment though.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 17:00 Quote
Maybe we'll see the slash get an update as a 2021, but keep similar travel and get the re-introduction of the scratch at the 170-180mm travel size. Otherwise there's a pretty substantial gap between the Fuel EX and the theoretical ~170mm slash.

Or maybe we'll get the remedy 29 again and the slash will indeed go longer.

There's no way the slash won't get an update this year in general though.

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
j-t-g wrote:
Maybe we'll see the slash get an update as a 2021, but keep similar travel and get the re-introduction of the scratch at the 170-180mm travel size. Otherwise there's a pretty substantial gap between the Fuel EX and the theoretical ~170mm slash.

Or maybe we'll get the remedy 29 again and the slash will indeed go longer.

There's no way the slash won't get an update this year in general though.

I agree with this. If they had plans to make the Slash a bigger bike I think you would have seen the new Fuel EX at 140mm. The fact that they kept it at 130mm makes me think they will keep the new Slash where it's at, but update to more modern geometry. I might have to jump on this should it happen. I love my Slash 8 but would like a bit more reach and a steeper seat tube angle.

FL
Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 2:41 Quote
I don't know if any of you saw it, but the recent bike check of Pedro Burns mentions "160mm of travel out back". https://youtu.be/PiFImXHYnhY
So just a pro frame or or an uncovered 2021 version ?
The only thing that intrigues me is that the shock still is 230x57,5

Posted: Mar 10, 2020 at 4:05 Quote
arthur-dpy wrote:
I don't know if any of you saw it, but the recent bike check of Pedro Burns mentions "160mm of travel out back". https://youtu.be/PiFImXHYnhY
So just a pro frame or or an uncovered 2021 version ?
The only thing that intrigues me is that the shock still is 230x57,5

Naah...just a standard frame with specific paint job. The frame looks pretty much identical to the current model: same shape, same seat angle....the only answer to the 160mm rear travel is that is certainly is a 230x60mm shock, not a 230x57.

FL
Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 0:07 Quote
It looks this years frame, because next year will have for sure the trek swat box, and some adjustments arround the shock area.
I would agree that will go up in travel, and some geo changes.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
You guys should keep throwing ideas out there Wink

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 13:48 Quote
I'm just curious how the 2020's Slash's lower offset fork rides compared to the year before...

I have 9.8 from 2019 and I like it but you have to be deliberate in weighting the front end and it can feel floppy in situations on the trail. Wonder if the reduced offset remedies that. Either that or changing the fork travel to 150mm.

As for 2021 - keep it similar to what works and maybe steepen then seat angle a degree. Nothing too mental as people still need to ride it on the flats. Nice to have a bike that can be versatile and still throw it down a DH track once in a while.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 5:48 Quote
During the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s, there was a pro wrestler from Milwaukee called the Crusher… On his Wikipedia page he was described as “tough as nails and a brawler”..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crusher_(wrestler)

When introduced the Slash was a genre defining bike. The Enduro, Slayer and Firebird have upped the ante… The future portends a new Range and Sentinel. Time to reclaim the mantle!

The new Crusher… 170mm front and rear, coil, 157 super boost.. “Tough as nails and a brawler!”

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 8:11 Quote
Oh my god Trek please do not use super boost.

All mountain bikes that aren't dirt jumpers or fat bikes should be boost 148. there should be no other rear hub standard. You can't change my mind.

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012314
Mobile Version of Website