Powered by Outside

Marzhocchi bomber z1 fork turning red

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Marzhocchi bomber z1 fork turning red
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 20:51 Quote
So I noticed on the bottom of my right stanchion of my fork it's literally starting to turn dark red. It's not something I spilled on it, I don't have pictures atm. It's like a dark red, I was thinking overheating somehow, just curious if anyone had the same issue. Going to contact marzhocchi about it on Monday.

FL
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 4:11 Quote
Sure it's not just the top coat coming away and the primer showing through?

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 5:09 Quote
Maybe they are heat treated before anodizing and the anodization has worn away due to lack of lubrication or maintenance, other than that don't have a clue. Maybe put a photo in your pinkbike album and link to it here.

FL
Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
carbonsinglespeed wrote:
If OP is talking about the stanchion I highly doubt the stanchion is painted...

Ah, I clearly didn't read it properly!!

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 11:44 Quote
Sorry I meant my fork lowers. Regardless of what is happening I'm worried that marzocchi will not cover the fork or any issues because I have owned it for more than a year.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
Sorry I meant my fork lowers. Regardless of what is happening I'm worried that marzocchi will not cover the fork or any issues because I have owned it for more than a year.

If it is the lowers it won't be anything serious or affect performance in any way...if you are bothered from a cosmetic point of view send the lowers off to a reputable sprayer or frame restorer to get painted.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 11:55 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Gmoneyog1 wrote:

If it is the lowers it won't be anything serious or affect performance in any way...if you are bothered from a cosmetic point of view send the lowers off to a reputable sprayer or frame restorer to get painted.

Somewhat good to hear, just annoyed that it's happening in the first place, of course right after it's out of warranty hahaha.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
On the other hand that does look quite bad, it looks like corrosion but how it could have corroded like that when nothing has been spilt on it I don't know. I wouldn't ride them like that, I never realised it would be so bad as that, thought it was just blemished paint, magnesium alloy lowers can oxidise a bit on the surface if chipped but that looks very corroded, definitely send them pics to Marzocchi. It definitely looks like some chemical has erroded the paint and caused it to blister so how sure are you nothing spilt on it? Have you had DOT brake fluid anywhere near it?

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 12:05 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
On the other hand that does look quite bad, it looks like corrosion but how it could have corroded like that when nothing has been spilt on it I don't know. I wouldn't ride them like that, I never realised it would be so bad as that, thought it was just blemished paint, magnesium alloy lowers can oxidise a bit on the surface if chipped but that looks very corroded, definitely send them pics to Marzocchi. It definitely looks like some chemical has erroded the paint and caused it to blister so how sure are you nothing spilt on it? Have you had DOT brake fluid anywhere near it?

Bike is kept near no chemicals, nothing else on the bike is blemished like that, I haven't had dot fluid in my garage in over 2 years. (I only use Shimano brakes) I wash the bike with simple green and water, so unless someone spilt something on it that I didn't know of, I don't know how it happened.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 12:10 Quote
I originally thought it might've been something that spilt on that paint, but I keep my bike far away from any chemicals I do have, and the chemicals I do have aren't really corrosive, plus they're stored in a cabinet anyways.

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
Looks like heat or chemical damage. You don’t have it anywhere near a car exhaust when storing or travelling?

Posted: Dec 6, 2020 at 12:26 Quote
Spangoolies wrote:
Looks like heat or chemical damage. You don’t have it anywhere near a car exhaust when storing or travelling?

I have it in my truck bed when driving to the trails (40min round trip)

Never really traveled long distance with the bike.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016085
Mobile Version of Website