19 Hightower LT leftover vs 20 hightower

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
19 Hightower LT leftover vs 20 hightower
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
I went to my local shop for a tire yesterday and almost came home with a leftover hightower LT. Its a carbon S built and I am pretty sure it had the DT swiss wheels and not the reserves. I could get it for $3800. The bad news was I took it for a ride and really liked it and want it real bad. My plan was this summer to pick up a 2020 Hightower Aluminum R build or an Ibis Ripmo AF. But this left over has got to be close to the shops cost and one heck of a deal. I don't care if I have the latest and greatest and I am not a racer just a trail rider in the north east US who likes saving money but...

My question .... would I regret not getting the hightower v2? Or would I be happy with the LT?

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
Are the changes between model years that significant? Is the price of the newer model with lower specs and the time it takes to get that bike worth it? Are your trails rideable now? That last one if it is a no would suck to have that shiny new bike sitting there in your living room but you can't ride it except on sidewalks and streets. For me I'd take a close out with better specs as long as the geo, dimensions & travel fit what I wanted. If there is a too good a price to pass up amount that works for you and the shop without being a D or insulting go in with that offer.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 17:54 Quote
Are trails are good to go. The shop is listing this price to anyone so I need to act fast so I dont lose it.

New Hightower c s built lists at $5200. I think this one listed at $4900? So SC raised the price 2020 ? Not sure but this is a 19 CS build. New HT is 1 deg slacker 20mm longer 150/140 mm travel vs 150/150 for the lt. New Hightower has the flip chip to run 29 or 27.5 tires. HTLT can only run 29. I dont see running it as a 27.5 and 1 deg and 20mm seems like a small difference. But new HT has the shock layout of the mega tower and nomad. Is that worth the money. They didn't have a newer HT to try so I couldn't compare. My guess is with out a hard trail ride you can't tell anything. Curious if anyone out there has been on both and there thoughts?

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 18:19 Quote
I know some one that got a lt and then found out the new ht came out and wish he waited cause all the new Santa Cruz bikes has the new linkage across the line.

Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 19:53 Quote
The LT is a hoot. I have the same bike and paid that for mine with a store closing, Sbuild as well, but I ended up swapping everything except susp. I did later swap in a DPX2 which transformed the bike. Well worth the spend later.

Only thing I am not thrilled about is the color. Liked matte till I got it dirty.

Added Reserves late last year and it is just getting better. There are a few things I don't like about the new ones. But if I rode one I may look past them, so I keep enjoying mine. Ha!

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 20:36 Quote
There is an XL & a M new model Hightower for sale at about $3800 from the rental / demo fleet.

https://otesports.com/locations/sedona/demo-deals/?fbclid=IwAR34pVVeWvSisDzBqiNsgTlARxneMjnKZkvEwFyGy-HMCKiSvmgL5WIxF04

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 9:04 Quote
Super deal https://www.summitbicycles.com/product/santa-cruz-hightower-lt-carbon-c-s-341667-1.htm

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 9:18 Quote
I am letting fate and PB decide if I get this. If no one gives me good reason not to buy it by Saturday I will go to the shop. If it's still at the shop for sale and I can't ride a new 2020 HT then I'm buying it. The deal is solid, having read a bunch about the LT I think it might be better for here on the NE of the US.

Actually the more I read about the LT the more I worry it's too much bike for the eastern US. I agree for some trails and thats why I have a hard tail. I guess I'll join the overbiked crowd being passed by 12 year olds on 20" wheeled walmart bikes. "I'm just not feeling it today' "I for got my energy drink' 'I would have taken him but tommorrow is my euduro day" I need to keep working on my excuses i think.

Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
LOL. My Tallboy was only a little bit more pedal efficient than my LT. This bike actually tracks better over roots going uphill due to it having more travel. I ride in the NC foothills and yes, more than I need most times, but a lot more fun. My LT is almost at the same weight now as my TB. The DPX2 is a worthy upgrade if not buying a CC that has it. Even in the mid position, the bike handles the rough stuff really well. I leave it there 99% of the time.

I have no regrets and most everything I ride is up and down, pedal a lot.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 10:13 Quote
Fate is still leading me to be passed by 12 year olds! Up hill roots are thing here too, I was hoping the length of the bike would help hadn't thought about the travel. I'll have to keep an eye out on the classified for an DPX2 ... this one is the stock DPS the C S build has

Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
Haha, age has that effect!

I picked mine up in the classifieds. It is/was a C S build as well. Everything has been replaced now except the seatpost and fork. LOL

Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 10:59 Quote
I really did not have any major issue with the DPS. DPX is just a bit more supportive and more tune-able.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
Good to know about the shock. I'd leave the bike stock for a while till I knew what I'd want to change if anything. I like the C S build, pretty solid get it done kind of build, upgrade in stages as things wear.

I saw this bike the day after my 47th birthday so this might be a midlife crisis buy. They also had a New Heckler CC which I definity don't think I need to buy to keep up on group rides .. .yet, But I still own my 2004 Heckler so I am in the camp of the new Heckler is a blasphemy to the name. BUT with the new Heckler I'd have a better chance of passing that kid on the up hill ... I hope anyway.

Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 12:49 Quote
I turned 50 last year...in April. Bought the LT in May. Wink

but, I already had a CC Talboy. Put all the stuff from the new bike on the TB and sold it. Many of my parts I have had for some time. Also picked up a set of Reserves on closeout in the fall. Not crazy about the color, but cannot complain about how she rides...up or down.

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 6:29 Quote
I rode a V2 S build and the end of last year. Awesome bike. A few weeks later I found an s build(non carbon wheels) LT for sale on here out of a bike shop is California. Ended up getting it for 3100 shipped. The deal was so good I jumped on it even though I never road a HTLT. The LT felt a bit more nimble to me and seemed to be easier to climb with. Havent ridden any gnarly downhill stuff yet but the LT descends VERY well so far.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008292
Mobile Version of Website