Powered by Outside

How much longer with PB as we know it last?

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
How much longer with PB as we know it last?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 22:42 Quote
Who else is wondering what the heck is going on behind the scenes since the acquisition?
What seems fishy?
What’s changed, for you? What’s NOT changed and makes you think everything’s OK?
What is the deal with BETA?
How soon before a Mike or another legacy editor leaves the site?

I’m not a narc, I’m not Robin. I’m just another long-time user with questions.

Let’s discuss and hope the mods don’t shut this down.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 14:50 Quote
I'm wondering as well. Just clicked on the first "Beta" post wondering what's different about it and was redirected to their site. I'll be skipping those posts from now on.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 15:04 Quote
ttollefsbol wrote:
I'm wondering as well. Just clicked on the first "Beta" post wondering what's different about it and was redirected to their site. I'll be skipping those posts from now on.

I wonder if that's how they're planning on segregating paid content. There just isn't that much content on Beta, though it is of good quality. Seems to take longer to shoot/write, edit and put those articles together. If they drop a Beta story every, say 10-20 posts, that's not the worst thing, and it should be easy enough to tag those into an adblocker so you don't have to see them. If they do it every 5 posts, that's going to be obnoxious. That'd be enough to get me to cancel my Beta subscription on principle alone. Businesses be businesses, I get it, but hamfisted marketing is a sore spot. (Subscribed to Beta magazine when it first launched, long before this whole Outside/PB fiasco.) Hopefully they realize that trying to saturate the free feed is going to be counterproductive.

Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 15:19 Quote
So , I was upset too that I couldn’t see the alps photo epic which was posted today, I’ve been a PB’er for over a decade now, and my fondest MTB memories (or fantasies anyway) stemmed from the bikes and trips depicted in those articles, I’ll be gutted to see those unavailable to the whole going forward (if that’s what happens).

Should it be free? I’m not sure, it certainly isn’t free to create, am I upset it may no longer be free, yes, do I suspect PB / Outside have done the maths on ad revenue etc. and consider it necessary, yeah, but at what level, I’m not sure.

If there was ever a time for a podcast episode or future vision article this is surely it - a lot of people are emotionally invested in this place, though I do see there are people who are financially invested (and dependant) on it as well. I hope it will all be ok.

FL
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 21:13 Quote
I think they’re underestimating the extent to which most Pinkbike members will resist clicking on the paid content. People here will not do it out of principle, and to give the middle finger to Outside.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 21:39 Quote
It's so tough for me. I've been on Pinkbike since I was 12, I'm now 25. So, for over half of my life I've been checking this website more or less every day. It's definitely changed a lot in that time, from being primarily a social media site to its current position as a legitimate media outlet. Even before the Outside buyout a lot of what I loved about Pinkbike was changing, the main change being the elimination of PODs and VODs. Those used to be such a huge part of the site, and PODs routinely got 100+ comments. Anyone remember when video trailers were in the sidebar? It's kind of a bummer to see Pinkbike changing the way it is...it's been such a huge part of my childhood, adolescence and adulthood. I really hope Pinkbike as we know it isn't in its final days, but I'm not too optimistic. I will definitely not be paying for any content out of principle, I don't wish to support Outside

FL
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 21:46 Quote
who cares, there's allways vital

Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 23:37 Quote
Ad wall. F>#K this.

Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 1:39 Quote
thelumberjack wrote:
So , I was upset too that I couldn’t see the alps photo epic which was posted today, I’ve been a PB’er for over a decade now, and my fondest MTB memories (or fantasies anyway) stemmed from the bikes and trips depicted in those articles, I’ll be gutted to see those unavailable to the whole going forward (if that’s what happens).

Should it be free? I’m not sure, it certainly isn’t free to create, am I upset it may no longer be free, yes, do I suspect PB / Outside have done the maths on ad revenue etc. and consider it necessary, yeah, but at what level, I’m not sure.

If there was ever a time for a podcast episode or future vision article this is surely it - a lot of people are emotionally invested in this place, though I do see there are people who are financially invested (and dependant) on it as well. I hope it will all be ok.

Would you believe anything they had to say about the future? They said PB would always be free at one point. They also said Trailforks would be free. Personally I'd take any claims about the future with a pinch of salt. I think they're going to be very disappointed with the numbers of people who'll pay the subscription fee.

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 4:31 Quote
I don't mind paying for decent content, just to get this out of the way. But what the hell is this Beta MTB thing?
Not even an article explaining wtf the purpose is of this?

I don't mind paying on Pinkbike to support the article makers, Trailforks and even the upkeep of the site. But all of a sudden their is a new site, no announcement, nope, just pure ads. Weird AF to me

Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 4:37 Quote
I wish the comments were open on Beta articles, we're being deprived of the best user-generated content, right here in our own comments sections!!!

I am also a long-time member of PB, like back to OG Rampage and Drop-In and Benderrrrrrr - I have to say the quality of PB has clearly increased over the years, however I am not a fan of the price a subscription to trail forks costs, or the fact I am browsing PB and get these Beta articles shoved in my face.

Pinkbike - much like the eBike content filter, give us a paid content/paywall filter, and for the love of god, allow us to minimize the Outside+ white ugly bar at the top of every PB page. Thanks in advance.

Be safe, be well, be sa-well
-booMcaT

FL
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 5:07 Quote
paying for something allready funded by ad revenue tho.............?

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 5:24 Quote
MaximumOfBass wrote:
I don't mind paying for decent content, just to get this out of the way. But what the hell is this Beta MTB thing?
Not even an article explaining wtf the purpose is of this?

I don't mind paying on Pinkbike to support the article makers, Trailforks and even the upkeep of the site. But all of a sudden their is a new site, no announcement, nope, just pure ads. Weird AF to me

Beta is a paper MTB magazine, started by the old crew when Bike magazine went under. Beta got folded into (or was started under?) the Outside umbrella. Looks like when PB was bought by Outside, the powers that be thought it would be a great idea to use PB as a funnel to Beta subscriptions.

Bike was known for their quality of writing, (if not always of their opinions,) and the quality of their photography. Beta still carries on the best of that, which is why I paid for THAT from the beginning.

I have no problem with paying for content that I feel is valuable, as long as it's upfront. Paying for Beta, paying for Trailforks. A few years back, I'd have paid for PB as well. It costs money to keep the lights on, and server fees ain't cheap for the traffic that they have to support, and I loathe the giant background image ads. (Assuming here that my payment would offset the loss of revenue from not showing me ads, plus a little bit.) I'm not sure if I'm getting more than a nickel a day in value out of here anymore though. Too many ads, not enough transparency, and the "will always be free" crap. They can't know, so they shouldn't say.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 11:21 Quote
Beta is too sterile, too polished. PB has an edge and real people behind it. I am okay with change, but the changes that I am seeing are not good. This roll-out in stages looks very corporate and well planned out. In 6 months, I think things on this site will be very different. Better?....who knows.....

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 11:57 Quote
deanw wrote:
Beta is too sterile, too polished. PB has an edge and real people behind it. I am okay with change, but the changes that I am seeing are not good. This roll-out in stages looks very corporate and well planned out. In 6 months, I think things on this site will be very different. Better?....who knows.....

I don't know if I agree with PB having any edge outside of the comment section or forum. There are real people behind both Beta and PB but if I want an interesting attitude and view, I go read NSMB.

But yeah, I'm with you on the planned roll out thing. Feels like it's not being communicated better because they're sure users would disappear in droves if they told anyone what's coming...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017374
Mobile Version of Website